AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does your McIntosh benefit from fancy power cables? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40852)

Mouse 10-20-2017 12:01 AM

Does your McIntosh benefit from fancy power cables?

Does your McIntosh benefit from fancy power cables?
I had a demo today and cables came up. The guy told me that power cables mater more than speaker cables (I'm assuming that if the speaker wire is already decent).

AVS forum where I also spend time is very anti high end cables, so I'm conflicted between my 2 favorite audio forums (AA seems to love them). I had to hear this for myself, I ask if there is any scientific proof like A/B or double blind testing done? He said lets try it out right now! He takes a standard power cord out of his office and swaps the Nordost for the standard power cord. I'm not going to say this was a night and day difference, and a placebo effect could certainly have happened. But what I heard was a subtle noticeable positive change. All the cables where Nordost, he only pulled the power cable from one component on a boulder system.

Does Mc equipment typically benefit from upgrading power cables? I'm considering getting a couple for my Pre/pro.

damacman 10-20-2017 01:12 AM

It would actually be quite easy to build a switching box that could swap power cords between power cord A and power cord B in real time. Even still it's quite difficult to remember what you heard three seconds ago vs three minutes ago ...

Mouse 10-20-2017 01:21 AM

He had it in less than a minute between swaps and powering the pre back on. How would I build a box for quick a/b testing? That's a good idea.

tdelahanty 10-20-2017 02:50 AM

I faced the same situation. I spent a lifetime in high-tech electronics and was very skeptical. My dealer was very savvy about this, he did not try to convince me, just sent me home with a few Nordost Diamondback P/C's. They remained in my system. You'll have to decide if the improvement is worth the cost. :music:

vintage_tube 10-20-2017 06:53 AM

I'm a strong believer after buying an unseen/unheard Shunyata King Cobra (V1) many years ago for a Esoteric DV50S. You are absolutely preaching my preferences in the cable hierarchy -- power, speaker and then interconnects.

My signature with Nordost Odin says I'm a disciple & it has been an interesting journey over the years since that first Shunyata.

Best Sir,

Bob

Richard D. George 10-20-2017 09:18 AM

Short answer is “Yes”. I am in the process of switching out two components from Classe Audio to Mac and will be using the same Shunyata power conditioner and Shunyata power cords.

Go to the Shunyata forum and find the thread about whether a Hydra conditioner will improve a system and then read all of the detailed posts by Grant. They cover more than just conditioners.

You will not get this level of professional detailed information at the other forum.

eljr 10-20-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 873449)

Does Mc equipment typically benefit from upgrading power cables? I'm considering getting a couple for my Pre/pro.

1 I have never seen science to support this.

2 I am keenly aware of human bias which makes clear we hear and see what we want or what we assume. We then construct a logical case to support what we believe. We don't truly look objectively at about anything in our life.

3 Then there is what I consider common sense.

A If I am paying more than $6k for each monoblock and the manufacturer is not maximizing his product by giving me inferior cords, I need look to a different manufacture, don't you think?

B We have no control over the power from the power plant until our house. At that point a 3 foot wire will transform it? Hello. (McIntosh suggests we plug amps directly into wall, not after conditioners)

-----------------

and then you have the old, does it sound better or different? Tube amps introduce distortion that is loved by many.... yet, it's distortion that is making the music "warm." so is it "better?"
See?

Masterlu 10-20-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 873520)
Short answer is “Yes”. I am in the process of switching out two components from Classe Audio to Mac and will be using the same Shunyata power conditioner and Shunyata power cords.

Go to the Shunyata forum and find the thread about whether a Hydra conditioner will improve a system and then read all of the detailed posts by Grant. They cover more than just conditioners.

You will not get this level of professional detailed information at the other forum.

Amen :o

Richard D. George 10-20-2017 10:40 AM

Eljr

Read the posts I cited and watch the video. There are measurements.

Major hospitals are now using Shunyata power products for their most sensitive medical measurement devices. Music recording studios are doing the same.

Obviously none of them are as smart as you.

eljr 10-20-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 873547)
Eljr

Read the posts I cited and watch the video. There are measurements.

Major hospitals are now using Shunyata power products for their most sensitive medical measurement devices. Music recording studios are doing the same.

You offered no links and provided no quotes or graphs. I'll be glad to review them if you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 873547)
Obviously none of them are as smart as you.

no need for this