AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ayre (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   AX-5 Twenty (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41019)

GreginNH1 11-02-2017 06:07 PM

AX-5 Twenty

Has anyone auditioned this little beast? Looks awfully tempting!

ctsooner 11-02-2017 06:23 PM

Have owned it since the first updated ones. It's a beast. Best sounding integrated I've owned and the best I auditioned under 50k. The preamp is about as good as it gets in an integrated. Personally, I like it a bit better than going with the 5 series separates. Advantages to each, but it's dead quiet and sounds neither tube nor SS. Looks great in the cabinet and works perfectly with my QX5 too, lol.

What is the rest of your system that you will use it with? If it's teh one with the Esoteric DAC and teh N10, then you will really enjoy it I bet. My friend has had nearly every server in his system and I've had a bunch too. So far, nothing has beaten the N10 and that includes many of the esoteric computer based ones.

I use mine with Vandersteen Quatro CT's and it crushes it. Personally, in my room, that 27k duo beats anything else I've had in here up to 60k (both pieces). JMHO of course. Just gives you all the detail, attack and decay, tonality, pace rhythm and timing etc... Never etched, but as extended as you want. You can listen to Mingus on piano on a Sunday morning and never be fatigued. Even organ music or even electronic stuff that goes into the mid 20's will be full on in my room.

wawa_chan 11-02-2017 06:30 PM

Greg: I have a few times and it’s nice. However, I’d rather have any of the Accuphase integrated amps. Ymmv of course.

GreginNH1 11-02-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctsooner (Post 877074)
Have owned it since the first updated ones. It's a beast. Best sounding integrated I've owned and the best I auditioned under 50k. The preamp is about as good as it gets in an integrated. Personally, I like it a bit better than going with the 5 series separates. Advantages to each, but it's dead quiet and sounds neither tube nor SS. Looks great in the cabinet and works perfectly with my QX5 too, lol.

What is the rest of your system that you will use it with? If it's teh one with the Esoteric DAC and teh N10, then you will really enjoy it I bet. My friend has had nearly every server in his system and I've had a bunch too. So far, nothing has beaten the N10 and that includes many of the esoteric computer based ones.

I use mine with Vandersteen Quatro CT's and it crushes it. Personally, in my room, that 27k duo beats anything else I've had in here up to 60k (both pieces). JMHO of course. Just gives you all the detail, attack and decay, tonality, pace rhythm and timing etc... Never etched, but as extended as you want. You can listen to Mingus on piano on a Sunday morning and never be fatigued. Even organ music or even electronic stuff that goes into the mid 20's will be full on in my room.

It's going in my main rig. I am growing weary of the Accuphase. It will be interesting to see which one wins out.

ctsooner 11-02-2017 08:58 PM

Keep us posted of course.

gtl 11-04-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 877091)
It's going in my main rig. I am growing weary of the Accuphase. It will be interesting to see which one wins out.

I got the impression that the E600 was way better than the E470 and the Esoteric that you switched from. Is it a lack of power that you are noticing? I would take a serious look at the Gryphon Diablo 300 if I were in your position.

GreginNH1 11-04-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtl (Post 877368)
I got the impression that the E600 was way better than the E470 and the Esoteric that you switched from. Is it a lack of power that you are noticing? I would take a serious look at the Gryphon Diablo 300 if I were in your position.

The E-600 is way better than the E-470 and Esoteric. There is definitely no lack of power with this amp!

I was considering tubes but the Ayre AX-% Twenty really caught my attention and I have received many recommendations on this amp. I will give it a try.

I'm not sure I could live with the Diablo 300.. looking at getting lighter gear as I ease into old age! :D

essjay 11-04-2017 07:02 PM

I have 5 series separates and they never disappoint fwiw. If i was forced to downsize due to relocation or having kids, I would move to the Ayre integrated without blinking.

imprezap2 11-05-2017 03:26 AM

both good amps, more of a side step then gaining much in performance level, depends which amp has the better synergy with the rest of your system.

robd2 11-07-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 877071)
Has anyone auditioned this little beast? Looks awfully tempting!

Greg when are you going to move into "Separates"? It does clean things up even further.... :thumbsup: