AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Dream, Aquire, Repeat... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1245)

Masterlu 06-13-2009 05:20 PM

Dream, Aquire, Repeat...

So when is enough, enough; even for us audiophiles?

OK, you set your goals on that new piece of gear. You dream about it, research it, audition it & finally aquire it.

You read the manual cover to cover, learning all the features & secrets about it.

You install & integrate it into your system, you tweak or customize your piece to your liking.

Then, you repeat the process in another area. When or where is the finish line. Being a hobby / passion does it go on forever? Do you simply settle at a given point re: money or the marriage puts the brakes on for you.

For myself, I enjoy the constant thrill and challenge. If I am not busy building something new, then I concentrate on improving whatever I currently have.

I guess, like a "gear head" constantly trying to lower that 1/4 mile time, or 0-60mph ET.

gregswaim 06-13-2009 05:31 PM

I'm so happy with the sound from my 2 systems now that the only thing left to do is enjoy the music and buy more music. I have a new phono stage and MC pickup on the way for my TT and that's about it. I've spent 3 years checking out many different components and I'm quite happy with how things have turned out. Later on, maybe a new tonearm for my LP12.....wait and see. :music:

Masterlu 06-13-2009 05:36 PM

Don't you ever feel you are missing out on something?

gregswaim 06-13-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 21503)
Don't you ever feel you are missing out on something?

Like what? :scratch2:

Masterlu 06-13-2009 05:44 PM

Something better sounding?

gregswaim 06-13-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 21509)
Something better sounding?

I've heard the Linn Klimax DS processor- completely amazing! That's the best source component that I've ever heard to date. And yes, a tube amp was used so no digital glare on the way out from the speakers.
The DS processor is computer based playback system and that's not a direction that I wish to follow.:no:
Improvements that I've noticed from other components recently only yield a very minimal improvement and the cost to acquire that minimal improvement is well into 5 figures- not a worth while investment in my opinion.
CDP's are only as of recently starting to sound better than analog playback(TT's) and that's only with high end CDP's, and already there's talk of eliminating that as a playback format citing "old playback technology". This is comical in my opinion because vinyl playback has been around for 100+ years and is now seeing somewhat of a come back. Just my thoughts....

1KW 06-13-2009 06:50 PM

This forum lets you vicariously enjoy other members improvements which sometimes becomes contagious.

Masterlu 06-13-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 21540)
This forum lets you vicariously enjoy other members improvements which sometimes becomes contagious.

Yes, but it's all good! :buddy:

jdandy 06-13-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 21540)

David.......Contagious? More like Pandemic! :yes:

Masterlu 06-13-2009 07:18 PM

Pandemic (definition) is an epidemic of infectious disease that spreads through populations across a large region; for instance a continent, or even worldwide.

Run for your life! :running: