AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   VPI Industries (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Deciding between New and Old New Classic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=36788)

ms98 08-17-2016 12:05 AM

Deciding between New and Old New Classic

Hi,

New to the forum and brand but am set that my first TT will be a classic. I saw online a "Old New Stock" unit that was $500 less than a new Classic and was wondering if it was worth buying it. Based on my conversation with their audio advisor, the differences are the arm, uses a wall wart instead of a straight IEC cord and a motor with an SDS chip which will not work with the phoenix power supply. Cosmetically the corners are round instead of straight. Everything else is the same. The model is a few years old. Should I settle for this or just get the latest Classic? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Cris

DonBattles 08-17-2016 01:03 AM

Think of it like this, you could put the $500 towards a cartridge upgrade. I feel this would yield the best bang for the dollar when compared to the minor differences between the two different productions Classic's.

Formerly YB-2 08-17-2016 06:48 AM

Don't recall a Classic model that has rounded corners. Think ahead. There are several levels of upgrades available for all but the top VPI models. Will the new model have some features that you will not need/want to upgrade in the future while the 'new old stock' model does not? As mentioned, the $500 additional towards a better cartridge, phono IC, preamp or LPs is something else to consider. Assume that both will have the complete packaging & materials as well as a full factory warranty? All Classic models have a good TA, so that $500 towards a better cartridge & IC could be the way to go.

John Jordan 08-17-2016 09:11 AM

I have had the model you described as "Old Stock" for almost three years. Very happy with it.

There is a discussion on VPI's forum about this model. Matt had said it was to provide a piece of the SDS built into the T/T as they were considering discontinuing the SDS. I have been told by various folks the SDS is not necessary with this model. This might be a positive for you.

I also recall reading that VPI will swap out the motor for one that is compatible with the SDS if

1. the T/T is still under warranty
2. the owner buys the SDS new from an authorized dealer.

VPI recently introduced a replacement for the SDS. Their customer service is excellent give a call and have them weigh in as well then decide the option best for you.

And yes, $500 can buy some more cartridge &/or LP's.

dolsey01 08-17-2016 10:20 AM

You might consider the Certified Pre-Owned Prime that SoundStageDirect has available. I believe they offer a two year warranty on their CPO VPI tables and my experience has been very positive, I've bought two CPO tables from them.

I just sold my Classic and upgraded to the Prime. I've very pleased with the difference.

scirica 08-17-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolsey01 (Post 798435)
You might consider the Certified Pre-Owned Prime that SoundStageDirect has available. I believe they offer a two year warranty on their CPO VPI tables and my experience has been very positive, I've bought two CPO tables from them.

I just sold my Classic and upgraded to the Prime. I've very pleased with the difference.

Hey Dolsey:

Given I'm in the middle of the "buy a Classic Signature now or wait until Prime Signature comes out" decision cycle, could you describe your sense of the differences between your Classic and Prime? I realize all TT's are room and system dependent, but I think it would still be helpful for those of us considering both.

Thanks,

Steve

Maks 08-17-2016 11:57 AM

The Classic 2/3 hybrid I have is one of those "older" models, it's actually not a wall wart power supply, more like a laptop PSU, but yes it's not a 120V motor like the newest one. The advantage as mentioned is that it basically has an SDS built into the turntable for excellent speed stability which I would consider a bonus over the latest production model. You can put the savings toward a cart or 3D arm.

ms98 08-17-2016 06:36 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. Will decide soon on how to proceed.

Maks 08-17-2016 10:43 PM

Let us know which direction you go, ms98. At the end of the day a turntable merely spins a platter that rotates a piece of vinyl made with 60+ year old technology.

audio bill 08-18-2016 09:14 AM

Maks - Your assessment is true, but when you listen to different tables they make a huge impact on the quality of sound produced. Also while it is "old" technology other than reel to reel tape it is arguably capable of generating the finest sound currently available! (Not looking for an argument!)