AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New member (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=33899)

junker 05-03-2016 04:41 PM

I saw Ortofon write out the equation this way as well but the ":" should be a "➗" - the resonant frequency is INVERSELY proportional to the SQRT of mass x compliance.

Secondly, the published compliance for the Denon is at 100 Hz, not 10 Hz which adds some confusion. I'm not going to run the numbers in Excel but I'd recommend inserting 10 Hz for f and the total approximate compliance at 10 Hz (~8cu?) and your current total M and solve for f. 8-12 Hz would be ideal and you could rerun the equation but with M corrected for different headshell weights to hit that target value.

Ortofon publishes this graph which has a line @ 10cu compliance to give you a rough idea: (30 +/- 5g seems about right for 8uM/mN)

10.3 =1000/(2*PI*SQRT(8*30))

http://www.ortofon.com/media/14924/r...-frequency.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarkarch (Post 777678)
Hello there! First post here! I have a question regarding the resonance frequency of the tonearm + Denon DL103 Lignolab Bronze case.
Why, should the arm weighs 10-12gr? If the resonance frequency can be calculated by this equation: f = 1000 : (2 x π x √ (M x C)) where f = resonance frequency,
π = 3,14
M = Total tonearm system mass which is a sum of Mass of cartridge, Mass of headshell and screws and Effective mass of tone arm (all values in gram),
C = Cartridge compliance lateral in µm/mN
then with 12gr ... f=12,5hz i calculate the mass of the Lignalab denon combo at 20gr
But, if you use a 20gr tonearm... then f=11,25hz
I have a schroeder ref. arm too! Mine weighs at 12gr + 2,5gr the headshell. I wonder, if i go for the above combo should i go for a lighter or a heavier headshell? Ofcourse, a heavier counterweight is mandatory!

Spyros

zarkarch 05-04-2016 07:10 PM

Thank you, Junker! That make sense! The compliance of the cart is not 5cu but 8cu!:thankyouspin:

maril555 05-21-2016 05:09 PM

Since I've started this thread awhile ago, just wanted to update the status of my tonearm/cartridge/SUT situation.
I ended up with the following:
Kuzma 4 Point tonearm
Kiseki Purple Heart (new production)
Ypsilon MC10L SUT
Kiseki has 42 Ohm internal impedance and Ypsilon has around 40 Ohm primary and 1:10 step-up ratio, so it seems like a pretty good match.
Since Kiseki is a high compliance cart, 14 g. effective mass Kuzma 4 Point is a good match, as well.
Sound wise- I'd like to believe, that now I hear Shindo Vosne Romanee at it's full (or close to it) potential.
It sounds very dynamic, tonal balance is spot-on.
No hum whatsoever, and the gain structure seems to be close to optimal, with the volume knob mostly b/w 10-11 o'clock position.

fjn04 05-21-2016 07:40 PM

I bet this sounds wonderful. I have heard great things about the Kiseki and Ypsilon SUT. The Kuzma arms certainly have a well documented following. But more importantly, you have carefully matched the arm/cartridge, and SUT. Congrats, and please keep us posted. Maril 555- what table are you using?

maril555 05-22-2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjn04 (Post 781313)
I bet this sounds wonderful. I have heard great things about the Kiseki and Ypsilon SUT. The Kuzma arms certainly have a well documented following. But more importantly, you have carefully matched the arm/cartridge, and SUT. Congrats, and please keep us posted. Maril 555- what table are you using?

I'm using Galibier Gavia 1.5 table now
Shindo VR
Ypsilon MC10L
Lamm ML2
Avantgarde Duo Omega G2

I had Graham Phantom Supreme II before the 4 Point
The other arm I really want to ty is Reed 3P, in either 9.5, or 10.5 length to keep the effective mass b/w 14-17 gr.

querstrommotor 05-23-2016 09:30 AM

Dear maril555
I tested the Kiseki Purpleheart for a german hifi magazine (Iamge HiFi), and was impressed, as much, that I bought the cart after the review.
The cart has a compliance of 15cu - that means that a 12g arm is near the top of the range - so good, you did not bought the Reed - especially in 12" length - it is a fantastic arm, but it would drop the f/res in a range under 9hz.

