AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aerial Acoustics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Aerial Acoustics Model 8 Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24451)

Yamaki 12-18-2013 01:03 AM

Aerial Acoustics Model 8 Speakers

I am very pleased to share with you all that I recently acquired a new (to me) pair of Aerial Acoustic Model 8 speakers with sequential serial numbers.

With Ivan's help and direction I have moved forward with some cable upgrades as well (Thank You, Ivan!) and hope to do more soon.

The speakers are beautiful in more ways than one. The cabinets are a joy to behold with bookmatched veneers making the speakers look as if they were carved out of single block of gorgeous rosenut.

Weighing in at a hefty 120 pounds each without the sand filled bases, their presence in the room is noticeable but not outlandishly so, providing a warm wood ambiance that complements their surroundings.

The hidden beauty of this pair lies behind those seemingly impenetrable cabinets, demonstrated by Michael Kelly's wizardy of speaker design and construction.

Starting at the bottom, the speakers feature a 10"-diameter woofer incorporating a 2" voice-coil and a large magnet in a 61-liter rear-ported box tuned to 19Hz. The large midrange driver is a 7.1" multi-fiber paper cone unit. The tweeters, a custom built 1" titanium dome design, were sourced from MB Quart company.

Regardless of specifications and constant comparisons of those endless sheets filled with numbers, the real proof of a speaker's quality is determined by listening to them. Regardless of the music's demands or the power available, the detail, depth and spatial imaging of these speakers is beyond reproach.

I am listening to some tracks by Emmylou Harris as I type this. The 8's reproduce the sound of Emmylou's voice as if she were standing right in front of me with the band just a few steps behind and to both sides of her. The most amazing aspect of these speakers is the high levels of transparency and clarity they exhibit, some of the best I have ever heard. They render every detail of the music in a very natural and pleasing manner.

They may be used, however, they have found another owner who will cherish them for a long time to come.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps8dab53d4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...pse35612a0.jpg

jdandy 12-18-2013 01:06 AM

Michael.......Congratulations. The Aerial 8's sound like they have already won your heart and mind. I'm happy for you.

Yamaki 12-18-2013 01:08 AM

Dan... I will admit it didn't take long. :D

Masterlu 12-18-2013 01:15 AM

Michael... I'm very glad you are happy with your new Aerial Model 8's; they look great in your home too!

Yamaki 12-18-2013 01:20 AM

Ivan... Thank you!

I'm right in the middle of Beethoven's "String Quartet No. 16 in F Major" performed by the Belcea Quartet and I know it sounds trite but I am hearing things in the music that were only hinted at by my previous pair of speakers.

-E- 12-18-2013 01:21 AM

Nice.

pingpong 12-18-2013 03:05 AM

Congrats! How does this compares to the 7T?

cheers

Yamaki 12-18-2013 01:04 PM

Not having heard the 7T's in my own system a direct comparison cannot be made by me, pingpong.

However, I would say that they both have a wonderful sound with a wide and deep spatial imaging capability that artfully brings the music alive.

I am very happy to have the 8's in my home and I would feel the same about the 7T's. It's very difficult to pick between them!

trek737 12-19-2013 09:03 AM

Michael,

From one Aerial fan to another, Congrats!:thumbsup: I know how excited I was when I got my first pair of Aerial 7B speakers.

Many enjoyable hours of listening pleasure are in store for you.:banana:

Merry Christmas!

Yamaki 12-19-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks, Jim!

I wonder how they would sound powered by a McIntosh 2-channel amp... :)

trek737 12-19-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 561839)
Thanks, Jim!

If I had to guess... Incredible! :thumbsup:

jdandy 12-19-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 561839)

Michael.......There's one sure way to find out. :whistle:

Yamaki 12-19-2013 11:06 PM

Jim and Dan... You two are very accomplished enablers, you know that? ;)

pingpong 12-20-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 561534)
Not having heard the 7T's in my own system a direct comparison cannot be made by me, pingpong.

However, I would say that they both have a wonderful sound with a wide and deep spatial imaging capability that artfully brings the music alive.

I am very happy to have the 8's in my home and I would feel the same about the 7T's. It's very difficult to pick between them!

thank you for the feedback! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers

Yamaki 12-30-2013 10:10 PM

Just wanted to say HOW MUCH I AM ENJOYING my Aerial Acoustic Model 8's! :thumbsup:

virii01 12-30-2013 11:27 PM

Congratulations, they look just like mine (which I love).

Two questions, are they the 8Bs and have you played with the woofer facing out versus in?

Yamaki 12-31-2013 01:54 PM

They were originally built as 8's but have the 8B crossover in them.

