AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   New Ultimate U-1PX's in house (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23695)

MtnHam 10-28-2013 04:00 PM

New Ultimate U-1PX's in house

My new Sound Lab U-1PX electrostatic speakers have arrived, replacing my Majestic 945PX's.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-v.../U-1%253A3.jpg

Higgens 10-28-2013 05:38 PM

Holy frijoles. Those are impressive. Do they sound as big as they look?

JGM411 10-28-2013 05:58 PM

those are big... really big

MtnHam 10-28-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmahon (Post 545248)
Holy frijoles. Those are impressive. Do they sound as big as they look?

IMHO, there is nothing better. Others share my opinion. They turn my living room into a private box at the concert hall/Opera House.

Bodhisattva 10-28-2013 08:11 PM

They are immense! Congrats Mtn. You have some very nice amps and a serious, well chosen vinyl rig. The SME table & ARC Ref2SE phono stage are both good choices imho. Great job with your system mate :thumbsup:

Just a few questions; It looks like you're using Argento Flow pc's to your ESL's. What cables are you using elsewhere? Are you using a power conditioner/regenerator? Also have you installed dedicated 20a circuits, or are you running direct to standard 15a/110v wpo's? I connect my system direct to standard Aussie 10a/240v power, however I upgraded the main twin wpo to an Oyaide R1/WPC-Z (a big upgrade from the $5 wpo it replaced!). In my situation, I get comparatively stable 240v power measured, so I don't feel the need to retrofit a dedicated 20a circuit. However I am a believer in a power conditioner which can regulate the output waveform :yes:

mpedris 04-27-2017 04:16 AM

How much better are these than the 945PX they replaced?

Thanks in advance.

MtnHam 04-27-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodhisattva (Post 545278)
They are immense! Congrats Mtn. You have some very nice amps and a serious, well chosen vinyl rig. The SME table & ARC Ref2SE phono stage are both good choices imho. Great job with your system mate :thumbsup:

Just a few questions; It looks like you're using Argento Flow pc's to your ESL's. What cables are you using elsewhere? Are you using a power conditioner/regenerator? Also have you installed dedicated 20a circuits, or are you running direct to standard 15a/110v wpo's? I connect my system direct to standard Aussie 10a/240v power, however I upgraded the main twin wpo to an Oyaide R1/WPC-Z (a big upgrade from the $5 wpo it replaced!). In my situation, I get comparatively stable 240v power measured, so I don't feel the need to retrofit a dedicated 20a circuit. However I am a believer in a power conditioner which can regulate the output waveform :yes:

I must apologize for not having seen your post until now. The PC's powering the SL backplates are not Argento Flow, but a custom cable by Al Sekela designed to attenuate any RF picked up by the high voltage stators in the SL panels. The rest of my PC loom is all Shunyata, and I employ a Triton V3 and 3 Typhons. No regulation, as my power is very stable. There are 3 dedicated 15 amp circuits; the speaker panels are powered by the separate house circuit.

The Ayre MXR's have been replaced by a pair of Pass 260.8 monos.

MtnHam 04-27-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpedris (Post 844123)
How much better are these than the 945PX they replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Because of the extremely rigid frames the U-PX panels have a more solid base to project from, and thus slightly better bass and imaging. Otherwise they are very close to the 945PX's.

mpedris 04-28-2017 07:14 PM

New Ultimate U-1PX's in house

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtnHam (Post 844151)
Because of the extremely rigid frames the U-PX panels have a more solid base to project from, and thus slightly better bass and imaging. Otherwise they are very close to the 945PX's.

Thanks!

I've heard that SoundLab, in general, have had quality control issues. In your experience, is this, in fact, the case? If it is, what problems have they had?