AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Vintage Crown FM2 Tuner On Its Way (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30828)

jdandy 03-23-2015 09:37 PM

Vintage Crown FM2 Tuner On Its Way

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3702/8...0b5edd77_c.jpg

Yeah, I know, like I need another tuner but as it worked out I have a mint Crown FM2 tuner on its way to me. Some of you may remember about two years ago I saw this tuner on eBay along with a Crown amp and preamp. Pete (Vintage Pete) purchased the amplifier and I almost purchased the tuner but changed my mind because of how many tuners I already own. None the less I was drawn to this tuner like a moth to a flame. Terry (thughes) had posted that he was looking for a tuner so I made a post on AA letting him know about the Crown FM2. He bought it and had planned to use it in an all tube system. Well, here it is almost two years later and Terry never put together the tube system he was thinking about and never used the tuner. At the time he purchased the Crown FM2 I had asked him to let me have the right of first refusal if he ever decided to sell it. Yesterday was that day. He asked me if I was interested in the Crown FM2 tuner and I said yes. So that's it. It shipped today and I should have it Thursday. I plan to install the FM2 in the control room side of the recording studio. It should be a nice addition to one of my engineering racks in the control room. Funny how things work out sometimes. Yes, I am smiling. :)

Yamaki 03-23-2015 09:41 PM

Dan...nice acquisition. Congratulations!

Masterlu 03-23-2015 10:13 PM

Dan... That sure is a great looking tuner. :yes:

jdandy 03-23-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 685994)
Dan... That sure is a great looking tuner. :yes:

Ivan.......I agree, it is an attractive tuner. The Crown FM2 is from the mid 1980's. This was the Crown glory days for amplifiers, preamplifiers, equalizers, and tuners. Had Crown continued at the level of engineering expertise and design that they had going in those day they would be standing tall in the ranks of todays high-end manufacturers. Crown gear from this era is excellent. I expect this tuner to perform and sound very good. The beautiful Crown case it comes in is also quite striking to view. I am looking forward to putting the Crown FM2 tuner to use.

chessman 03-23-2015 11:08 PM

Dan, it's a pretty rascal. :)

jdandy 03-23-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 686009)
Dan, it's a pretty rascal. :)

Randy.......That it is. This will make five tuners in my stable not including the tuner built into my MAC4300V receiver. I think I better put a cork in the bottle to stop the flow of out going cash. :D

djwhog 03-24-2015 12:01 AM

Nice Dan congrats.

So what happened to Crown, why did they change direction? Man they used to make mega powerfully yet clean amps. No just mega power pay stuff :(

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Vintage Pete 03-24-2015 12:25 AM

That's a very pretty tuner Dan...I'm pleased to see it staying in the AA family. I'm very pleased wit the Power Line Four amplifier that had come from the same seller a couple of years ago. Like this tuner, it is in mint condition. :thumbsup:

jdandy 03-24-2015 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwhog (Post 686022)
Nice Dan congrats.

So what happened to Crown, why did they change direction? Man they used to make mega powerfully yet clean amps. No just mega power pay stuff :(

Dave.......Crown was purchased by Harman International and their marketing scope was redirected under Harman Professional toward pro audio and concert sound reinforcement. Harman Professional is the world’s largest professional audio company. Brands include AKG Acoustics, AMX, BSS Audio, Crown, dbx, JBL Professional, Lexicon, Martin, Soundcraft, and Studer. These companies design, manufacture and market leading professional audio products for recording and broadcast, musicians, cinema, touring sound, commercial sound and contracting applications. Crown's home audio venture was put out to pasture.

Crown was originally known as IREC and built tape recorders. In 1972 the name Crown was voted on and adopted by the shareholders. In 1964, the company invented their first solid-state amplifier called the SA 20-20. From then on, the focus switched from tape recorders to amplifiers and the business was quickly growing. Harman International acquired Crown in March of 2000 and that essentially ended Crown's home audio direction. Today, under the direction of Harman Professional, Crown manufactures 14 different amplifier lines for professional, studio, cinema, and broadcast facilities. They offer a complete line of Touring components as well.

Crown is no longer the hand built home audio components of the 70's and 80's but the audio components from that era are robust, well designed, and are still sought after by many audio enthusiasts.

jdandy 03-24-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Pete (Post 686028)
That's a very pretty tuner Dan...I'm pleased to see it staying in the AA family. I'm very pleased wit the Power Line Four amplifier that had come from the same seller a couple of years ago. Like this tuner, it is in mint condition. :thumbsup:

Pete.......Thank you. I'll warehouse the Crown FM2 for you until you're ready to make it a part of that amazing Crown system you have in your office. :D