AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   New HW-40 Turntable (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44131)

mulveling 10-22-2018 11:32 AM

That's the nicest looking VPI I've ever seen, and probably the first I'd consider owning since the Aries 3 / HR-X days. Quite beautiful. There's pics of another one with Rosewood sides, and without the lame "Anniversary" font, that looks even better. That said, the VPI lineup has been in flux and (to me) seems confusing over the last several years.

Maks 10-22-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 936716)
That's the nicest looking VPI I've ever seen, and probably the first I'd consider owning since the Aries 3 / HR-X days. Quite beautiful. There's pics of another one with Rosewood sides, and without the lame "Anniversary" font, that looks even better. That said, the VPI lineup has been in flux and (to me) seems confusing over the last several years.

I was hopeful it'd make it into the lineup as a non-LE product, but the Fremer article states VPI bought 400 motors to make 400 tables. I have a Classic 2 in the piano black 3 plinth and it's a great match for my Mac gear. Not that I don't like the looks of the HW-40, but a direct drive in a piano black plinth would be a great combo for me. Considering the Fatboy it already a $4,000 arm, I think 15k is pretty reasonable. I suspect this will sell out quickly.

doggiehowser 10-22-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 936689)
Yes, by over $20k

That’s what I thought. Normally the Limited Edition stuff tend to be pricier... so kudos they didn’t do that.

Is there a reason why this is cheaper? Were some compromises made to meet this price point vs the original direct drive?

Masterlu 10-22-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 936754)
That’s what I thought. Normally the Limited Edition stuff tend to be pricier... so kudos they didn’t do that.

Is there a reason why this is cheaper? Were some compromises made to meet this price point vs the original direct drive?

Yes, the Primary reason is they committed to and purchased 400 motors up front. This is the single most expensive component in these.

I even broke down and ordered one for myself. :yes:

doggiehowser 10-24-2018 06:26 AM

Compared to the other DD I know of - the Grand Prix Monaco [emoji51] this is a bargain!! Even compared to the last Direct Drive Classic

Formerly YB-2 10-24-2018 10:32 AM

That's a great looking TT. Much prefer DD, but............... $15K is a stretch.

scirica 10-24-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 936716)

The pic you saw was exactly how the HW40 looked at the launch. It will have the "wood" side panels. The "lame anniversary font" was a mockup. Mat has been getting feedback on what badging (if any) should be on the top of the table. I personally would prefer limited edition badging with X of 400 on the back of the table and leave the top as clean as possible.

I'm very interested in this table as well. And I currently own the Aries 3D which looks like a smaller version of the HRX. I think it is one of their best looking tables (but I'm biased).

gadawg 10-24-2018 07:38 PM

While this looks like an excellent table I’ll be sticking with my Avenger w. Reference arm for now. I listened to the AMG and I liked the Avenger better.

George

Jdsmoke 10-24-2018 08:29 PM

I would love to compare this vs the Brinkmann Bardo. I keep hearing wonderful things about direct drive.

scirica 10-25-2018 12:57 AM

Hoping we get a chance to hear the HW40 in DFW soon.