I have played with them woofers pointed out and in. I prefer them facing in as there is not a lot of space between the woofers and the walls on either side of the room. Get a bit boomy due to reflection. I may end up trying some temporary wall treatment there and face them out again for a test.

Masterlu 12-31-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 565066)
Just wanted to say HOW MUCH I AM ENJOYING my Aerial Acoustic Model 8's! :thumbsup:

Awesome... glad I helped a tiny bit steering you to Aerial. :ok:

Yamaki 12-31-2013 06:27 PM

You did more than a little, Ivan.

Having not heard of Aerial Acoustics before joining up here, then seeing those 7T beauties at your place, got me thinking. Slightly dangerous in my case since I only have one brain cell left and it's working overtime as it is.

Your influence led to an audition and a search for some speakers made by Mr. Kelly and here I am today...and it is all because of you, sir. :thankyouspin:

Pider 01-01-2014 11:36 AM

Michael.... I completely missed this thread! Congratulations!! What a beautiful pair you snagged. I bet they sound amazing. I heard a pair locally not long ago and was very impressed. You are right when you say the cabinetry is superbly done.

Happy New Year, indeed.

Yamaki 01-01-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 565517)
Michael.... I completely missed this thread! Congratulations!! What a beautiful pair you snagged. I bet they sound amazing. I heard a pair locally not long ago and was very impressed. You are right when you say the cabinetry is superbly done.

Happy New Year, indeed.

I hid it from you, John. ;)

Where did find another pair?

Pider 01-01-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 565538)
I hid it from you, John. ;) Where did find another pair?

A friend who lives outside of Eugene. Not sure who carries them in PDX.

Yamaki 01-01-2014 04:59 PM

ahhh...

According to Mr. Kelly, there is only one dealer in Oregon for new product and that's Fred's Sound of Music on Hawthorne in Portland.

Used ones show up from time to time at different dealers I suppose. I found mine at Echo Audio in the Pearl District.

And they sound lovely. :)

Pider 01-01-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 565624)
ahhh... According to Mr. Kelly, there is only one dealer in Oregon for new product and that's Fred's Sound of Music on Hawthorne in Portland. Used ones show up from time to time at different dealers I suppose. I found mine at Echo Audio in the Pearl District. And they sound lovely. :)

We're they in the Bryston room being driven by a pair of 28's? If so, I've actually heard them there, as well. I just didn't know what they were.

My friend, Rick, lives high on a hill on 110 acres of Christmas trees. He's a rough and ready man who works his trees, does oil on canvas, is a amazing cook, travels to Scotland just to continue his search for the perfect scotch, and plays his 2-channel very loud.

Yamaki 01-01-2014 05:42 PM

Yes, when I listened to the 7T's at Fred's that was exactly how they were set up. Lovely pairing to be sure!

Rick sounds like my kind of fellow! We should raid his scotch hoard some time. ;)

tweet 01-03-2014 10:55 PM

Michael,

Wow, congratulations! I missed this breaking news during the Christmas rush. The new Aerial 8's look fantastic. I'm glad you are ENJOYING them. :)

Happy listening! :thumbsup:

Yamaki 01-03-2014 11:29 PM

Thank you, Terry. I am very happy with the purchase.

Yamaki 01-11-2014 01:15 PM

All I can say is...

OMG!!!

I have been fiddling with speaker positioning and spiking this morning and achieved some stellar changes as a result.

Regardless of what and who I am listening to, from Abba's "Dancing Queen", Luciano Pavarotti belting out "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot, current pop from Maroon 5, the unique sound of my country & western girlfriend Emmylou Harris or even the more esoteric tracks done by Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe on their Labor of Love album, I am just blown away by the detail I am hearing.

The meters on my amps are dancing as I type this and I can't be happier with my selection.

Soon it will be time to turn off the music and head into downtown Portland to meet up with Pider at the shop where I purchased the Aerials to have some audio fun, watch him spend some money (I probably will too!) and get to know one another.

These speakers are awesome!

Pider 01-11-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamaki (Post 569254)
All I can say is... OMG!!! ... The meters on my amps are dancing as I type this and I can't be happier with my selection.

Soon it will be time to turn off the music and head into downtown Portland to meet up with Pider at the shop where I purchased the Aerials to have some audio fun, watch him spend some money (I probably will too!) and get to know one another. These speakers are awesome!

See you soon!

doublezero 10-17-2017 06:36 PM

hello ,

Is there an external difference between the aerial 8 and the aerial 8 B ?

if i want to buy a 8 b loudspeaker , and not a 8 aerail , what i have to look for ?

Thanks for answer .

Masterlu 10-18-2017 08:23 PM

doublezero... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Yamaki 10-19-2017 01:54 PM

There is no outward difference between the 2 models, doublezero.

SCAudiophile 10-19-2017 09:44 PM

Congratulations Yamaki!