AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PMC Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   PMC OB1i Owners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=7619)

jwhite613 03-13-2011 07:54 PM

PMC OB1i Owners

Hi everyone. I recently home demoed a pair of B&W 803Ds (from store where I bought my mc402 & c2300) and liked them very much. I liked them enough I put my 804S' on Audiogon and sold them. Then I found another pair of the 803Ds locally $1100.00 cheaper than the store that let me demo them. The store wouldn't come down so the 803Ds went back. I am taking this as an opportunity to change things up. I found a demo pair of PMC OB1i's. I see a lot of great reviews here so I am thinking about giving them a shot. I figure to pull the trigger in the next few days. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices; the PMC OB1i, Tannoy Glenair 15's and the B&W 803D's (the other local store). Any feedback would be helpful. My equipment is listed below. Listen mostly to classic rock and blues. You vinyl guys see what I spin.

Thanks Jeff

Face 03-13-2011 08:10 PM

I would lean towards the Tannoys, but since I own a few pairs, I'm slightly biased. :)

Are you able to demo the Tannoy's or PMC's?

jdandy 03-13-2011 08:25 PM

Jeff.......I have a bias, too, PMC. The OB1i uses the same dome midrange and tweeter drivers as my EB1i's, and they are phenomenal. I believe you will be quite surprise how the transmission line loaded woofer will produce a solid and deep bass. Frequency response is rated 28HZ to 25kHz, and efficiency is 87dB @ 1 watt. Your MC402 will make these babies sing.

PMC Ltd

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/images/p...e4bf9e_ob1.jpg

Face 03-13-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 149159)
Frequency response is rated 28HZ to 25kHz, and efficiency is 87dB @ 1 watt. Your amp will make these babies sing.

PMC Ltd

It would be nice if they stated -3, -10, etc...

jdandy 03-13-2011 08:34 PM

Face.......Yes it would be nice, but since most frequency curves are extremely room and placement dependent, there wouldn't be a great amount of validity unless the speakers were set up in exactly the manner as the factory used when the original tests were performed.

My EB1i's are rated to 19Hz. I have played the Rives Test CD2 20Hz tone to test the output, and was surprised at the substantial output from the speaker at that frequency. How far down it might be from 25Hz or 30Hz I don't know, but there is soild output at 20Hz.

JJinID 03-13-2011 08:35 PM

My dad owns the PMC OB1is driven by a MC402 and C46, along with a MEN-220, MVP881, and Clearaudio Performance TT with Maestro Wood Cart. The OB1is took a while to break in, but are sounding very nice in his smaller room. They measure down flat to 30hz for his in-room response before they start to roll off, but he does augment the bottom end with a JL Audio F112 sub. Very clean, neutral, detailed and dynamic speakers that most certainly deserve an audition :thumbsup:

two dot 03-13-2011 08:54 PM

I have owned PMC EB2i's and PMC TB2i's and had a pair of the earlier pair of OB's in my room for about 3 months.

The OB's were BY FAR my favorite PMC speaker. They worked better in my room, although I have no doubt the EB is a "better" speaker, it did not sound better in my room.

While I have always wanted the Tannoy Glenaire that you speak of... many have told me that for rock and blues... that it may not be the best speaker.

Try to get a demo of the PMC's... my guess is that you will really love them.

Do you listen loud? The PMC play very well at louder volumes.

jwhite613 03-13-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face (Post 149157)
I would lean towards the Tannoys, but since I own a few pairs, I'm slightly biased. :)

Are you able to demo the Tannoy's or PMC's?

The Tannoys are 2+ hours away. I mentioned these like a week ago but I thought they were closer. Haven't been able to get there.

Jeff

jwhite613 03-13-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 149159)
Jeff.......I have a bias, too, PMC. The OB1i uses the same dome midrange and tweeter drivers as my EB1i's, and they are phenomenal. I believe you will be quite surprise how the transmission line loaded woofer will produce a solid and deep bass. Frequency response is rated 28HZ to 25kHz, and efficiency is 87dB @ 1 watt. Your MC402 will make these babies sing.

PMC Ltd

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/images/p...e4bf9e_ob1.jpg

Hey Dan. These have me the most intrigued and they are only around $5000.00. Also seem to hold their value fairly well. I would like to upgrade in 2 years. After listening to the 803d's I couldn't go back to the 804S'.

Thanks,
Jeff

jwhite613 03-13-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJinID (Post 149165)
My dad owns the PMC OB1is driven by a MC402 and C46, along with a MEN-220, MVP881, and Clearaudio Performance TT with Maestro Wood Cart. The OB1is took a while to break in, but are sounding very nice in his smaller room. They measure down flat to 30hz for his in-room response before they start to roll off, but he does augment the bottom end with a JL Audio F112 sub. Very clean, neutral, detailed and dynamic speakers that most certainly deserve an audition :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input. My room is 19 x13 with 8 foot ceilings. These are demos so they have some break-in time already. I want to get a JL sub in the next year.

Thanks,
Jeff