AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Guarneri Evolution vs. Olympica II (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=27688)

Bavarian05 07-26-2014 05:08 PM

Guarneri Evolution vs. Olympica II

I am considering moving from the Olympica II to the Guarneri Evolutions w/stands and may end up buying them without a chance to hear them first.
Does anyone here have experience with both lines and have any useful feedback or opinions? I was hoping to hear from Metaphacts on this too as he is so well versed on the Sonus Faber sound. Any generalizations or opinions are appreciated. The Guarneri Evo is quite a step up in price and wondering how much better or different they are.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

cmalak 07-26-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian05 (Post 626195)
I am considering moving from the Olympica II to the Guarneri Evolutions w/stands and may end up buying them without a chance to hear them first. Does anyone here have experience with both lines and have any useful feedback or opinions? I was hoping to hear from Metaphacts on this too as he is so well versed on the Sonus Faber sound. Any generalizations or opinions are appreciated. The Guarneri Evo is quite a step up in price and wondering how much better or different they are. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Hi there. Are you finding Olympica II is overloading your listening room? Just wandering why you're going from floor stander to a monitor? Obviously as you say, there is a considerable step up in price and hopefully also a step up in SQ but my question is will you be taking a step down in low frequency attraction?

Bavarian05 07-26-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 626203)
Hi there. Are you finding Olympica II is overloading your listening room? Just wandering why you're going from floor stander to a monitor? Obviously as you say, there is a considerable step up in price and hopefully also a step up in SQ but my question is will you be taking a step down in low frequency attraction?

Exactly. My room is small and awkwardly shaped. The floor stander seems to be just a little big for my room.
The EVO is rated to deliver the same range from 40 Hz to 30 KHz. I have had good experiences with two ways in the past, though always felt they were missing a little oomph. This one seems to offer a good lower end...? I hope. ;-)

Bavarian05 07-26-2014 08:27 PM

Cmalak,

Have you heard the EVOs? I am looking for some feedback on them.
The reviews are great and they are stunningly beautiful IMHO (especially in Walnut).

1KW 07-26-2014 10:29 PM

While I have not heard either of the speakers you are talking about (which might mean I should not comment) but... I can say that the Guarneri Memento that I have with 2 subs sounds fantastic and the Evo is a newer model of the GM, I doubt you will be disappointed. I have also had the SF Cremona and the GM sound better. On the other hand I think the SF Elipsa which I have sounds the best out of the bunch. You might want to look at the SF Elipsa which is less money than the GE .

rscotth 07-26-2014 10:33 PM

IMHO evo's need a pair of subs. They do 40Hz very well, but I think you'll be wanting those lower octaves.

cmalak 07-27-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian05 (Post 626221)
Cmalak,

Have you heard the EVOs? I am looking for some feedback on them.
The reviews are great and they are stunningly beautiful IMHO (especially in Walnut).

Sorry...I have not :dunno:

lordemsworth 07-27-2014 01:06 PM

Bavarian05 - any reason you want to move up? Anything the Olympicas are not doing?

I would imagine they make a beautiful sound.

Masterlu 07-27-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordemsworth (Post 626376)
Bavarian05 - any reason you want to move up? Anything the Olympicas are not doing?

I would imagine they make a beautiful sound.

The same reason we all want to move up. :D

http://deadshirt.net/wp-content/uplo...holy-grail.jpg

Bavarian05 07-27-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordemsworth (Post 626376)
Bavarian05 - any reason you want to move up? Anything the Olympicas are not doing? I would imagine they make a beautiful sound.

They are beautiful and sound wonderful. Though I tend to be restless and always trying new stuff. ;-) The floor stander is a tiny bit big for my room. I have always loved the pin point imaging that quality stand mounts can provide and have had good experience with monitors in the past in my room. My room is relatively small and awkward. I have an opportunity to grab some new Guarneri EVOs so I thought I would give it a shot. My system as it stands now is all balanced and has a lot of gain. The EVOs are less sensitive so I figure they may sound better with my current set up... We'll see...