AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Dynaudio "Special Forty" (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39469)

Puma Cat 08-15-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 976205)
The Dynaudio stands (Stand 2) I had for my Audience 52SE were fillable. I am not sure if the Skyland stands are fillable.

Yep, the Skylan stands are fillable too, but if it were for Dyn S40s, I would recommend using the Dynaudio stands. They were designed for this class of speakers (Confidence C1, Contour S1.4s, Focus 140s/160s and Special 40s).

gochurchgo 09-20-2019 02:20 PM

Anyone put any stock in that review where cabinet resonance was detected (by stethoscope)? ABout remarks of congestion in male vocals?

I'm usually one to ignore stuff like that but for all the praise these get I can't past these remarks.

Puma Cat 09-20-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochurchgo (Post 980229)
Anyone put any stock in that review where cabinet resonance was detected (by stethoscope)? ABout remarks of congestion in male vocals?

I'm usually one to ignore stuff like that but for all the praise these get I can't past these remarks.

As a Dynaudio owner, I don't put any stock in it. As for congestion in male vocals, we don't know that Atkinson actually broke in the S40s with 450 hours of run-in time before reviewing them, and if I were to hazard a guess, he didn't. So any comments about their sonic performance without 450 hours is "anecdotal' in my personal view. My understanding is most reviewers of Dyns don't have the requisite number of hours on them before they do the review.

If I had the discretionary funds, I'd have a pair of these, no question. All of the owners I've read comments from absolutely love them.

gochurchgo 09-20-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 980236)
As a Dynaudio owner, I don't put any stock in it. As for congestion in male vocals, we don't know that Atkinson actually broke in the S40s with 450 hours of run-in time before reviewing them, and if I were to hazard a guess, he didn't. So any comments about their sonic performance without 450 hours is "anecdotal' in my personal view. My understanding is most reviewers of Dyns don't have the requisite number of hours on them before they do the review.

If I had the discretionary funds, I'd have a pair of these, no question. All of the owners I've read comments from absolutely love them.

These are tops on my list, their only competition is with a less conventional speaker (Spatial Turbo). The Dyns would suit my needs well. :music:

Puma Cat 09-20-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochurchgo (Post 980238)
These are tops on my list, their only competition is with a less conventional speaker (Spatial Turbo). The Dyns would suit my needs well. :music:

Your comment about the S40's meeting yours needs well is insightful. That tells me you really have clearly thought-through your requirements and are clear on what products would best fulfill those requirements.

I think of speakers a lot like I used to think about sport motorcycles: its a long-term relationship you're entering into, and you want to know that you can comfortably live and be fulfilled in that relationship come fair seas or foul.

So, while a Ducati 996 may be a "sexier" bike, I rode Honda CBRs because they never let me down. They were fast, comfortable, reliable and durable. And...they NEVER break.

Along those lines, my Dynaudio Contour S3.4s have never let me down in a decade of ownership. Morever, if I ever needed them repaired or serviced, I know that Dynuadio NA have me covered with spare parts and an excellent service and support infrastructure, both in the U.S. and Worldwide. For me, those things are as important as the product itself, because, as I've said, its a long-term relationship kinda thang. While I recently bought a pair of Harbeths, I still have the big Dyns in the stable.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

gochurchgo 09-20-2019 05:53 PM

Thanks. $3k is, for me, a monumental amount of money so I'm terrified of not finding a speaker I LOVE. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in getting a demo of them and the others I am interested in are sold direct. Its a huge gamble.

Puma Cat 09-20-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochurchgo (Post 980252)
Thanks. $3k is, for me, a monumental amount of money so I'm terrified of not finding a speaker I LOVE. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in getting a demo of them and the others I am interested in are sold direct. Its a huge gamble.

Yeah, I get that. FWIW, I bought my Contour S 3.4s unheard, but I had a pair of Dyns previously, so I knew what to expect, at some level.

I can tell you that getting Dyns is a safe bet: they are very, very neutral, but by that I do not mean in any way they are cold, cool, analytical, thin, or spare-sounding. They are just neutral, like a photograph that is perfectly neutral with respect to color or black and white accuracy; to the extent that they will reflect both the qualities of the source material and components used to drive them. They also are very easy to listen to and and never, ever fatiguing.

The one caveat that all prospective buyers must be aware of is they require at least 300 hours to run-in, and I've heard that the S40s could require as much as 450 hours. They can also be quite "uncomfortable-sounding" during the run-in period, so with Dyns, patience is absolutely key. Once they get there, though, they are glorious. Also, the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter is regarded by many as the finest soft-dome tweeter made by anyone, anywhere.

W9TR 09-20-2019 08:25 PM

This is very helpful. I am looking at a pair of S40’s for our loft in Wisconsin - it’s a small space, with a chalet style beamed roof. I think they would be a good choice for this space where a full size floorstander might struggle.

Puma Cat 09-20-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 980264)
This is very helpful. I am looking at a pair of S40’s for our loft in Wisconsin - it’s a small space, with a chalet style beamed roof. I think they would be a good choice for this space where a full size floorstander might struggle.

Yup! :thumbsup: