AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Accuphase (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Speakers suggestions for E650 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42349)

ctzzzz 03-03-2018 07:42 AM

Speakers suggestions for E650

Hello guys

I decided to get rid of my Dynaudio Sapphire speakers. They're highly regarded but with my owned integrated amplifiers (E407, then E450, now E650) I never had the chance to make them play properly. There's a lack of mid bass that I suppose is related to the power of the amp/current, or so. Because when I used a friend's power amplifier (P650+C2420) they were definitely more low end loaded and they sounded more round, there were simply another story.
Nevermind, I prefer to continue with E650 and my intention is to try to combine my beloved E650 to another speakers.
My shortlist is down to these three models:
-Wilson Audio Sabrina (I auditioned a pair of Sophia 3 and was deeply impressed by scene/image and by the solid, consistent low end, less impressed by the speed, if I try to find a con argument) Also there are a lot of Wilson/Accu dealers that swear about this E650-Sabrina synergy.
-Marten Django XL (to be honest, I never heard them, just trust an opinion of a friend that heard them once).
-Triangle Magellan Quator (even Triangle Signature Alpha might also be an option). I owned a pair of Triangle Delta, was very happy with their speed, but concerned a bit that Triangle make speakers that are a bit too open and not very linear. Also a more than decent, but not very solid low end.

If you have some experience with any of these models, please advise.
I mainly listen to jazz fusion, industrial rock but also I am more and more keen to explore into classic music, probably this will be the focus in the near future.

Any help kindly appreciated.

Formerly YB-2 03-03-2018 09:19 AM

If you are open to other speakers you might want to check out the Canton Reference and Focal Sopra.

Masterlu 03-03-2018 09:43 AM

ctzzzz... Welcome to AA! :wave:

FDPDK 03-03-2018 11:12 AM

ctzzzz......Welcome to AA :-)

restock 03-03-2018 11:59 AM

I think the Sabrina and Marten both should be a decent match with the E650 although I also have not heard that combination.

For something entirely different and more sensitive you could check out DeVore - I am running DeVore O/96 with my Accuphase E600 (and DC37 + C37). It’s a wonderful combination that works great in particular for Jazz and Rock.

For classical I also like the Graham LS5/9. Although the do not have the bass extension of larger floorstanders the Grahams let you listen very deep into the recording, follow each instrument, while keeping a perfect tonal balance and proportions.

ctzzzz 03-03-2018 01:16 PM

Thank you for replies, people.
I decided to stick to just Wilson/Marten/Triangle as they are available in my area and I can try in my setup and in my room. There are of course a lot more interesting brands, but I only want to try something in my room.

FDPDK 03-03-2018 03:31 PM

From what i have heard , unfortunately not with Accuphase , but the Sabrina has a really great soundstage , and the most impressive 3D i have ever heard. But haven't heard a load of different brands.

I myself are aiming into the Sabrina og even the Sasha 2 used some years ahead from now...to pair with my Accuphase E-470 , and maybe get the opportunity to have an ARC Ref.6 and use my Accuphase as the Power Amp.

ctzzzz 04-11-2018 12:33 PM

Meanwhile, I settled not for Sabrina but for Wilson Audio Sophia (3), as my 650 have no problem driving them, they're just great together.
Case Closed :P

FDPDK 04-11-2018 01:06 PM

I am sure you will be very happy with that setup , did you hear both Sabrina and Sophia 3 ?
and what do you think the differences are ?

ctzzzz 04-11-2018 01:17 PM

I tested Sophia and Sabrina with an E470 at my dealer, then home I only tried the Sophias with the 650. Sophia is capable more effortlessly for deeper, rounder low end, IMHO. Also, a more immersive stage for Sophia, definitely. All in all, Sophia are ceasing production, so I got a good demo price, so was a no brainer for me to chose the bigger model. Also, they say that Sophia has lesser minimum needed amplification power (25W vs 50W for Sabrina) and this was also a theoretical plus for me, having the 30W Class A E650 (60W in 4Ohms).