AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Cohibaman 01-27-2016 01:49 PM

That keeps bringing me right back here to the last post.

pstrisik 01-27-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 756201)
Cade12,

I believe FloridaBoy said we should stick to the original 80 (5Y3) rectifier for that preamp. He definitely knows more about it than me, so I'm following his advice. I know of at least one member who is currently running it with a 274-B, but can't recall his Avatar name.

That would be me. I've been running a Sophia mesh plate 274B in the LP-2 for the past year.

From Dennis June 2014:

Quote:

Wanna try something radical ??? ....... If the 5Y3 in the LP-2 is the SovTek version I sent .... place that SovTek 5Y3 in the "Fire-Bottle" Inspire amplifier and take the 274B and place that in the LP-2 preamplifier. This is with the Pope 6V6 tubes in the amplifier. Radical!!!!! Take two tubes and call me in the morning LOL
You can ignore the part about tubes in the amp.. just want to relate that Dennis seems ok with the 274B in the pre, that's where I want to be, no 5Y3 for me! :smoking:

x3workshop 01-27-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 756204)
Here's the link:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/cary-...tml#post742920

I wonder if there's any need to drain the big Caps (not the small ones being replaced) before performing small Caps replacement surgery to avoid some high-tension shocks?

You must always unplug the amp and drain the caps before doing any work.

Musica Amantem 01-27-2016 03:45 PM

Cohiba,

Sorry Post # 1352

Twanny,

How do we go about draining those Caps? I know we need to ground its contents somehow, but the details I miss: put a piece of wire between the Caps' outlets and a sure ground? What would that sure ground be? The chassis?

pstrisik,

Thanks for the feedback. This gear seems bulletproof! I need to try that since currently I'm not having any use for my Sophia Electric 274-B. Could you describe the sound differences you detected with the 274-B in place of the 80 (5Y3) in the preamp? I wonder if this is possible even with the LP-27a?

pstrisik 01-27-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 756237)
pstrisik,

Thanks for the feedback. This gear seems bulletproof! I need to try that since currently I'm not having any use for my Sophia Electric 274-B. Could you describe the sound differences you detected with the 274-B in place of the 80 (5Y3) in the preamp? I wonder if this is possible even with the LP-27a?

It's been too long since I have run the 5Y3 in the LP-2 to remember. I can try it again. I may try a few different tubes there as I have changed DACs and speakers since implementing the 274B. I've focused more on the right tubes for the amp with the recent system changes.

But, since you have one, give it a try!

Cohibaman 01-27-2016 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 756191)
Amazing! An image is worth a thousand words, they rightly say. Thanks for that, Cohibaman. Actually that video can also help me to learn the soldering process. But, in FB amp's image, I notice very little room between the Caps and the connecting yellow wires ... Can I melt part of the yellow wiring insulation with the iron (to get some room for the soldering material) as I solder along? I would imagine the new Caps have longer leads coming on both sides? Sorry!

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...2986806525.jpg

The yellow insulation is simply slid over the leads of the capacitors. You should be able to pull the insulation back so it doesn't melt, then reuse it on the leads of the replacement caps. If it does melt, no problem; you can easily replace it with shrink tubing from eBay or Amazon.

Mike

Attachment 43841

Musica Amantem 01-27-2016 04:31 PM

pstrisik,

Thanks! So far as it is safe, I'll sure give it a try.

Cohibaman,

Got it. Thanks!

pstrisik 01-27-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 756250)
pstrisik,

Thanks! So far as it is safe, I'll sure give it a try.

I guess I should have a disclaimer! It works for me and Dennis seems to think it's safe - no blame on me if anything goes wrong though!

Musica Amantem 01-27-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 756254)
I guess I should have a disclaimer! It works for me and Dennis seems to think it's safe - no blame on me if anything goes wrong though!

Understood.

Musica Amantem 01-28-2016 02:16 PM

Has anyone tried these?

Siemens 6L6WGB (made by JAN-Philips) Audio Tubes

thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-Tube-Types/Siemens-6L6WGB-made-by-JAN-Philips

Thanks!