AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Lamm (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Venerable Lamm L2 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22261)

thesaint519 07-26-2013 10:12 PM

The Venerable Lamm L2

I'm close...

http://images.audioasylum.com/usr/y2...4/IMG_2930.JPG

Lamm L2 Soundstage Review - Courtesy of Marc Mickelson:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/lamm_l2.htm

thesaint519 07-11-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 516157)

It's FINALLY on its way!! WHOOOO - HOOOOO!! :banana::banana::banana:

analog brother 07-12-2014 07:59 PM

nice!
please keep us updated.
always admired this unit.

thesaint519 07-13-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog brother (Post 623095)
nice! please keep us updated. always admired this unit.

I absolutely will. Thx. :)

Whart 07-17-2014 07:29 AM

You have been waiting to get this unit for quite a while. Did you buy a new one? As you know, I ran one for a number of years, with ML2s (which I still have). The midrange is pretty much as good as it gets, and what's amazing is, it is really a solid state preamp (albeit with a tube regulated and rectified power supply). Obviously, you'll experiment with it to learn its inner secrets once you get it in place, but I'll offer:
1. Keep the power supply on all the time; if you power that down, it takes a long, long time for it to come back to its best performance; I think Vlad also recommends this because it is less stressful on the power supply tubes, which must be replaced every year. You can't cheat on that, because you will be robbing yourself of the joy of what this unit can deliver.
2. I assume you already have a good meter- Vlad recommends the Fluke. You'll need that to bias the power supply- not something you have to do frequently, just when you replace the tubes in the power supply.
3. Experiment with isolation and damping of the cabinets, particularly the active circuit box; I wound up using HRS dampers on the top unit, although you'll see they are tricky to place without blocking the air vents on the unit.
4. Don't stack the units- obvious, I guess. I think Syntax, who posts here now, has an L2 as well.
5. Introduce yourself to the Lamms, even if you bought from a dealer, the dealer will ultimately rely on the factory in Brooklyn. They are nice people, and if you have questions, they are helpful.
6. If you bought a used unit, have Lamm go over it for you- he's done that with all of my Lamm gear periodically. And doesn't charge a fortune to make sure it is up to spec. (For example, my L2 was an older unit and he upgraded the switches, replaced some caps, etc. to get it to current spec).
7. Aftermarket power cable- I used K-S, which Vlad was using for a long time, but there may be other cables that are well suited for the unit.
8. ENJOY~
PS: you will hear a difference using the 'direct' out. I also ran XLR.

thesaint519 07-17-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whart (Post 624058)
You have been waiting to get this unit for quite a while. Did you buy a new one? As you know, I ran one for a number of years, with ML2s (which I still have). The midrange is pretty much as good as it gets, and what's amazing is, it is really a solid state preamp (albeit with a tube regulated and rectified power supply). Obviously, you'll experiment with it to learn its inner secrets once you get it in place, but I'll offer: 1. Keep the power supply on all the time; if you power that down, it takes a long, long time for it to come back to its best performance; I think Vlad also recommends this because it is less stressful on the power supply tubes, which must be replaced every year. You can't cheat on that, because you will be robbing yourself of the joy of what this unit can deliver. 2. I assume you already have a good meter- Vlad recommends the Fluke. You'll need that to bias the power supply- not something you have to do frequently, just when you replace the tubes in the power supply. 3. Experiment with isolation and damping of the cabinets, particularly the active circuit box; I wound up using HRS dampers on the top unit, although you'll see they are tricky to place without blocking the air vents on the unit. 4. Don't stack the units- obvious, I guess. I think Syntax, who posts here now, has an L2 as well. 5. Introduce yourself to the Lamms, even if you bought from a dealer, the dealer will ultimately rely on the factory in Brooklyn. They are nice people, and if you have questions, they are helpful. 6. If you bought a used unit, have Lamm go over it for you- he's done that with all of my Lamm gear periodically. And doesn't charge a fortune to make sure it is up to spec. (For example, my L2 was an older unit and he upgraded the switches, replaced some caps, etc. to get it to current spec). 7. Aftermarket power cable- I used K-S, which Vlad was using for a long time, but there may be other cables that are well suited for the unit. 8. ENJOY~ PS: you will hear a difference using the 'direct' out. I also ran XLR.

