AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   8 Ohms or 4 Ohms (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42447)

stereo_5 03-11-2018 08:57 PM

8 Ohms or 4 Ohms

I have a c2500 and a MC152 driving a pair of Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers. I am running it off the 8 ohm terminal, but I read a report where the speaker dips to 3.4 ohms at some point. I am toying with trying the 4 ohm terminals but it is a big ordeal to get behind the audio rack, especially if it is all for nothing.

Assuming I go with the 4 ohm terminals, what should I be listening for to see if it is better and what do you think? Should I just keep it as is?

Sea music 03-11-2018 10:27 PM

8 to 4ohm

I think you will definitely hear a big enough difference to prefer one over the
other. In my case, most prefer the 4ohm taps with my Wilson Sabrina. I however
much prefer the 8ohm tap. With 300 watt monoblocks I don’t worry about running out of juice. I’m sure you’re Mc152 can also drive your speakers with
either tap you choose. By all means experiment you my like the 4ohm more.

crwilli 03-11-2018 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not an expert and may get this wrong but here goes...

Your speakers were tested in Stereophile and while the impedance drops to slightly below 4 ohms, it seems to spend most of its time with wild swings above 4. It especially rises to high levels in the midrange.

I think on 4 ohm taps, you will here less energy but perhaps a sweeter sound in the upper ranges. Also, perhaps less bass.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...6&d=1520822172

Attachment 54416

FreddieFerric 03-12-2018 08:38 AM

The impedance of most speakers (if not all) fluctuates. That's likely why you see the word "nominal" after the rated speaker impedance.

Spend some time listening to your speakers on both taps and decide which one sounds best to you. The autoformers will make sure you get your rated output no matter the speakers impedance.

62caddy 03-12-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereo_5 (Post 905257)
I have a c2500 and a MC152 driving a pair of Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers. I am running it off the 8 ohm terminal, but I read a report where the speaker dips to 3.4 ohms at some point. I am toying with trying the 4 ohm terminals but it is a big ordeal to get behind the audio rack, especially if it is all for nothing.

Assuming I go with the 4 ohm terminals, what should I be listening for to see if it is better and what do you think? Should I just keep it as is?

The operative principle is distortion free power. Using the 8 ohm taps will not harm the amplifier but it may run warmer depending on how much output it is trying to produce. Although McIntosh doesn't explicitly talk about it, an Autoformer model will generate more output (when so driven) when using the higher taps when the impedance seen dips below that value, as opposed to the maximum available when using the lower taps.

Keep in mind the thermal protection and Power Guard circuitry will keep the unit (and speakers) protected so it's virtually impossible to harm the amplifier regardless of what you do.

Also keep in mind most amplifiers tend generate the greatest amount of heat at around a steady 1/3 rated output because output at this level is most taxing to power supplies - even when the closest load matching taps are selected.

The bottom line is the lowest taps will provide for the coolest possible operation under all conditions - keeping in mind the maximum available power will be reduced compared to that otherwise available when the alternative (higher) taps are used.

gadawg 03-12-2018 10:54 AM

I used to have a McIntosh amp connected to Golden Ear Triton 2's and much preferred the 8ohm tap. YMMV

George

Timobi 03-12-2018 12:34 PM

I just posted this on my Martin Logan CLX thread :)

Little update. Made some cosmetic changes to the room that improved the sound.

Next few days going to experiment a bit with using both the 4ohm & 8ohm taps. With my previous Martin Logan 13's I preferred the 8ohm using the McIntosh MC452. Not that the 4ohm sounded bad; I just felt there was a little more air and openness to the sound with the 8.

From the very beginning of these CLX I've used the 4ohm exclusively so far paired with the MC601. Just figured it would be better for the hungrier CLX. Sounds amazing! But still worth a try to experiment.

I did this a little last night but we then we resumed our Netflix Narcos addiction

Thoughts?

Charles 03-12-2018 12:57 PM

The nominal impedance of the Triton Reference is 8 ohm. You should run off the 8 ohm tap. There is little question about this.

miketuason 03-12-2018 01:09 PM

Speaking of nominal, mine says 5 ohms nominal. Is this mean i can use either 8 or 6 ohms which ever sounds best to me?

vintage_tube 03-12-2018 01:32 PM

Just looking at the Stereophile measurements and comments by Art Dudley when he reviewed the Signature II's in 2007 -- he stated:

"Its impedance, however, remained between 6 and 8 ohms over almost the entire audio band (fig.1), the only exception being the mid-treble with the treble control set its maximum position, when the impedance dropped to 5 ohms at 6.2kHz and 9kHz."

https://i.imgur.com/QlRbRRF.jpg

Best Sir,

Bob