The Kiseki needs a very precise alignment as do all carts with such a sharp needle (line contact in this case).
And it is not easy, because the needle is deep under the body....
Be careful with too much antiskating, it robs the dynamic of, and the cart do not need much.
Also the recommended tracking force of 2,46g is in my opinion too much, I use 2,3g and there is absolutely no mistracking - a touch of antiskating and a VTA, were the top of the body is parallel to the record - that is pretty much, what I think is very ggod.
It is an interesting mixture, the Kiseki has a lot of resolution, but without the typical HF rise, it has a nice microdynamic and also a lot of flow, which makes it ideal for all kinds of Jazz. The space is massive between the speakers, it is able to give a wide stage and also the front to back rendering is impressive.
Ir the cart lacks of microdynamic abilities, try to reduce VTF and also antiskating.
The needle should not deflect while you put it at the groove.

I use mine in a Schröder Reference SQ with a bamboo armtube, together with a pertinax headshell plate the cart sees 10g eff mass.
I use an Air Tight ATH2A sut with the 40 Ohm position it is a fantastic match, with a lot of gain.
So congratulations to you new cart and the new arm, the Galiber is a tremendous deck....!!!
Have a lot of listening pleasure
Ekki

maril555 05-23-2016 03:16 PM

Thank you Ekki,
Kiseki is a wonderful cart, and I agree with your observations.
I also track at 2.3 g, but will try less anti-skating, as you suggest
Best,
Maril555

Salectric 05-29-2016 07:59 AM

Maril555, I was interested to read that you have a Galibier. I also have a Galibier Gavia which I use with either Analog Instruments Siggwan or Triplanar VII arms. How do you like your table?

maril555 06-02-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salectric (Post 782662)
Maril555, I was interested to read that you have a Galibier. I also have a Galibier Gavia which I use with either Analog Instruments Siggwan or Triplanar VII arms. How do you like your table?

I like Galibier quite a bit. it is very well made, no nonsense, and great sounding table

maril555 06-02-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by querstrommotor (Post 781587)
Dear maril555
I tested the Kiseki Purpleheart for a german hifi magazine (Iamge HiFi), and was impressed, as much, that I bought the cart after the review.
The cart has a compliance of 15cu - that means that a 12g arm is near the top of the range - so good, you did not bought the Reed - especially in 12" length - it is a fantastic arm, but it would drop the f/res in a range under 9hz.

The Kiseki needs a very precise alignment as do all carts with such a sharp needle (line contact in this case).
And it is not easy, because the needle is deep under the body....
Be careful with too much antiskating, it robs the dynamic of, and the cart do not need much.
Also the recommended tracking force of 2,46g is in my opinion too much, I use 2,3g and there is absolutely no mistracking - a touch of antiskating and a VTA, were the top of the body is parallel to the record - that is pretty much, what I think is very ggod.
It is an interesting mixture, the Kiseki has a lot of resolution, but without the typical HF rise, it has a nice microdynamic and also a lot of flow, which makes it ideal for all kinds of Jazz. The space is massive between the speakers, it is able to give a wide stage and also the front to back rendering is impressive.
Ir the cart lacks of microdynamic abilities, try to reduce VTF and also antiskating.
The needle should not deflect while you put it at the groove.

I use mine in a Schröder Reference SQ with a bamboo armtube, together with a pertinax headshell plate the cart sees 10g eff mass.
I use an Air Tight ATH2A sut with the 40 Ohm position it is a fantastic match, with a lot of gain.
So congratulations to you new cart and the new arm, the Galiber is a tremendous deck....!!!
Have a lot of listening pleasure
Ekki

have a question:
If one wanted to compare two SUTs
One with 40 Ohm primary and 1:10 step up ratio, used with 40 Ohm internal impedance cart
Another one with 5 Ohm primary and, let's say 1:25 step up ratio, used with 5 Ohm internal impedance cart.
Would their respective output signal be approximately the same, connected to the same 47 KOhm MM phono stage?