Yes, I have been waiting for some time. And every time I had the funds to pull the trigger, some annoying unforeseen circumstance would come along and eat it. But the wait is over. Thanks for the excellent advice. :)

thesaint519 07-19-2014 12:16 AM

The wait is finally OVER!! The L2 arrived today. And although I couldn't listen for long, what I did hear was epic. Transparent Audio Ref XL RCA ICs, courtesy of Tom King at Definitive Audio in Wash., connected the L2 to the dCS Purcell/ Delius stack. In a word, WHOAAA!!

Jerome W 07-19-2014 03:57 AM

Superb preamplifier.

I have always been very curious about Lamm products.
Enjoy in great health for many years to come !

thesaint519 07-19-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 624461)
Superb preamplifier. I have always been very curious about Lamm products. Enjoy in great health for many years to come !

Jerome W,

I appreciate the kind words, truly. I've completed the path to the dark side, and my system is complete. I'd like to swap some components around - dacs, media server - but for all intents and purposes, I won't have to buy any more components. Now l simply get to listen without fear that I may be missing something. WHOOOO - HOOOOO!!

Jerome W 07-19-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519

Jerome W,

I appreciate the kind words, truly. I've completed the path to the dark side, and my system is complete. I'd like to swap some components around - dacs, media server - but for all intents and purposes, I won't have to buy any more components. Now l simply get to listen without fear that I may be missing something. WHOOOO - HOOOOO!!

This is imho the best reward of our time and energy in this hobby. To get to the point or at least to get the deep feeling, that we do not need anything more.
With such a preamp, clearly you can forget the word preamplifier. You will probably never need it to think about an other one.

thesaint519 07-20-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome W (Post 624549)
This is imho the best reward of our time and energy in this hobby. To get to the point or at least to get the deep feeling, that we do not need anything more. With such a preamp, clearly you can forget the word preamplifier. You will probably never need it to think about an other one.

Agreed! :) And thankfully I can say the same for the Lamm M1.2 monos & the Transparent Ref Cabling.

analog brother 07-20-2014 09:47 AM

congratulations and enjoy!!!
are the volume controls stepped like the old ones, or continuous movement?

Whart 07-20-2014 12:57 PM

As far as I know, the piece still has a stepped control, but perhaps Lamm changed his supplier for it over the years; I do know that he upgraded the switches at one point because I had mine brought up to current spec a couple years ago (since sold it). I don't think you'd know unless you asked Vlad or compared units. Lamm does have a pretty detailed website for each product, but usually only notes changes that are indicated by a "." version, not running upgrades. FWIW, his description currently on the site says: "unique TKD stepped potentiometers (41 detents)...".
Saint- if you are basing your judgement on a quick listen after unpacking, give it a few days to warm up. I found that it opens up considerably once it has been on for a while. (I only shut mine down during electrical storms and when changing the PS tubes).
Enjoy~
PS: in my earlier post i referred to 'direct' outputs; those are actually inputs, as you can see from the back panel and bypass some of the circuitry. Made a big difference in sound.

thesaint519 07-20-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whart (Post 624801)
As far as I know, the piece still has a stepped control, but perhaps Lamm changed his supplier for it over the years; I do know that he upgraded the switches at one point because I had mine brought up to current spec a couple years ago (since sold it). I don't think you'd know unless you asked Vlad or compared units. Lamm does have a pretty detailed website for each product, but usually only notes changes that are indicated by a "." version, not running upgrades. FWIW, his description currently on the site says: "unique TKD stepped potentiometers (41 detents)...".
Saint- if you are basing your judgement on a quick listen after unpacking, give it a few days to warm up. I found that it opens up considerably once it has been on for a while. (I only shut mine down during electrical storms and when changing the PS tubes).
Enjoy~
PS: in my earlier post i referred to 'direct' outputs; those are actually inputs, as you can see from the back panel and bypass some of the circuitry. Made a big difference in sound.

