AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

FloridaBoy 09-15-2016 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comzee (Post 803616)
Hmm, I guess Dennis makes more than one version of the Fire-Bottle?
Mine is the "SE HO" version.

Comzee, the Psvane power tubes take a long time to open up. I've not tried the KKT88 but really enjoy the KT66z and CV-181's.

Analog Addict 09-15-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoGT3 (Post 803447)
Analog,
Two quick tube related question:
When guys ran the Hot Rod amp through its passes you settled on a set of vintage TS 6550's as your favorites. Did you try the reissue GL KT88? Many have said they are awfully close. At the same time, Brent Jessee has lightly used set of 3 hole getter TS 6550's for a reasonable price, little more than a new quad of GL KT88s. I suspect in the PSE they would have a very long life given how gently it is working the output tubes.

Second, any thoughts on the Sylvania 6SN7GT ("bad boy") you liked in the Hot Rod compared to the metal base 6SN7W you preferred in the PSE? Is it splitting hairs?

Thanks, starting to load up on tubes for the eventual PSE purchase.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm not sure I'd have paid $300 for the Tung Sol 6550s. However, I was collecting tubes before I met Dennis, so I don't think I paid more than $100-$120 for my pair. Additionally I have an essentially new quad of the Tung Sol 6550 grey plates without holes that came in my H/K Citation II amp, so I may have to grab a pair for some critical listening. Perhaps I'm a tube snob, but I've never heard any new power tubes that quite matched up to the performance of the best old stock. The closest I've heard are the KT-77s that Dennis was running through this amp.

We have not directly compared the two different 6SN7s head to head. I'm hoping to be over at Dennis' when the A.A. member from Western NC comes to visit, I believe on 9/26. I will bring both tubes, along with a lot of other choices.....

Comzee 09-15-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 803661)
Comzee, the Psvane power tubes take a long time to open up. I've not tried the KKT88 but really enjoy the KT66z and CV-181's.

This is where me being a tube novice shows.
I've heard tubes can change character after burn in.

I'll have to throw the Psvane kt88 pair in the amp someday and burn them in for a few weeks. On that note, I assume this is safe because it says it in the AD Dennis wrote, but I leave my fire-bottle on 24/7 when not switching tubes.

I listened to the NOS Tung Sol for two hours last night, and the GL KT88 for about two hours.

Again, not burnt in, but the two tubes are radically different. TS has more raw resolution, rough treble, not much bass. Super tight and accurate bass tho.

GL are more liquid, bass completely filled out, but without the stranglehold on being tight and controlled. Treble, not having that raw transperency as the TS, but much easier to listen to, it's not rough.

If the Nos Tung Sol develop bass, and the treble calms down, it could be a gem. I'll see I guess after burn in.

EDIT:

It would be awesome if some experienced users filled this out more.
I made it public and editable. If it gets vandalized so be it.
I'm wondering if there's any tubes I can use, that I don't know about. Plus power tube + rectifier pairings interest me.

Bombadil 09-15-2016 10:18 AM

I sure don't leave mine on 24x7. I find that mine sounds great after 10-15 minutes of warmup. Don't want to burn up my power tubes as space heaters.

Comzee 09-15-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 803675)
I sure don't leave mine on 24x7. I find that mine sounds great after 10-15 minutes of warmup. Don't want to burn up my power tubes as space heaters.

Good to know!

Comzee 09-15-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Last edited by jdandy; 09-15-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: active link to non-sponsor seller, other forums or blogs against forum rules
Jdandy,
How should I link images? The picture function in this forum doesn't let you size pictures, so it looks GIANT in the post. This forum also doesn't have the "spoiler" function, so I can't hide an image.

Plus.
Quote:

active link to non-sponsor seller
Imgur doesn't sell anything...?

jdandy 09-15-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comzee (Post 803685)
Jdandy,
How should I link images? The picture function in this forum doesn't let you size pictures, so it looks GIANT in the post. This forum also doesn't have the "spoiler" function, so I can't hide an image.

Plus.
Imgur doesn't sell anything...?

Comzee.......Try using a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr. I use Flickr with good results. It allows photo resizing.

Imgur has a store. Look around and you will find it.

BearCityUSA 09-15-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Addict (Post 803662)

We have not directly compared the two different 6SN7s head to head. I'm hoping to be over at Dennis' when the A.A. member from Western NC comes to visit, I believe on 9/26. I will bring both tubes, along with a lot of other choices.....

Analog,

I hope to meet you then. Right now it looks like I will be there in the afternoon of the 26th. I am planning to hang around for a while and listen and talk. I will bring some vinyl (cost of admission) and a few tubes as well, though I get the feeling your tube collection is quite impressive and mine may be redundant. Anyway, it should be fun, especially since I should be driving away with a new PSE.:banana:

BearCityUSA 09-15-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombadil (Post 803675)

I asked Dennis about weather it was better to leave them on or turn off every evening and have the wear and tear of warm up. I have heard opposing arguments over the years. His response,"if you want your tubes to last longer, take them out of the socket and put them back in the box. They will last forever." He leaves his on 24-7.

FloridaBoy 09-15-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comzee (Post 803673)
This is where me being a tube novice shows.
I've heard tubes can change character after burn in.

I'll have to throw the Psvane kt88 pair in the amp someday and burn them in for a few weeks. On that note, I assume this is safe because it says it in the AD Dennis wrote, but I leave my fire-bottle on 24/7 when not switching tubes.

I listened to the NOS Tung Sol for two hours last night, and the GL KT88 for about two hours.

Again, not burnt in, but the two tubes are radically different. TS has more raw resolution, rough treble, not much bass. Super tight and accurate bass tho.

GL are more liquid, bass completely filled out, but without the stranglehold on being tight and controlled. Treble, not having that raw transperency as the TS, but much easier to listen to, it's not rough.

If the Nos Tung Sol develop bass, and the treble calms down, it could be a gem. I'll see I guess after burn in.

EDIT:

It would be awesome if some experienced users filled this out more.
I made it public and editable. If it gets vandalized so be it.
I'm wondering if there's any tubes I can use, that I don't know about. Plus power tube + rectifier pairings interest me.

You can use any rectifier with any tube in these amps except when using ST shaped 6V6G's use only a 5Y3. That's all there is to it.

Rectifier voltage drop: Lower voltage drop drives the tube harder. This may or may not sound better. Just trust your ears and enjoy the :music:.

Psvane power tubes: Just run them and turn the volume down. Try not to listen critically for 150 hours or so.

You have a good selection of power tubes. IMHO, don't go nuts and broke trying every possible combination of tubes.