AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dedicated Circuit, Circuits? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42339)

richardallred 03-01-2018 10:29 PM

Dedicated Circuit, Circuits?

I’m going to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my MC 2301 amps tomorrow, question is do I need one for each amp or just one?

Any other tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

R

PHC1 03-01-2018 10:54 PM

Not really needed for tube amps since they don't draw nearly as much current. If your MC2301s draw 3 amps each, I'd be surprised. Tube amps are voltage sources not current. Having dedicated circuits can be somewhat beneficial for unpolluted power but even that is debatable. Since you are going to do it anyways, might as well run 2 separate lines in case you get into monster SS amps later.

crwilli 03-01-2018 10:56 PM

The extra cost and work is minimal so I would suggest Yes.

richardallred 03-01-2018 11:05 PM

Thanks

vintage_tube 03-01-2018 11:05 PM

While the electrician is there, I'd suggest 2 lines -- giving you 4 outlets total for future use (maybe).

Make sure they are on same phase -- i.e., breaker 30 and 34 or 29 and 33 and no shared grounds/neutrals.

You can always upgrade the outlets to a PS Audio or something similar later.

https://i.imgur.com/aug5oKw.jpg

Best Sir,

Bob

richardallred 03-01-2018 11:07 PM

Thanks Bob, did you notice any improvement when you had your 2301s?

Cohibaman 03-01-2018 11:16 PM

Sage advice!

vintage_tube 03-01-2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardallred (Post 902780)
Thanks Bob, did you notice any improvement when you had your 2301s?

10-12-13 years ago, the idiot I hired for the one outlet miswired it -- using both phases and splitting it at the outlet -- 120v to the top outlet and 120v to the bottom.

I didn't notice it until the MC2301's were gone and I was prepping for a 2d line -- 4 outlets total (to handle everything -- Dan D'Agostino amps/pre and sources).

Luckily I noticed it and had my competent, recommended word-of-mouth type licensed electrician fix the error(s). He is awesome and has done other work in the house for me years past. Like a plumber, a electrician is rarely used, but nice to have a good one to rely on.

My audio power feeds are now within code and proper.

So, I'll defer any benefit to someone else - but it's the way to go & a very smart move.

Best Richard & you shouldn't have any issues with a proficient, credentialed electrician.

Bob

richardallred 03-01-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintage_tube (Post 902784)
10-12-13 years ago, the idiot I hired for the one outlet miswired it -- using both phases and splitting it at the outlet -- 120v to the top outlet and 120v to the bottom.

I didn't notice it until the MC2301's were gone and I was prepping for a 2d line -- 4 outlets total (to handle everything -- Dan D'Agostino amps/pre and sources).

Luckily I noticed it and had my competent, recommended word-of-mouth type licensed electrician fix the error(s). He is awesome and has done other work in the house for me years past. Like a plumber, a electrician is rarely used, but nice to have a good one to rely on.

My audio power feeds are now within code and proper.

So, I'll defer any benefit to someone else - but it's the way to go & a very smart move.

Best Richard & you shouldn't have any issues with a proficient, credentialed electrician.

Bob

When I was in my early 20s I served a apprenticeship with the IBEW in Milwaukee and became a journeyman Electrician. Mostly as a industrial Electrician, motor controls etc. But I have also wired skyscrapers and office buildings, and even a few homes. When I moved to Dallas in 1984 I switched professions. So it’s been a while, but the electrician is me.

jdandy 03-02-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardallred (Post 902765)
I’m going to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit for my MC 2301 amps tomorrow, question is do I need one for each amp or just one?

Richard.......Your MC2301 power amplifiers at full rated output draw 5.5 Amps at 120 Volts. A 20 Amp dedicated circuit will be more than sufficient to power both MC2301's. Unless you are running your amps at full rated output with a continuous sine wave signal you will never see the amplifiers drawing anywhere near 5.5 Amps. Even at 300 watt peaks with music as a source, the peaks are so fleeting that you will not see the amps draw their rated current. A single 20 amp circuit will provide enough power to support the MC2301's, the C1100, D1100, N10, and the VK-P12SE phono stage preamp with power to spare. I assume you are powering your REL G2 subwoofers from their own circuit(s) since they are rated to draw 10 Amps at full rated output, and unlikely to ever actually happen in your home use.

The advice to run two dedicated circuits at the same time rather than a single dedicated circuit is good advice. The material cost doubles but the additional labor is minimal. Having more available power than you may need at this moment is always advantages.