AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Lumin U1 + MQA (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=40412)

audioguru 09-01-2017 12:19 PM

Lumin U1 + MQA

Question for all those who are familiar with Lumin players and MQA:

I own the Lumin U1 and am outputting the digital signal to my Mcintosh D1100 DAC. When I stream MQA files my D1100 display shows a sample rate of only 48Khz. Shouldn't I be getting the maximum available sample rate of 96Khz for the first unfold of the MQA software decoding from my Lumin player?

Thanks!

Higgens 09-01-2017 12:30 PM

Andrew - are you using the USB output or one of the other outputs?

audioguru 09-01-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgens (Post 864851)
Andrew - are you using the USB output or one of the other outputs?

I'm using the AES/EBU output...

Higgens 09-01-2017 03:06 PM

If it's not too difficult to swap cables, I would try the usb connection to see if it makes a difference. Lumin's USB connection offers the highest speed potential.

audio bill 09-01-2017 03:11 PM

I believe that MQA Core decoding capability for the Lumin U1 is only currently available when running their Beta firmware. Once verification testing is completed that functionality should be rolled into an official firmware update, and once you have it you should then see the higher sampling rates you're expecting from MQA Core decoding.

JMD 09-01-2017 03:14 PM

Not all MQA unfolds are 96 khz. The older the title is the more likely it is that 48 khz will be the max. The original source is the determining factor. Even using the D1 which does the complete unfold there are many titles that max out at 48 khz.

audioguru 09-01-2017 04:04 PM

Thanks all for your help. It looks like MQA decoding is not yet available on the Lumin U1. That would explain why no matter which Tidal Masters MQA album I stream, I only can get 48Khz. The good news is that there appears to be a beta version of firmware in circulation for the U1 that will solve this...now if only I could get my hands on it! I'm happy to help test it out the beta firmware for U1 if anyone on this forum can provide it...

JMD 09-01-2017 04:59 PM

PM Peter (wklie) and he can point you to it.

wklie 09-03-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguru (Post 864850)
I own the Lumin U1 and am outputting the digital signal to my Mcintosh D1100 DAC. When I stream MQA files my D1100 display shows a sample rate of only 48Khz. Shouldn't I be getting the maximum available sample rate of 96Khz for the first unfold of the MQA software decoding from my Lumin player?

You're correct about the MQA Core decoding behavior of Lumin U1 - This functionality is currently in beta stage.

I have received your message but I think I do not have the access right to send or reply message here. May I ask you to create an account in another forum where you'll find Lumin and my presence? We can discuss there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

audioguru 09-11-2017 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A good news update:

I was able to obtain the beta firmware that supports MQA functionality for the U1. The firmware installation process went very smoothly, and I am now able to stream Tidal Hifi Masters album in their full sonic glory (up to the limits of the 96khz sampling rate for my Mac D1100 DAC). The sound quality is fantastic! From a sonic perspective, the improved dynamic range, breadth of the sound-stage, and overall transparency reminds me very much of my old DVD-Audio discs. Thanks to the Lumin team for their great work so far on this beta firmware upgrade. :thumbsup: