AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Just Smoking & Drinking (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   How do you get a bottle of Pappy these days? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29124)

dhizzle 11-24-2014 03:17 AM

How do you get a bottle of Pappy these days?

I'm thinking that Pappy Vanwinkle should be released any day now, here in California, and was just wondering if anyone has any leads? I've been looking for either a 20 or 23 year for the past couple of years with no luck. It seems these days you have to know a distributer or a store owner really well or be willing to pay huge markups. 2010 and earlier, you could walk into most stores and see a bottles on the back of a shelf collecting dust.
I was able to get a 15 year and a 13 year Rye in 2010, but haven't had any luck since.
Send me a PM if you know where to get a hold of one. BTW it will be for me and drank by me.

Maks 11-25-2014 12:08 AM

You really have to know a bar/store owner or distributor these days. I've got a couple feelers out here in Chicago, but no luck so far.

Lunchy 11-25-2014 10:14 AM

It might help to be a...trillionaire: Pappy Van Winkle, The Bourbon So Popular Even Billionaires Can’t Find It - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ ;)

I keep an eye out for it too knowing I'll never see it. I tell my wife to look for it when she goes to the grocery store. :lmao:

Doug Lax 11-25-2014 04:35 PM

Still mad but.......try Bushmills 21 very smooth and complex that is what I have been drinking since Pappy is MIA

djwhog 11-25-2014 07:16 PM

Yep lucky for me 2 years ago local bar/store in WY is customer of mine, she was the Only store in all of WY that got the one and only case that came to our state, I was given a bottle as a tip, and I bought one bottle.

That is about 30% gone, the other bottle I gave to a BIG whiskey head..

dhizzle 11-26-2014 04:25 AM

I'm always on the lookout too. It's really all about the hunt and finding that elusive piece. I was at the grocery store, about a year and a half ago, and decided to go into this hole-in-the wall Liquor store next door. There was a bottle of Jefferson Presidential Select 18 year sitting on the top shelf. You never know what you are going to find unless you go in and look and it seems the good finds are always in the unlikeliest places.

This is the best time of year for Bourbon. I've had a couple of good finds this Fall. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Makers Mark Cask Strength, Parkers Heritage Wheated Whiskey, and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Those will last me for a long time. But the two I would really like to find are the Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition and the Pappy Vanwinkle.

GreginNH1 06-30-2019 02:58 PM

I just dropped $2,800 on a bottle of Pappy 23 as a retirement gift for one of my first clients who took a big chance on our start-up company 17 years ago. I traveled down to New York City, we had dinner at Keen’s (world famous mutton chops of course). I told him not to open the box until get got home. He was of course, floored as he knows his bourbons.

Apparently, I could have paid much more.

jdandy 06-30-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhizzle (Post 653151)
Send me a PM if you know where to get a hold of one. BTW it will be for me and drank by me.

dhizzle.......As a basic member who is not a Subscriber to the forum you are unable to send or receive PM's from Subscribers.

Masterlu 06-30-2019 04:10 PM

I’m on the hunt...

https://17pvpo1atgwq2icomn3sti3r-wpe...nwinkle-23.jpg

For The Love of Music 06-30-2019 04:20 PM

I’m not all that familiar with Pappy, and did a search.

I see a bunch of 10/12 year old for around $6-700. That may be a thought to score a few bottles of that and see what happens in 10-12 years.