AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magnepan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Consider me a Magnepan Owner - question about break-in (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36241)

ylee 06-28-2016 06:15 PM

Consider me a Magnepan Owner - question about break-in

I made the decision to buy the pair of Magnepan 1.7i speakers that a friend of mine bought and had me store and break in for him. He's not due to finish his basement until the end of the year. It's been in my music room since he took delivery of it. The 1.7i will be my second set of speakers in addition to my Vandersteen Quatro Wood CTs.

I have the 1.7i in my system this week continuing to break them in. A question I have for existing owners is how long do Maggies take to completely settle in, especially in the bass end of the spectrum? I don't expect the 1.7i to generate a lot of sub bass tones, so I'm going to use my Velodyne DD-12 sub I've had for almost ten years to supplement. I just want to listen until the 1.7i has settled in before adding the DD-12 and adjusting the sub's equalization.

cma29 06-28-2016 10:29 PM

Wow, Yong. Welcome to the Maggie fraternity. :thumbsup:

I think the 1.7s should be fully broken in after a couple of hundred hours, but having said that you'll never get deep bass out of those panels but you can expect wonderful midrange and higher frequencies.

ylee 06-28-2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cma29 (Post 788753)
Wow, Yong. Welcome to the Maggie fraternity. :thumbsup:

I think the 1.7s should be fully broken in after a couple of hundred hours, but having said that you'll never get deep bass out of those panels but you can expect wonderful midrange and higher frequencies.

I hear you. Thanks Carlos. I won't expect them to have the visceral punch that cone drivers deliver. Other than the lack of real deep bass, the speakers already do plucked acoustic stringed instruments better than just about any others I've heard, whether the comparison is with my Quatros or Wilson Alexias or Magico S3s. Guitar strings and harpsichords are beautiful.

Vocals are very smooth too. From the mid-bass up the Quatro and 1.7i sound somewhat similar, which attests to a convergence toward accurate representation of the recorded event. There are subtle differences in some of the details highlighted between the two, but very close. The 1.7i will be a treat to use to explore my music collection as well as the myriad recordings available thru Tidal.

miatadan 06-29-2016 08:11 PM

I purchased a pair of Magnepan MG 1.7i 2 weeks ago.... From what I read break in period is 200-300 hours.

Bass response is surprising to me, last speakers were the Martin Logan Spires.

Using more power as these less efficient.

Dan

ylee 06-29-2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatadan (Post 788959)
I purchased a pair of Magnepan MG 1.7i 2 weeks ago.... From what I read break in period is 200-300 hours.

Bass response is surprising to me, last speakers were the Martin Logan Spires.

Using more power as these less efficient.

Dan

Dan - when you say bass response is surprising, do the 1.7is have more or less bass?

miatadan 07-01-2016 09:55 AM

The MG 1.7i had better bass than I expected.

kalali 07-15-2016 06:56 PM

Can you comment more on your experience switching from the Spires to the 1.7s? I have the ML Aerius (the i version) model and been wondering if moving to the 1.7 would be a significant upgrade, of course all else being equal. Thanks in advance.

timeout59 07-16-2016 01:27 PM

How much toe in are Maggie owners using? I've got 3.7i's and read in another forum with the tweeters on the inside, the woofer panel should be 1 inch farther from your ears than the tweeter. I've got mine that way now and think it sounds better. What do folks on this forum think?

Mikado463 07-16-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatadan (Post 789285)
The MG 1.7i had better bass than I expected.

but no where near your Spire's .....

ylee 07-16-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeout59 (Post 792408)
How much toe in are Maggie owners using? I've got 3.7i's and read in another forum with the tweeters on the inside, the woofer panel should be 1 inch farther from your ears than the tweeter. I've got mine that way now and think it sounds better. What do folks on this forum think?

I've got my 1.7s with the tweeters positioned on the outside with the plane of the panels exactly perpendicular to the imaginary line drawn from the middle of the speakers to my listening position.