AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Revel Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Performa F208 and Salon2 Compared (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36069)

Pampero 06-13-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete6737 (Post 785513)
Looking good!

Thanks Pete. They are splendid. When they're on the boil, the soundstage is wall to wall and you don't localize to a speaker. The F208s were good at that as well, but this is another area where the Salons excel.

I'm going to spike them into the location I have them in. I'm good with the balance as it is now.

Pampero 06-13-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 785518)
Lew.......The new Revel Salon 2's look fabulous. They are a fine speaker. Might be time to consider MC601's. :naughty:

It could happen, but I'll have to sneak the money out the same way Tim Robbins distributed the tailings from his wall in the yard in Shawshank Redemption. A little at a time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdo (Post 785537)
Fantastic Lew ! Salon2 are on my short list to replace my current speakers. Should have a listen this weekend.
Enjoy !

Wish you were closer. I'd be happy to audition them here!

mtroo 06-13-2016 09:37 PM

Lew
I hear June is stillpoints month on AA. I hear some ultra 5's calling.

Rod#S 06-14-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 785281)
My dealer just told me my order is in for Mahogany Salon 2's and a Voice 2 CC. I thought he was waiting for my money but apparently he knows me well enough that once they arrive I'd have my checkbook ready!

Wow, you didn't keep the Bryston's long. What prompted the upgrade? You even opted for the custom rosewood finish on them :D

I suspect the Bryston's are good value in their dollar range but probably can't run with the big boys :) where everything is built from the ground up not simply developing drivers and possibly crossovers???? for a pre existing cabinet from another manufacturer.

My dealer recently picked up the Revel line, hopefully one day he will get the Salon2's so I can see and hear what all the fuss is about :) Even getting in the Studio2 I suspect would portray a good sense of what the Salon2's can do. He's got either the F206's or 208's in now. I really like the wood veneer finish on those.

pete6737 06-14-2016 01:12 PM

When I was in the market to replace my 15 year B&W 803Matrix speakers, I looked at the then new Brystons but opted for Salk SS8 custom made. I went to my local Audio Research dealer to upgrade my aging electronic gear to mate to my new Salk speakers. The audio Research gear was mated to the Salon2s in the showroom. It was instant love. I bought the ARC Ref5se preamp and matching amp but I could not replicate what I heard in the showroom with the Salons. So I bought the Salon2s and it was an excellent match. It took a while to piece these together but it was worth it. I'll keep my salon2s for a long time! Good choice!

scirica 06-14-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 785536)
Congrats! I knew you would finally get a pair. You're going to love them. Best, Ken

Yes, I should have bought a perfect used pair some time ago. :wink:

mtroo 06-14-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 785646)
Yes, I should have bought a perfect used pair some time ago. :wink:

Speaking of, I love these speakers. Thanks, Ken. :banana:

scirica 06-14-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod#S (Post 785633)
Wow, you didn't keep the Bryston's long. What prompted the upgrade? You even opted for the custom rosewood finish on them :D I suspect the Bryston's are good value in their dollar range but probably can't run with the big boys :) where everything is built from the ground up not simply developing drivers and possibly crossovers???? for a pre existing cabinet from another manufacturer. My dealer recently picked up the Revel line, hopefully one day he will get the Salon2's so I can see and hear what all the fuss is about :) Even getting in the Studio2 I suspect would portray a good sense of what the Salon2's can do. He's got either the F206's or 208's in now. I really like the wood veneer finish on those.

Rod:

I absolutely love my Bryston Model T's in Brazilian Rosewood! But as you guessed, this is a value play and now I'm moving up the food chain so to speak. I like the Brystons well enough to be scared that I won't experience the same liquid midrange and deep bass extension with the Salon 2's. Chances are I will love them in my room, but that's just to let everyone know that it's not a knock on the Bryston speakers. My expectations of the Salon 2's, at a multiple of the price of the Model T, SHOULD be noticeably better. I am sure this will be the case based on my extended listening at a friend's house (who happens to be the regional distributor for Revel speakers.

Wish me luck!

ajdo 06-14-2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 785679)
Rod:

I absolutely love my Bryston Model T's in Brazilian Rosewood! But as you guessed, this is a value play and now I'm moving up the food chain so to speak. I like the Brystons well enough to be scared that I won't experience the same liquid midrange and deep bass extension with the Salon 2's. Chances are I will love them in my room, but that's just to let everyone know that it's not a knock on the Bryston speakers. My expectations of the Salon 2's, at a multiple of the price of the Model T, SHOULD be noticeably better. I am sure this will be the case based on my extended listening at a friend's house (who happens to be the regional distributor for Revel speakers.

Wish me luck!

Steve : I think I read something on AA rules that goes like this: "My friends are your friends and vise versa :D

pete6737 06-14-2016 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampero (Post 785552)
Thanks Pete. They are splendid. When they're on the boil, the soundstage is wall to wall and you don't localize to a speaker. The F208s were good at that as well, but this is another area where the Salons excel. I'm going to spike them into the location I have them in. I'm good with the balance as it is now.

I waited months before spiking them. What a mistake! The sound improved so much I kicked myself for not doing it sooner! There's something to be said about decoupling the speaker from the room, especially since the Salon2s have a downward firing port.