AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Morrow cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39403)

timm 05-17-2017 06:46 PM

Morrow cables

Wondered if anyone had any experience with these speaker cables?

Yamaki 05-17-2017 09:21 PM

Yes. I was not impressed, even after following their "minimum burn in" process.

timm 05-17-2017 10:36 PM

So what did you try by them? What was the sonic signature? I see you ended up w wireworld. What wireworld?

rnrmf1971 05-17-2017 11:22 PM

I used Morrow quite a bit in past years and enjoyed their "4" through "6" ranges, when I used them. I used interconnects and speaker cables.
At their prices I thought the performance was quite fair. There were tradeoffs and things that they didn't do well in comparison to other cables, but they were musical. Against the old Wireworld "6" series at the Silver Eclipse level, I preferred the Morrow.

If you've shopped the Morrow website, you are probably aware of their 60 day return policy which would allow you to try any cable in your price range.

However, with Wireworld's introduction of the Series 7 cables a few years ago, I found preference with the Wireworld line.

I'd be pretty comfortable suggesting the Wireworld Silver Eclipse Series 7 as a great entry or ending point depending on your system. Becoming a subscriber would be worth your while if you decide to purchase Wireworld cables because the host of this site, Masterlu, is the best Wireworld dealer on the planet.

Masterlu 05-17-2017 11:31 PM

Christian... thank you kindly. :o

JMD 05-17-2017 11:35 PM

If your setup up is bright or forward they would work for you, otherwise I found them way to warm. The Wireworld Equinox beat them pretty handily. I am not a fan of silver over copper cables so I would stop at Equinox or Eclipse OCC copper. If you want to do an ID manufacturer try Audio Sensibility from Toronto. Combination of Exchange rate, free shipping and 30 day trial makes them worth a listen.

Yamaki 05-18-2017 10:35 AM

I used their SP5 & SP7 speaker cables in a bi-wire configuration. I also tried their MA5 interconnect cables in RCA and XLR configurations.

The sonic signature was bright, almost harsh, to my ears. I think that is due to the higher silver content over the OFC material.

When I swapped over to Wireworld (Thanks, Ivan!) I went with the Eclipse line in balanced XLR configuration. My speaker cables are not WW (yet).

timm 05-18-2017 12:38 PM

Haha. Well two completely contradictory appraisals. Too warm for one... too bright for another. Oh well I have a little time.

I have done some reading on Clear Day as well and they seem to be very well liked

rnrmf1971 05-18-2017 01:13 PM

Unless something has changed in their construction, they were neither bright or overly warm for me.
So add "balanced" sounding with a musical slant (as opposed to bright or shouty) for a third appraisal, ha!
The place they fell short was in separation of sounds, focus, and extension at both frequency extreme compared to better cables I've auditioned. But they painted a whole musical picture that was attractive and easy to listen to.
But I'd still consider and price the Wireworld 7 series. Both the Eclipse that Michael suggests and Silver Eclipse are priced reasonably for their performance and construction.
Don't be dissuaded by the idea of silver being used in the cables you audition.
I chose solid silver Wireworld Cables after an audition and they couldn't be further from being bright. They are lush. I've heard far more copper cables that are bright.

Yamaki 05-18-2017 02:22 PM

Bottom Line: We all hear different things and an objective review of what's best just won't happen.

Christian makes a good point about silver content. For me it's a No Go but for others, it works well. And I would agree with his assessment of the Morrow cables with respects to separation and clarity. I'd add the descriptive term "muddy" with respects to my experience using them.

I'm not a Wireworld "fanboy" per se but I can state that each time I've upgraded a cable to a WW offering I've heard an improvement in SQ.

Having said that, excuse me while I go peruse a FS item for some bi-wired Eclipse 7 speaker cables... :)