AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Analog Pressings (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Anyone? Marvin Gaye What's Going On Super Vinyl (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43961)

djwhog 10-01-2018 05:53 PM

Anyone? Marvin Gaye What's Going On Super Vinyl

Marvin Gaye What's Going On UltraDisc One-Step
PRICEY! :yes:

THIS ITEM IS A PREORDER: WILL NOT SHIP UNTIL AVAILABLE

Mastered from the Original Master Tapes and Pressed on MoFi SuperVinyl: The Ultimate Version of Marvin Gaye's Groundbreaking Album

Deluxe Audiophile Pressing Strictly Limited to 7,500 Numbered Copies (Limit Two Per Customer)

jdandy 10-01-2018 07:31 PM

Dave.......Call me a party pooper if you wish, but this constant regurgitation of "master" recordings on some supposedly new medium created in some new way leaves me completely disinterested. Now record companies, pressing plants, and vinyl retailers want us to fork up even more cash for this "new" LP technique, expecting us to purchase another copy of some recording we likely already have several copies of, all because they have supposedly improved something. Oh yeah, I'm believing that.

In general the quality of current vinyl pressings, already at ridiculous prices, is hit or miss with no assurance of getting a quality pressing. My personal experiences have demonstrated that approximately 25%, perhaps even a bit more, of the vinyl I purchased in the past couple of years has been defective in some way, i.e. noisy, tick's and pops due to vinyl defects, with some defects visible to the naked eye, and yes I wash my records. Not only are low quality pressings anticlimactic and disappointing from an end user's perspective, it adds cost for return shipping, waiting for replacements, and sometimes having replacements be defective thus requiring additional cost for return shipping, and waiting for a third copy to show up. It takes all the fun out of the purchasing experience. Return shipping by US Mail for an album has cost me $8.00 each time. Add return costs to the cost of the original LP purchase, typically $29.00 to $39.00 per album plus shipping, and now the true cost of an LP goes as high as $52.00. If a second return is required, twice happening to me, the cost goes even higher. That's absurd. I have a copy of a Houston Persons LP that is still defective after a second replacement. I gave up and kept it because I did not want to go through a third return process and expense. It gets old pretty darn fast. For me it isn't worth the hit or miss aspect of purchasing mail order LP's. No matter what the retailers advertise or say, it's a crap shoot. I am a fussy audiophile. I expect to receive full value for my purchases. Even 45 years ago when I was spending $4.00 per LP I expected a clean pressing. For $39.00 plus shipping per LP at today's prices, I damn sure want my money's worth.

Weirdcuba 10-01-2018 08:49 PM

Despite Dan's likely wise counsel, I'm in. Love this album and will take it for the collection.

doggiehowser 10-01-2018 11:13 PM

Is this part of the same series as Nightfly and Bridge over Troubled Water?

Nightfly was phenomenal. And Bridge over Troubled Water is sold out much faster than Nightfly.

If this is from the series, I'd run and preorder right now

Poppyhome 10-02-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 934023)
Is this part of the same series as Nightfly and Bridge over Troubled Water?

Nightfly was phenomenal. And Bridge over Troubled Water is sold out much faster than Nightfly.

If this is from the series, I'd run and preorder right now

$124.99 US Dollars for a vinyl record, and one slight mishap can ruin for life. :scratch2:
How much down under?

Ron

doggiehowser 10-02-2018 09:00 AM

Don’t know yet. Bridge over Troubled Water was A$220

Masterlu 10-02-2018 09:22 AM

I’ll wait for Super Duper Vinyl :D

miner 10-02-2018 01:49 PM

These UD One-Steps have gone from $99 to $125! I'll pass on this one.

mtroo 10-03-2018 09:23 AM

The market seems to believe it is a good value. Every one of these releases has sold out and subsequently sells for a premium on eBay, etc..

Poppyhome 10-03-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 934170)
The market seems to believe it is a good value. Every one of these releases has sold out and subsequently sells for a premium on eBay, etc..

Who's the market? :scratch2:
Show me the sales breakdown.......
It's easy for a select group of wealthy people to hoard the releases and up-sell at a premium.

