AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Photography (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Question for the Fuji X users (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38377)

woodlander 01-20-2017 10:53 PM

Question for the Fuji X users

There seem to be a number of Fuji fans who frequent this site. I am looking for a new camera and I think it is going to be a Fuji.

I am having a difficult time making a decision between the X-Pro2 and the X-T2, but I hope to resolve that soon, so I can get on with taking some photos. Today, I am leaning toward the X-T2, but that could change.

My question involves a problem I have read about with Fuji X series, and possibly other brands of mirror-less digital cameras. The problem is seen when shooting into the sun, or another bright light source and shows up as just excessive flare - sometimes to the extent that the intended image is obscured. At other times, it kind of looks good - like an intended effect. It is known as 'red dots' or 'purple flare'. There are possibly other names, but those are the ones I know. The issue appears to be based on internal reflections either in the sensor or mounting. I may have some of the details wrong, but the problem appears to be real. My question is whether any of the Fuji users have seen this and how serious a problem it really is?

Like many of you, I have been very impressed with the quality of the images generated by Fuji cameras, especially the X series. I can probably live with the problem in exchange for the beautiful images, but I would like to know what I am getting in for.

Please... I am not trolling. I know ardent fans don't want to hear anything bad about their baby. I am looking for information before I spend money. Thanks, in advance for any positive responses.

Weirdcuba 01-21-2017 12:42 PM

Owned an xT-2 for about 45 days. Haven't experienced this.

woodlander 01-21-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 827530)
Owned an xT-2 for about 45 days. Haven't experienced this.

Thank you. That is encouraging.

Masterlu 01-21-2017 05:35 PM

Joe... I never had any issues either; amazing camera.

woodlander 01-21-2017 08:45 PM

I am getting the idea that this isn't really too prevalent a problem. Maybe it is time to order one.

chessman 01-22-2017 10:36 AM

I have been using a Fuji XT-1 for over a year without any problems. I don't even use lens hoods.

AudioNut 01-22-2017 09:17 PM

I've been using Fuji cameras for a little over 4 years. Started with the X-E1, then X-E2, X-100T, X-T1 and I now own the X-T2 and X-Pro2 - and I have never once experienced the problem you mention.

I would mention that I tend to routinely grab the X-Pro2 when I go out to take pictures. I have large hands and the (larger) X-Pro just seems to fit me better. I also like the feel and operation of that camera.

FWIW - It may be that, after using the X-T1 for two + years, I just like the feel of something new and different - but I really like the X-Pro2 better. The X-T2 looks and feels just like the X-T1 , although it is vastly improved.

And, I think that no matter which top level Fuji you choose, you will be very happy.

mtroo 01-22-2017 09:48 PM

Their glass is really top notch. I have an XT-1 since it came out and could not be happier.

1KW 01-22-2017 09:55 PM

I have a XE-1 and a XT-1 , no problems with either one

woodlander 01-22-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNut (Post 827859)
I really like the X-Pro2 better.

I think that no matter which top level Fuji you choose, you will be very happy.

Thank you for that input. This is proving to be a tough choice. I really like the X-Pro2 because it reminds me of the old Leica M6 that I used for many years before film became obsolete.

The X-T2 may be a bit more versatile though. Hard decision.