I'll reach out to Vlad. I did intend to get it over to him for a complete check up. Thanks for all the GREAT info. :)

Whart 07-20-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 624859)
I'll reach out to Vlad. I did intend to get it over to him for a complete check up. Thanks for all the GREAT info. :)

You are welcome. At a minimum, get new tubes into the PS, if you aren't planning on dragging the unit to Brooklyn in the near future, unless you know for a certainty that they have been changed out very recently. They normally have to be replaced every year. You can order them directly from Lamm; I don't bother trying to source tubes for any of his gear from third party sources, apart from the 12ax7 in my amps- there i use NOS ribbed Teles, but that's another issue.

analog brother 07-22-2014 05:07 AM

NOS telefunken any good?

thesaint519 07-22-2014 11:48 PM

Spent the evening in a mind blowing menage a trios. Me, the Lamm M1.2s and the Lamm L2. It'll be a night I won't soon forget. Whew!!

sidvee 07-23-2014 01:03 AM

Nice reading about the L2 thesaint519. I have a LL2.1 deluxe and aspire to own the L2, hopefully sometime in the near future.
Cheers,
Sid

thesaint519 07-23-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidvee (Post 625376)
Nice reading about the L2 thesaint519. I have a LL2.1 deluxe and aspire to own the L2, hopefully sometime in the near future. Cheers, Sid

Sidvee, I've never owned the LL2.1, but have only heard exemplary things about it. The L2 in my system is EPIC! You never know what you're missing until it hits you in the face. And I was completely missing out - on musical emotion, information, and missing out on what my system could really do. Now I know. :)

analog brother 07-25-2014 10:13 AM

sounds awesome!

thesaint519 08-26-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog brother (Post 625911)
sounds awesome!

It truly is. I never thought my system could sound as good as it does now. Since beginning my audio journey, I've always chased the ever elusive notion of audio perfection. I've come to realize that this notion of perfection changes as our tastes change, therefore making it impossible to achieve. However, based on my current definition or understanding of audio perfection, I'm confident that I'm, at least, in the same arena. I no longer have to chase gear, I can chase the music I love. There are a few things I'd like to add/change to complete the system, but I can honestly say - for the very first time in my audio evolution - that I am satisfied.

Future plans:
Update the Meitner MA-1 with the latest firmware
Purchase SRA Ohio Class IsoBases for all my equipment
Purchase an SRA Scuttle 3 audio rack
Update all my TA Ref cables to XLMM2
Purchase TA Ref power cords for all my gear
Purchase TA Ref digital coax
Maybe upgrade the Sasha's to Alexias.

thesaint519 10-02-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog brother (Post 624751)
congratulations and enjoy!!! are the volume controls stepped like the old ones, or continuous movement?

Sorry for the late response. Stepped.

thesaint519 10-19-2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint519 (Post 633882)
It truly is. I never thought my system could sound as good as it does now. Since beginning my audio journey, I've always chased the ever elusive notion of audio perfection. I've come to realize that this notion of perfection changes as our tastes change, therefore making it impossible to achieve. However, based on my current definition or understanding of audio perfection, I'm confident that I'm, at least, in the same arena. I no longer have to chase gear, I can chase the music I love. There are a few things I'd like to add/change to complete the system, but I can honestly say - for the very first time in my audio evolution - that I am satisfied. Future plans: Update the Meitner MA-1 with the latest firmware Purchase SRA Ohio Class IsoBases for all my equipment Purchase an SRA Scuttle 3 audio rack Update all my TA Ref cables to XLMM2 Purchase TA Ref power cords for all my gear Purchase TA Ref digital coax Maybe upgrade the Sasha's to Alexias.

UPDATE ON "Future Plans":

Update the Meitner MA-1 with the latest firmware - CHECK
Purchase SRA Ohio Class IsoBases for all my equipment - PENDING
Purchase an SRA Scuttle 3 audio rack - CHECK
Update all my TA Ref cables to XLMM2 - CHECK
Purchase TA Ref power cords for all my gear - CHECK
Purchase TA Ref digital coax - PENDING
Maybe upgrade the Sasha's to Alexias. - PENDING