AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Turntables & Tonearms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Experience with slate as isolation platform? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41405)

bruno2009 12-05-2017 03:30 AM

Experience with slate as isolation platform?

I‘ve been told many times that a platform made of slate is as good as it gets when it comes to setting up your turntable. Anyone have any experience? How does it compare to professional platforms as are built by HRS for example? How are your general thoughts on improvement if TT stands in a good Rack already?

Jerome W 12-05-2017 03:40 AM

Hello,
I have not tried HRS, SRA, Symposium or a slate platform so I cannot answer.
I would say that slate is great for protection against rain and snow. ;)
Yes it may have very good vibration isolation properties too. A german speakers company uses slate for their cabinets and the speakers sound absolutely awesome in the bass.
But imho a turntable should be isolated from incoming vibrations so nothing really can beat a suspended platform for this. There are many designs. I tried the Gingko on rubber balls. But I much prefer the isolation provided by the Pro Audio Bono which is suspended by nylon threads on pulleys.
There is the absolute isolation platform made by a company which initially makes devices for lab testings. A member here has one. It is probably the best but it costs a fortune. I cannot remember the name.
And some others make platforms on air cushions which are also pretty expensive.

Jerome W 12-05-2017 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found it !
Minus K Technology.
And the member using one is Desmond : DesW.
Here it is beneath his Feickert tt :
Attachment 52936

bruno2009 12-05-2017 04:01 AM

Thanx for your posts - I use a big Brinkmann TT (who himself actually recommends HRS) and I will start some experimenting with isolation... very curious on the effects the different platforms will have... not sure if a professional isolation platform is really worth the upprice to a platform made of slate...

Jerome W 12-05-2017 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruno2009 (Post 884054)
Thanx for your posts - I use a big Brinkmann TT (who himself actually recommends HRS) and I will start some experimenting with isolation... very curious on the effects the different platforms will have... not sure if a professional isolation platform is really worth the upprice to a platform made of slate...

Please show us your slate platform when you'll get it and report the results. I am very curious about it.
Thanks !

GaryProtein 12-05-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 884052)
I found it !
Minus K Technology.
And the member using one is Desmond : DesW.
Here it is beneath his Feickert tt :
Attachment 52936

HERZAN is an active isolation table manufacturer people use for turntables.

The Lost Bears 12-05-2017 09:42 AM

I have not tried slate. I use a 3" thick maple butcher block sitting on spikes on top of a sand filled VPI turntable stand. I am moving and recently moved my turntable to the top shelf of my Zoethecus rack. I can't tell you how much I miss the sand filled VPI stand. It is solid as a rock. At first I had debate whether to take it with me half way across the country. But now after not having it, it is coming with me for sure.

I looked at HRS racks but they are a lot of money.

John49 12-05-2017 12:28 PM

I have no experience of using slate, but I have come across slate plinths for Garrard idler wheel turntables like the 301 and 401.

bruno2009 12-06-2017 12:41 PM

I‘m wondering how big the difference between a slate platform and an HRS platform can be - considering the HRS costs minimal 10 times as much... besides both solutions look great. Slate is supposed to have fantastic qualities for setting up your TT - because of its structural characteristics...

gadawg 12-06-2017 02:37 PM

I had tried Slate and a big Butchers block but when I borrowed an HRS S1 it wasn't even close. Full disclosure I am on the second floor and have a very difficult environment for a TT but not only did the S1 get rid of my feedback issues from mechanical vibration it really allowed me to hear a finer level of detail than I ever had. Now I can listen to my vinyl at the same sound levels as digital without worrying about feedback and its so much sweeter!