AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

x3workshop 10-24-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem (Post 809842)
I ordered my amp personally and requested the oversize, 20 watt transformer. Then he informed me my amp was also strapped as a Triode. It was built last year too.

My problem really is with the cost and time of the logistics involved, not so much the cost of the upgrade itself.

Likewise regarding dealing direct with Dennis about the build specifics.

Also, as I look through the notes I have, I believe if you run the KT88's with a 5AR4 you get closer to 12 wpc in this/my amp. Certainly driving them harder than I thought.

Shipping for me (East Coast) added about $70 RT, so I imagine it is a factor for some who live farther afield.

x3workshop 10-24-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 809847)
I wonder how complicated the modification is. Maybe possible to have him ship you parts and instructions? Maybe someone near you comfortable with electronics and wiring if you aren't.

Just a thought.....

From what I saw when I opened her up, it involves rewiring the PS in a considerable way. Not just a couple of parts and swapping a wire or two.

FloridaBoy 10-24-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 809848)

Also, as I look through the notes I have, I believe if you run the KT88's with a 5AR4 you get closer to 12 wpc in this/my amp. Certainly driving them harder than I thought.

Shipping for me (East Coast) added about $70 RT, so I imagine it is a factor for some who live farther afield.

Are you sure yours is triode? I ask because you were driving ribbon speakers. :scratch2:

x3workshop 10-24-2016 05:47 PM

Positive, but as I mentioned, it's only driving above 100hz so the strain is off of the amp for the power hungry spectrum.

o 10-24-2016 06:06 PM

MA,

FWIW and YMMV; I had a Parasound A23 for a couple of weeks paired with my ATC SCM 11v2 monitors and was underwhelmed.

Musica Amantem 10-24-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opnly bafld (Post 809857)
MA,

FWIW and YMMV; I had a Parasound A23 for a couple of weeks paired with my ATC SCM 11v2 monitors and was underwhelmed.

Evidently, your speakers are just 85 dB's sensitive. That's a tough job for any amp rated at about 100 watts RMS. Those babies may require much more juice. OTOH, I'm surprised because the A 23 has a 1,000 VA transformer! Plus, these people have been in the audio amplification market for decades.

My speakers are Tekton Lore 2.0, rated at 98 dB's @ 8 Ohms, but I suspect with the impedance curve these are more or less equivalent to 94-95 dBs. Still plenty more sensitive than the SCM 11 v2. The thing is, I listen nearfield in a small room, so I believe in my case it should be enough.

Anyway, how did you like the sound quality of the Halo A 23? Should I go back to the drawing board?

Musica Amantem 10-24-2016 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 809848)

Well, 12 Watts/ch seems to me too much power for a Triode-strapped Firebottle on KT-88's ... But, you may be right. I know my amp running those tubes feels at ease in my small room. The thing is (as in general with all SET's) it sounds wonderful but does not have the "slam" required in certain orchestral passages, especially in classical music.

FloridaBoy 10-25-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 809855)
Positive, but as I mentioned, it's only driving above 100hz so the strain is off of the amp for the power hungry spectrum.

Got it. :thumbsup:

x3workshop 10-25-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 809944)
Got it. :thumbsup:

These electrostatics aren't as difficult to drive as some. They're rated at 91db/1watt.

Everytime I ask Dennis about output expectations, he conveniently answers all my other questions, but neglects to address power output.:scratch2:

Rosco65 10-25-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x3workshop (Post 809977)
These electrostatics aren't as difficult to drive as some. They're rated at 91db/1watt.

Everytime I ask Dennis about output expectations, he conveniently answers all my other questions, but neglects to address power output.:scratch2:

I think our perception of output power is more important than the actual measured value. If one of Dennis' amps is clipping a significant amount of the time but its overload characteristics are graceful we preceive its power output as higher than it actually is.

I know that I have had very low (<2wpc) amps that have sounded much more powerful than they actually were.