AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Stillpoints ULtra SS and Ultra Mini's under dCS Transport/MC2301's and C1100 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40954)

vintage_tube 10-28-2017 06:19 PM

Stillpoints ULtra SS and Ultra Mini's under dCS Transport/MC2301's and C1100

Received these the other day -- thank you Ivan -- I am in amazement with what they have mutually brought to my system. I knew my footer isolation wasn't weak but could use an upgrade; especially under the dCS Transport & somewhat the same feeling under my MC2301's.

So, I assessed my needs, placed an order thru Ivan and after a 6 hour ordeal in dismanteling all racks, removing all gear (dusting , etc), and taking a detour to the hardware store to get 2 locking 10/32" nuts for the amps (in a box in the attic behind the Alexia crates--no thanks).

Installed in one afternoon on all components, it's impossible to narrow the benefit to each, but collectively, larger soundstage, microdynamics (I love the details), and smoothness to the music is in spades.

Well worth the money and of course the backbreaking feat I undertook this afternoon.

Best Sirs,

Bob

P.S. I placed four HRS NA-150's between the C1100T and the controller.

https://i.imgur.com/RfFl6Um.jpg

Oops -- where's the dang pressed in nut?
https://i.imgur.com/E1PLiwM.jpg
The "turtles" have feet:D:thumbsup:
https://i.imgur.com/mGxgKKg.jpg
Finally -- all back together (no mishaps along the way) & :music:
https://i.imgur.com/YiRbegO.jpg

Masterlu 10-28-2017 06:25 PM

Bob... Super Job, well done! Welcome to Audio Crack-Land! :lmao:

jdandy 10-28-2017 06:54 PM

Bob.......Nice job. Those MC2301's are a bear to move around. It's not a chore I want to do again, but getting the Stillpoints Ultra SS under the amps was worth the effort. The cumulative improvement Stillpoints deliver in soundstage, micro-dynamics, and ease with which the music flows is not to be missed by those who have yet to give them a try. Well done.

MisterBritt 10-28-2017 07:07 PM

Very nice. Just curious -- at the risk of detracting from what you achieved getting this all together -- but what's the story on the 2 locking 10/32" nuts for the amps?

Maybe there's a photo somewhere in the Show Us Your McIntosh system thread, but maybe the new set up warrants another photo opportunity? I'd love to see a shot of the whole room, to include the Alexia speakers in Argento Silver sometime. Beautiful!

SL1800 10-28-2017 08:19 PM

I bet that was a lot of work, glad it’s paying off now.

docmd2010 10-28-2017 10:53 PM

Bob

Congrats on a fantastic addition! Your system looks amazing btw. I love the R2R.

"cool beans sir"

vintage_tube 10-28-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBritt (Post 875697)
Very nice. Just curious -- at the risk of detracting from what you achieved getting this all together -- but what's the story on the 2 locking 10/32" nuts for the amps?

Well, the original metal stock feet were unscrewed from a factory pressed-in nut which is inside the Mc2301 bottom plate. When I removed the 4 metal feet years ago, two of the 4 pressed-in nuts dropped inside the unit. No biggie, I just unscrewed half of the Philips screws holding the metal base plate & tipped the MC2301 to one corner & the two nuts came sliding out.

Along with the metal feet, I put those 2 nuts in a hefty quart bag and lifted the now footerless MC2301's & gently lowered the MC2301 onto the shelf ----now resting on HRS NA-150's.

Well today when I was installing the Stillpoints Ultra SS's -- two of the 4 original feet holes had no nut in which to screw the 10/32 X 1/4-20 adapters. I forgot about the pressed in nuts that came loose & which I placed in the hefty bag years ago -- then I realized it and knew where they were.

Those two nuts which I retrieved years back are in that hefty zip bag, in one of the MC2301 boxes which are behind the Wilson Audio Alexia wooden crates. In order to retrieve them it would be another hour plus ordeal.

Quickest alternative -- I take a ride to the local hardware store 3/4 mile away and buy 2 10/32 locking nuts than mess with moving the crates and boxes to retrieve the original locking nuts.

So, 20 minutes and 71 cents later I'm in business installing the Ultra SS to the one amp.

Best Sir,

Bob

vintage_tube 10-29-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 875676)
Bob... Super Job, well done! Welcome to Audio Crack-Land! :lmao:

The Pusher Man speaks (aka Steppenwolf –:yes:). Thank-you Ivan:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 875690)
Bob.......Nice job. Those MC2301's are a bear to move around. It's not a chore I want to do again, but getting the Stillpoints Ultra SS under the amps was worth the effort. The cumulative improvement Stillpoints deliver in soundstage, micro-dynamics, and ease with which the music flows is not to be missed by those who have yet to give them a try. Well done.

I no longer hate your guts Dan – :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBritt (Post 875697)
Maybe there's a photo somewhere in the Show Us Your McIntosh system thread, but maybe the new set up warrants another photo opportunity? I'd love to see a shot of the whole room, to include the Alexia speakers in Argento Silver sometime. Beautiful!

In due time – guarantee it.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL1800 (Post 875731)
I bet that was a lot of work, glad it’s paying off now.

Thanks Steve – working on a finalized stage with my gear. More Nordost cables coming early next week.:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 875756)
Bob

Congrats on a fantastic addition! Your system looks amazing btw. I love the R2R.

"cool beans sir"

Thank-you Aditya – that R-R I’ve owned since day one in 1974 – it’s mint. May not be a Studder – but IMO my true love with many, many memories of great times. It’s been all over the world – Far East, Mid-East, Europe & now resting comfortably in a front-and-center, I mean business perch. I love it & has been my audio lifeline of audio days ago.

Best Sirs,

Bob

jdandy 10-29-2017 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 875770)
I no longer hate your guts Dan – :D

Bob....... :roflmao:

MisterBritt 10-29-2017 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 875761)
Well, the original metal stock feet were unscrewed from a factory pressed-in nut which is inside the Mc2301 bottom plate. When I removed the 4 metal feet years ago, two of the 4 pressed-in nuts dropped inside the unit. No biggie, I just unscrewed half of the Philips screws holding the metal base plate & tipped the MC2301 to one corner & the two nuts came sliding out.

Along with the metal feet, I put those 2 nuts in a hefty quart bag and lifted the now footerless MC2301's & gently lowered the MC2301 onto the shelf ----now resting on HRS NA-150's.

Well today when I was installing the Stillpoints Ultra SS's -- two of the 4 original feet holes had no nut in which to screw the 10/32 X 1/4-20 adapters. I forgot about the pressed in nuts that came loose & which I placed in the hefty bag years ago -- then I realized it and knew where they were.

Those two nuts which I retrieved years back are in that hefty zip bag, in one of the MC2301 boxes which are behind the Wilson Audio Alexia wooden crates. In order to retrieve them it would be another hour plus ordeal.

Quickest alternative -- I take a ride to the local hardware store 3/4 mile away and buy 2 10/32 locking nuts than mess with moving the crates and boxes to retrieve the original locking nuts.

So, 20 minutes and 71 cents later I'm in business installing the Ultra SS to the one amp.

Best Sir,

Bob

Ha ha. Great story. That solves it. Thanks.