AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=12463)

try1256 01-21-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 894134)
Who own's BAT these days? My understanding was that SBednarski, VKhomenko (the founders) & GPoor were the owners. During my last visit to BAT, about 2yr ago, Victor and Geoff both greeted me. However, recently read (on the internet, so must be true) that Jim Davis, owner of Music Direct & MoFi, is now the owner. Any truth to that?

Music Direct has an ownership stake but it appears the original principals still run the company. I have spoken to Steve and Victor recently. My BAT gear is some of the original designs but it is still rockin'.

chessman 02-03-2018 04:31 PM

Balanced Audio Technology

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 851407)
It is hard for me to believe that I started this thread 5 and a half years ago. It is even harder for me to believe that I still have the BAT/Wilson Audio pairing as the core of my system, since I am afflicted with severe and continuous "upgradeitis." To me, that is the ultimate testimonial to the magic of this pairing. :banana:

Now at 6 years and still thrilled with the magic. I fired up a favorites list the other night and listened for three hours straight with a grin on my face. :)

PHC1 02-03-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 897011)
Now at 6 years and still thrilled with the magic. I fired up a favorites list the other night and listened for three hours straight with a grin on my face. :)

That can only mean one thing Randy. A well put together system for your ears. That’s what it’s all about! Enjoy! :music:

chessman 02-03-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 897013)
That can only mean one thing Randy. A well put together system for your ears. That’s what it’s all about! Enjoy! :music:

Thanks, Serge. :)

try1256 02-03-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 897011)

I haven't had my BAT gear as long as you have Randy, but I suspect it will be with me for the long haul. It provides me with enormous listening satisfaction. What more could I ask for.

Tim

johndoe21ro 02-13-2018 01:38 AM

Oh yeaahhh! :D
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

pbgalvin 10-04-2018 12:47 PM

Hey there, new member, considering buying at BAT preamp. But BAT model numbering has me confused. Doesn't seem like for example, the larger the number the "better" the preamp. Is there a way to make heads or tails of it? For example I see a used VK-20 and VK-50. Is the 50 "better" than 20? Thanks!

Formerly YB-2 10-04-2018 09:12 PM

Yes, you are correct. The BK-20 was their first preamp in the 20-series and the VK-50 the first in the 50 series. The higher the number the more bells & whistles, though not, IMHO, necessarily better preamp. I've always preferred their VK-31 standard (not SE) to their more expensive models as I prefer the 6922 to the 6H30 tube. They are up to the 23 & 53 series at the moment. Plus their uber-nice Rex series.

Masterlu 10-04-2018 10:59 PM

pbgalvin... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Soundmig 10-05-2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbgalvin (Post 934290)
Hey there, new member, considering buying at BAT preamp. But BAT model numbering has me confused. Doesn't seem like for example, the larger the number the "better" the preamp. Is there a way to make heads or tails of it? For example I see a used VK-20 and VK-50. Is the 50 "better" than 20? Thanks!

Formerly YB-2 has it right. I was (years ago) a BAT dealer and had both a VK-50SE and a VK-20 on display. I can tell you that the VK-20 is one heck of a good pre-amp even though its the lower end of the line. I even sold one to a brass player from the San Francisco Symphony - and he loved it. There were some things that I liked better about the BAT SS sound vs the BAT tube sound. I'll leave it at that, but you won't go wrong with a BAT pre-amp.