AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3 D Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=6637)

1KW 01-06-2011 08:49 AM

3 D Audio

Here is some interesting work being done at Princeton. Click the video for better understanding on how a crosstalk filter can improve stereo imaging
3D3A Lab at Princeton University

1KW 01-06-2011 11:01 AM

I am going to his lab today for a demonstration.

jdandy 01-06-2011 01:23 PM

David.......Very interesting. As stated, "using technology to mimic nature" is an exciting concept. It reminds me of Bob Carver's work with his preamplifiers where he employed his Sonic Holography circuits. His Sonic Holography concept was based on inter-aural crosstalk cancellation. Harry Pearson, The Absolute Sound founder and chairman, wrote a series of articles in the 70's on generating a sound stage with a stereo system, stating what you want is a sense of layered depth on a sound stage that extends behind the speakers and is wider than the speakers. His writings were a large influence on Bob's approach to designing Sonic Holography. Bob Carver's Sonic Holography designs date back to the early 1980's.

schaefer11 01-06-2011 01:44 PM

Had an add on device that performed the same function as sonic holography back in the early 80's. It worked as advertised, but only in the sweet spot. It was the victim of one of my many attempts at "simplifying" my setup. Polk also used the concept in his line of SDA speakers.

If they come up with a way of making it work over a wide listening area, that would be very interesting.

schaefer11 01-06-2011 02:07 PM

I watched the video, and although I do not want to minimize the work being done, as with many things in audio, this is not really new work.

Knowledge of inter-aural crosstalk, binaural recordings and such have been around since almost the beginning of recorded sound. The technology just advances to the point where more and better work can be done, and a whole new generation "discovers" what Rice, Kellogg and others knew in the 1930's, 40's and 50's.

Having a father who is experiencing hearing loss, I am becoming aware that the ability to correct for these problems digitally in hearing aids will be a big benefit to more people than the benefit to audiophiles.

JemHadar 01-06-2011 03:21 PM

good find...THX for sharing

Face 01-06-2011 03:34 PM

Here's another method that has been around for a while. http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/w...WhitePaper.pdf

I could never get it to sound right in my listening rooms, but have heard it elsewhere and it was impressive.

1KW 01-06-2011 09:24 PM

In a word simply amazing. First of all Professor Choueiri is a real life genius but as down to earth and friendly and easy to understand as you would want. My visit lasted about 2 hours and I am hungry for more. Imagine how in 3 D movies objects move around and come to you. Well imagine the same thing with audio, it is a bit crazy. I will sit down a try and write about the experience over the weekend, I am still absorbing the whole thing from the tour of the jet propulsion lab to the anechoic chamber room and being taken back to his home to hear his amazing analog and digital set up. Much more to come, but I have never heard anything like this in my life and trust me I am not exaggerating. This is going to change everything. The MEN220 is a joke next to this.

j5652c 01-08-2011 01:27 PM

prineton 3D3A

Hi KW1

thanks for visiting and auditioning Dr. Choueiri's work.It is indeed ground breaking and indeed real science.
You are correct in stating that it will change everything.

1KW 01-08-2011 10:27 PM

Hi john,

Welcome to AA :D

I think due to all the excitement about the new gear coming out of CES this thread is getting buried. Click new posts at the top of the screen John and you will see what I mean.