AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MX150, so frustrated....its just a paper weight, 4th update, 29 Dec (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40019)

xconcepts 07-23-2017 08:55 AM

MX150, so frustrated....its just a paper weight, 4th update, 29 Dec

Ok, so since McIntosh doesn't really want to reply to my emails and help me figure out WTF is going on I'd like to ask the forum for any input. I am the original owner when I bought the store display back in 2011.

Please disregard the temp TV position as I was having a new entertainment center built.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwHQTBU778

I have already done a hard reset, reset the MCU (it has actually done that on its own), re-positioned one of the cards inside per McIntosh, tightened another set of screws per McIntosh, replaced the flash card, removed and reinstalled flash card, left unplugged for over 30 mins.

It doesn't like having a signal hooked up to it. First I had HDMI's going to all the inputs, then went to a single optical from the TV.....if I unplug the optical it will stay on, once it see's that signal though....reboot, reboot, reboot. I can't even use the damn thing right now.

cleeds 07-23-2017 11:06 AM

Have you asked your dealer for assistance?

tweet 07-23-2017 11:40 AM

Try updating the firmware on your TV. I had a similar issue but it was the Samsung TV - not the MX150. If the MX150 works with HDMI, then your Samsung TV is the paper weight.

audioguy3107 07-23-2017 12:11 PM

What is the HDMI source you're using? Does it do it with all sources (Sat TV, blu ray, game system, etc.)??? I assume the TV is OK when the HDMI source is sent straight through to the TV bypassing the MX 150?

- Buck

Blueoak 07-23-2017 12:55 PM

I love Mcintosh, but I would never buy their rebranded and tuned Marantz processors. Would love to see them build a processor from scratch, but their current business model can't support it.

Masterlu 07-23-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueoak (Post 857420)
I love Mcintosh, but I would never buy their rebranded and tuned Marantz processors. Would love to see them build a processor from scratch, but their current business model can't support it.

Sad, but true :sigh:

SuperD 07-23-2017 02:12 PM

MX150, so frustrated....its just a paper weight

I had an MX150 since its introduction years ago. First unit wasn't able to use the remote. Second unit worked for years until recently it smoked. Repair cost is $3000 or about what they sell for used and it is still not finished and am told it could be months away. Ended up getting a Bryston SP3 from Ivan. In my opinion and experience, stay away from McIntosh digital. Their products are forgotten after introduction and do not hold any value for resale at least processors. Mx150, 151, 160. Firmware updates seemed to cause more trouble than anything. Amps are a different and better story.

crwilli 07-23-2017 02:15 PM

MX150, so frustrated....its just a paper weight

I feel for the OP and suggest they take a breath, talk to their dealer and keep the faith. It could be an easy fix or...

I have a Mc Processor that has now been at the factory for 9 months with no idea when it will get looked at. But my dealer is doing me right so I haven't been without a theater system all this time.

vintage_tube 07-23-2017 02:32 PM

Can you say Charles Randall? Not sure it will get any better back at HQ as he was promoted to group CEO in December 2016.

Back to topic - hope your troubleshooting finds a root cause and that it is resolved so you can enjoy it.:yes:

Best Sirs,

Bob

xconcepts 07-23-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleeds (Post 857404)
Have you asked your dealer for assistance?

My dealer was a Magnolia store in San Diego and I am stationed in Japan right now.