Very sad. :tears:

Ron

gadawg 10-03-2018 11:28 AM

For anywhere near $100 for a recording I’ll likely never experience it! I also agree with Dan in that I’m tired of seeing the same old albums in some new format. I’ll sit this one out.

George

mtroo 10-03-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 934171)
It's easy for a select group of wealthy people to hoard the releases and up-sell at a premium.

Ron

I think you've answered the question. The market is the people who purchase the product. It would not seem they are targeting low income folks. What would the sales breakdown answer? They sell out. MoFI will keep raising prices until they don't sell out. I guess maybe I'm missing the point.

Is there data that the individuals purchasing these are wealthy people looking to "up-sell"? I would think the truly wealthy would not bother to endeavor in hoarding these releases and re-selling them. I am sure there are ways around the 2 album limit, but the time and effort required would not be worth the effort to someone who is "wealthy". Not even sure what that designation means.

doggiehowser 10-03-2018 01:02 PM

One of the guys who bought Nightfly runs it on a relatively cheap ProJect 1Xp turntable.

Nowhere near what some guys here spend on a turntable. But the quality of that record on that relatively affordable system imho sounds superb. If you treat records as a source component, it doesn’t seem too expensive.

Poppyhome 10-03-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 934185)
One of the guys who bought Nightfly runs it on a relatively cheap ProJect 1Xp turntable.

Nowhere near what some guys here spend on a turntable. But the quality of that record on that relatively affordable system imho sounds superb. If you treat records as a source component, it doesn’t seem too expensive.

Yep........everyone spends and values money differently........that's what makes the world go round.

Ron

scirica 10-03-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 934171)

Ron

I honestly don't see a high percentage of re-sales at this point. I know I'm only one data point, but I've bought every one of the 1 steps so for and they are listened to regularly!

mtroo 10-03-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 934190)
I honestly don't see a high percentage of re-sales at this point. I know I'm only one data point, but I've bought every one of the 1 steps so for and they are listened to regularly!

I unfortunately missed the Santana release, but I am not willing to pay the price on the secondary market.

djwhog 10-03-2018 04:37 PM

I like the idea of the technology and would love to give a disc or to a spin, but even in a format that is suppose to be better, most times comes down to the master(s) and the recording engineer.

Most time for example a sacd is much better than the similar redbook CD, but I have a few that SUCK!

I too am kinda a little lie Dan started out saying, i get sick of owning 12 copies of everything. I think if it was $49 I would bite :)

Formerly YB-2 10-19-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 934179)
I think you've answered the question. The market is the people who purchase the product. It would not seem they are targeting low income folks. What would the sales breakdown answer? They sell out. MoFI will keep raising prices until they don't sell out. I guess maybe I'm missing the point.

Is there data that the individuals purchasing these are wealthy people looking to "up-sell"? I would think the truly wealthy would not bother to endeavor in hoarding these releases and re-selling them. I am sure there are ways around the 2 album limit, but the time and effort required would not be worth the effort to someone who is "wealthy". Not even sure what that designation means.

+1............ indeed, your life would have to be incredibly boring to spend it purchasing new, high-$$ pressings and reselling at a profit in a very small market. These LPs are pretty much like the rest of our high-end gear. If you want them and can afford, its your choice. Like $4000 power cords.

scirica 10-19-2018 09:41 AM

I have to agree. While people may buy an extra copy for selling or gifting, they are don’t look at this as an investment strategy. I bought 2 copies of The Nightfly and ended up selling one to a friend after they sold out. I think I charged him $125. I won’t be retiring on that!

mtroo 10-19-2018 10:40 AM

The site also has for preorder "Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood". I do not recall seeing that before.

audioguy3107 10-19-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 936307)
The site also has for preorder "Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood". I do not recall seeing that before.

I think I'll pass on the SRV......It's just hard for me to believe that they can best what Analogue Productions did with his Texas Hurricane box set....the 45 RPMs are simply amazing. I did read a rumor that Bob Dylan's Blood on The Tracks may be coming up, that's one of my favorite albums so I'll be in for that one if true.

- Buck

briweed 10-19-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 936310)
I think I'll pass on the SRV......It's just hard for me to believe that they can best what Analogue Productions did with his Texas Hurricane box set....the 45 RPMs are simply amazing. I did read a rumor that Bob Dylan's Blood on The Tracks may be coming up, that's one of my favorite albums so I'll be in for that one if true.

