AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wireworld Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Solstice 7 speaker wire is a sleeper (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=21617)

jdandy 06-14-2013 05:55 PM

Solstice 7 speaker wire is a sleeper

I received my 5 meter pair of Wireworld Solstice 7 speaker cables today. I wanted to wire my JBL 4312A's to the Tandberg 3026A power amplifier with a good quality speaker cable, but since this is a vintage system I wanted to keep a cap on the price while still getting good performance.

The Solstice 7 speaker wire surprised me with its size and heft. I put a pencil in the photo for some perspective. Each cable has two black and two red flat cables twisted around each other inside the outer jacket so the Solstice 7 speaker cable is a good candidate for a reasonably priced bi-wire configuration if a person is so inclined. The spade terminals are gold plated and hefty.

The Solstice 7 speaker cable is replacing some basic 14 gauge Lowes speaker wire I've had on the vintage system for a long time. I was used to the sound and felt it was acceptable, so imagine my surprise when the Solstice 7 speaker cable made my vintage system sound like I bought a new preamp and amp. Honestly, right out of the box the Wireworld Solstice 7 speaker cable sounds open and dynamic with very good resolution. My bass grew weight and depth, the midrange clarity improved, and the top end opened up substantially compared the zip type speaker cable. I couldn't be happier, especially since the retail price for a 5 meter pair of Solstice 7 speaker cables with gold plated spade terminals is only $230.00. That's not a typo, yes $230.00 for a 5 meter pair. The Solstice 7 is a 13 gauge oxygen-free copper speaker cable. I would not hesitate to recommend the Wireworld Solstice 7 speaker cable to anyone looking for very good performance on a tight budget. In my humble opinion the Solstice 7 speaker cable is a sleeper, performing well above its price range.

Wireworld Solstice 7 speaker cable

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/9...f52793b2_c.jpg

Wireworld Solstice 7 speaker cable terminals

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3730/9...ecec01e7_c.jpg

Tandberg 3026A power amp, 3008A preamp, 3011A tuner, Denon DV-2800 source

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2894/9...2bf9b01a_c.jpg

tweet 06-14-2013 11:51 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the excellent review of the Wireworld Solistice 7 speaker cables. I've been thinking about new speaker cables for my JBL L100's when I complete the cabinet restoration. The Wireworld Solstice 7 may be the answer.

The vintage Tandberg amp, preamp, tuner and Denon player looks fantastic and in mint condition. Is the Denon DV-2800 a recent addition? I have a Denon DCD 1500 II CD player upstairs with my Crown/JBL system and it still looks and sounds like it did when I bought it back in the 80s. It's been a great CD player.

I hope you'll post your impressions and more about the setup after you've had some time to play with it. :thumbsup:

jdandy 06-14-2013 11:59 PM

Terry.......I purchased the Denon DV-2800 new quite a few years ago from Sound Advice in Tallahassee, Florida. I don't think it has over 100 hours on it. I bought it for my office system and it just didn't get much use. I connected it to the Tandberg system today and was mighty impressed with how good it sounds. It also decode HDCD. It looks and operates like it is brand new.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the WW Solstice speaker cable on your JBL L100's. This cable sounds very good. My vintage system has never sounded any better.

tweet 06-15-2013 12:13 AM

Dan,

I wonder how many of us have players and equipment stashed away or sitting on a shelf somewhere in the house just waiting on the opportunity to impress once again. My guess would be most of us. :)

The Tandberg/Denon combo looks great. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Vintage Pete 06-15-2013 10:49 PM

I'd been awaiting Dan's impressions of the Solstice speaker cables. This is likely what I will use when I get around to that portion of my office Crown system's recabling. I think this will be just the ticket. :yes:

Thanks Dan for the usual excellent review.:thumbsup:

Pete

jdandy 06-15-2013 11:31 PM

Pete.......I feel comfortable recommending the WW Solstice speaker cable. I think this cable will compliment your office vintage Crown system very well. The price to performance ratio makes this cable an absolute bargain.

1KW 06-16-2013 08:57 PM

Dan I have been using a pair of 8 meter soltice 6 speaker cable in my 2 channel room for several years now and have not felt the urge to move up. I agree it is very well built speaker cable.

jdandy 06-16-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 503089)
Dan I have been using a pair of 8 meter soltice 6 speaker cable in my 2 channel room for several years now and have not felt the urge to move up. I agree it is very well built speaker cable.

David.......I wasn't aware of the speaker cables you are using, but I am not surprised to hear you are happy with the Wireworld Solstice 6 speaker cable. I am very impressed with its performance in my vintage system. I previously tried the Wireworld Oasis speaker cable on this same system and was pleased with its performance, but the physical diameter of the cable was too large for my application. That is why I selected the Solstice. I had my fingers crossed when ordering the cable that it would satisfy me. I can report that the Solstice speaker cable's performance is worth more than its price. Like I said, the Solstice speaker cable is a sleeper in the Wireworld catalog.

1KW 06-16-2013 09:27 PM

Dan I doubt for a short run of only 5 meters you would notice any difference between 10 gauge and 12 gauge speaker cables. If you had a longer run maybe . Glad that your happy :D

Vintage Pete 06-16-2013 10:45 PM

Dan....I'm thinking the Solstice speaker cable, being more manageable in its physical size, may also work well for upgrading the speaker cables in my Florida room's system. As you know, one channel as well as the subwoofer cable has to traverse across a doorway.

Pete