AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Grounding, this ain’t no joke... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45197)

For The Love of Music 02-23-2019 02:08 AM

Grounding, this ain’t no joke...

2 Attachment(s)
Added copper grounding rods today to the sub panel housing the dedicated circuits. Connectors were deoxited, and sealed.

Prior grounding to the sub panel was from the main panel.

Immediate result, jaw dropping and all for $93.00 in parts. Major performance in high end Audio for $93.00, I’m blown away.

I have reached Audio Bliss, Audio Nirvana with a grin ear to ear.

Anyway, hope this helps awaken those that have not taken this step and easily can.

Enjoy Your Sound 🤺

Attachment 58322
Attachment 58323

Antonmb 02-23-2019 02:23 AM

Pretty cool Ed.

Macuser 02-23-2019 04:25 AM

I did the same thing for my sub panel years ago when I had a hum that I could not get rid of. I agree this simple step does make a nice difference. Thankfully I have clay sub soil with no stones in the way. My copper rod drove in easily with no bending.

SCAudiophile 02-23-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 954510)
Added copper grounding rods today to the sub panel housing the dedicated circuits. Connectors were deoxited, and sealed.

Prior grounding to the sub panel was from the main panel.

Immediate result, jaw dropping and all for $93.00 in parts. Major performance in high end Audio for $93.00, I’m blown away.

I have reached Audio Bliss, Audio Nirvana with a grin ear to ear.

Anyway, hope this helps awaken those that have not taken this step and easily can.

Enjoy Your Sound 🤺

Attachment 58322
Attachment 58323

I know the feeling,....last house put in a long, over-sized single ground rod and it made a hell of a difference. For this house I went with dual rods, again over-sized and separated by 8-9' and solid copper ground leads to the main house panel (whichbenefitedd the sub-panel). Instant 'wow' difference,...actually was shocked by the level of improvement. The old ground rod on the house was of average quality, shorter than expected and overall just a joke. It's amazing how even the best builders and electricians will take shortcuts out of ignorance.

Big difference, little money and some time. Immediate, lasting impact, affects everything. Glad to hear it all worked out well for you!

cleeds 02-23-2019 11:05 AM

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's likely that the installation of these additional ground rods is not safe and is in violation of NEC and possibly your local code.

Per NEC, all grounds and neutrals must be bonded together at the main panel and only at the main panel. That includes the grounding rods. The potential safety hazard issues apply even if you're not in the US and not subject to the code.

If your new grounding rods are separated by a substantial distance from the original rods, you've created an additional hazard. I encourage you to have an expert electrician assess your installation.

W9TR 02-23-2019 11:43 AM

To which section of the NFPA 70 are you referring?

SCAudiophile 02-23-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 954574)
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's likely that the installation of these additional ground rods is not safe and is in violation of NEC and possibly your local code.

Per NEC, all grounds and neutrals must be bonded together at the main panel and only at the main panel. That includes the grounding rods. The potential safety hazard issues apply even if you're not in the US and not subject to the code.

If your new grounding rods are separated by a substantial distance from the original rods, you've created an additional hazard. I encourage you to have an expert electrician assess your installation.

Mine are in series and bonded to the main house panel. They replaced the inferior prior single rod. A master electrician with over 30 years experiemce did the work.

Kingrex 02-23-2019 01:36 PM

I am a friend of Eds and I installed his grounding per NEC 250.32. See Exhibit 250.19 in your NEC 2014 Handbook to see an image of my installation.

I always keep audio ground rods more than 10 feet away from other grounds to reduce the chance for ground loops through earth. See NEC 250.53. Grounding electrodes are required to have minimum spacing. They are not suppose to be near each other.

For The Love of Music 02-23-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 954574)

Not afraid of using an umbrella [emoji851]

A close friend of mine is a Master Electrician for 30 years and has assured me the installation process conducted is to code.

bart 02-23-2019 06:59 PM

I think grounding is standard and mandatory here in my country, but I'm not tech-savvy.