- Buck

Buck,

you can pre-order any of the Mofi-One Step disks today from Musicdirect.... and yes Blood on the Tracks is one of them :banana:

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (Lmt Ed UltraDisc One-Step 45rpm Vinyl 2LP Box Set)
LMFUD1S006

B

Poppyhome 10-19-2018 12:05 PM

Aren't all these 2 LP sets a big PIA, having to change sides after 3 songs or so?

Why are manufactures doing this injustice. :scratch2:

Ron

audioguy3107 10-19-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 936313)
Aren't all these 2 LP sets a big PIA, having to change sides after 3 songs or so?

Why are manufactures doing this injustice. :scratch2:

Ron

If you've heard them, you'll see why. Listening to the Santana Abraxas box is almost an event itself. It's worth it to me, not on every single thing of course, but for your favorite albums? 45 RPMs just sound amazing.

- Buck

Poppyhome 10-19-2018 12:54 PM

Well I for one hate getting up and changing the sides 4 times when listening to an album.

Maybe someday.....................they will make a one sided vinyl album that sounds great. :banana:

Ron

urei 12-19-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 936307)

For Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood the Analogue Productions/Quality Records pressing on 45rpm is very good.....:thumbsup:

CRJCapt 12-20-2019 01:52 AM

As soon as word gets out this album will be untouchable on the secondary market.

The good news is most audiophiles aren’t much into music so you can still get it.

This album crushes and makes digital sound like the elevator format it is. This

urei 01-01-2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crjcapt (Post 989544)
this album crushes and makes digital sound like the elevator format it is. This

+1 :yes:

miner 01-04-2020 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 934077)
These UD One-Steps have gone from $99 to $125! I'll pass on this one.

I went ahead and bought to add to my set, only missing the Santana Abraxas (the one I should have bought initially). All still sealed except for The Nightfly.

shindo 03-02-2020 12:52 PM

I just picked up the Yes Fragile direct to disc. Haven’t broken the seal yet .

For The Love of Music 03-03-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shindo (Post 996941)
I just picked up the Yes Fragile direct to disc. Haven’t broken the seal yet .

Break it, great sounding album!

streetspirit 03-03-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 991293)
I went ahead and bought to add to my set, only missing the Santana Abraxas (the one I should have bought initially). All still sealed except for The Nightfly.

I have the whole set including Abraxas...

Anyone visiting masterlu in Cape Cod is welcome to hear these LPs in person! I’m just down the street from Ivan.

Mitch

Formerly YB-2 03-04-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetspirit (Post 997046)
I have the whole set including Abraxas...

Anyone visiting masterlu in Cape Cod is welcome to hear these LPs in person! I’m just down the street from Ivan.

Mitch

So Ivan has moved to Austin?

streetspirit 03-04-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 997154)
So Ivan has moved to Austin?

That’s what I get for using the app so much, I don’t see my info and sig! I’m in Cape Cod and will have to update that section. The offer though still stands for anyone visiting Ivan in Cape Cod wanting to hear these LPs!

Mitch

miner 03-07-2020 03:12 PM

Good for you Mitch jumping on the UD1S train early. I have plans to visit Ivan this fall.

streetspirit 03-07-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 997574)
Good for you Mitch jumping on the UD1S train early. I have plans to visit Ivan this fall.

Kevin, I just received Mingus Ah Um today!

Mitch

miner 03-09-2020 09:55 AM

I guess mine should be arriving soon - I had ordered it when announced.

streetspirit 03-09-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 997786)
I guess mine should be arriving soon - I had ordered it when announced.

How about Blood, Sweat and Tears? That is available for preorder but ELO Eldorado and Paul Simon Still Crazy... are both known, but not yet for preorder.

Mitch

miner 03-10-2020 08:53 AM

Thank you Mitch for the heads-up - I was not aware of those offerings.

miner 03-12-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetspirit (Post 997867)
How about Blood, Sweat and Tears? That is available for preorder but ELO Eldorado and Paul Simon Still Crazy... are both known, but not yet for preorder.

Mitch

None of these are showing up on the MoFi site.