AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   What powers your Dyns? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=11745)

Puma Cat 04-14-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 297453)
My poor, lonely Dynaudio C4's are without power. BUT, they are, as of today, able to look at the new home created in the Entertainment Center to house whatever electronics I end up choosing.
An absolutely expert craftsman, Greg ( a great friend of Buddy's), came over a few weeks ago and looked at the empty holes, studied my drawings and needs, and today installed the final project.
The 3/4" shelves are fully adjustable, 2 thermostacilly controlled fans in each cabinet drawing cool air in and exhausting warm air, multiple holes everywhere for running cable in an uncluttered pattern from the rear, sides and underneath. The adjustable tracks for the shelves are recessed into the wood and the back panel is removable if the need arises. Also, the fans are attached with wingnuts so I can undo them from the rear bathroom access and easily reach in for any special adjustments my equipment or wiring will need. There are also 3 holes in the back of each one of the 24" deep shelves. I will post more pictures as the project progresses.
Now, I just need to get some power and music to the Dyns.:scratch2:

C-J!

Puma Cat 04-14-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 296756)
Wow! Now that answer is worth the price of admission! Thank you.

It seems Naim does comes up frequently in conjunction with Dyns. Howard, RaceTripper and others have mentioned them. I noticed when I went solely with the NAD that I did not like the bass handling compared to using the B&K straight into the NAD as a pre/pro. Bass is tricky, of course, but the whole thing went from a realistic sounding double bass to mushy and blooming. I'm okay for now since the combo seems to be working. The NAD amp is really musical in its presentation compared to the B&K, but I'd like to settle on an IA that can keep me toe tapping for many years.

Thanks. Any others?

Conrad-Johnson CA200.

VT Skier 04-14-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkval (Post 297453)
My poor, lonely Dynaudio C4's are without power.

Can we vote on Howard's next system?

I vote for the ARC Ref 5 SE or CJ ET3 SE (the GAT is NOT worth the price difference Howard) with a Simaudio W-8. Or the reverse: a Sim P-8 with those Octave MRE 130s that are gathering dust on a'gon.

Pider 04-14-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat

Conrad-Johnson CA200.

Yeah. Should have accepted Joe / Howard's offers and this would be a moot point. I just thought it was too much for what I had or was planning at the time. Now I'm into it and am ready to devote more resources than originally thought. The MS HR II and the good little NAD, along with some HD and lossless music, coupled with the now broken in Dyn's have really changed how I'm thinking about the need to get everything up at least one more level before settling in for more listening than gear collecting.

Which is a point, given all our various hobbies, endeavors. A couple days ago I calculated how much I spend per hour on aviation in a year, versus listening to music. It was really a wakeup call. The exercise isn't all that valid, once you think about the value and rewards that you receive from one or the other activity, but it showed me that a large proportion of my pleasure time is getting short changed, if you will. In short, my budget for music gear and the music itself just more than doubled from where it was several months ago when I first joined AA. The CA200 at Howard's price point would have been an easy purchase. Darn.

VT Skier 04-14-2012 09:21 AM

What about the Simaudio I-7 that I think is still for sale in the AA classifieds?

CDLehner 04-14-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Skier (Post 297084)
I use Simaudio (P-8/W-7), originally based on the premise that Dynaudio paired with Sim at every audio show so the combination must be good. And all the glowing reviews by people whose preferences are similar to mine helped.

In my home, the combination sounds great, although I've heard Dyn sound terrific with Octave and other gear at shows. I think any well regarded manufacturer would make any Dyn speaker sound good, and then it all comes down to the buyer's personal choice.

I tend to agree with this. The list of amps Dyns sound "good" with is starting to really grow. I've listened to the Dyns in my system...Special 25s and now C1 Sigs...on 5 different amps in the past year (hell, past 6 months probably...lol); 2 from (David) Belles, 2 from C-J, and even a Wyred4Sound...just for good measure. To a certain extent, they all sounded "good".

So...you've got Belles, C-J, Sim, Naim, Mac; etc, etc. How about Dyns are just damn good. :yes: Now...that being said...there's "good" and there's great. In listening to plenty of amps, here are the 2 characteristics I really tend to look for now...in getting the best out of my C1s: 1) they need to offer good control over the substantial bass, Dyn monitors offer; tight but full. 2) They need to take advantage of the world-class Esotar2 tweeter; extend, but not sound etched or fatiguing.

Again, while most of these amps were successful in sounding "good", obviously some were better than others at accomplishing these traits. I'm currently running C-J at both the pre and power positions. :thumbsup:

CDLehner 04-14-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 296756)
Wow! Now that answer is worth the price of admission! Thank you.

It seems Naim does comes up frequently in conjunction with Dyns. Howard, RaceTripper and others have mentioned them. I noticed when I went solely with the NAD that I did not like the bass handling compared to using the B&K straight into the NAD as a pre/pro. Bass is tricky, of course, but the whole thing went from a realistic sounding double bass to mushy and blooming. I'm okay for now since the combo seems to be working. The NAD amp is really musical in its presentation compared to the B&K, but I'd like to settle on an IA that can keep me toe tapping for many years.

Thanks. Any others?

Pider...Naim is supposed to be the PRaT champ, and I'm curious about one myself; especially since I discovered that the Naim mystique...about somehow punching wayyy above its weight...is a bit of a misnomer. That, in fact, an IA rated at 50wpc, like the 5i, can actually hit 500wpc peaks into 2ohms!

But another unit that really has me intrigued, on the IA front, is the Rega Elicit. Rega has that reputation for the "British" sound, and PRaT as well (in fact, I've seen it compared to Naim in several reviews). However, it offers a bit more (rated) power, and the price isn't quite as steep (on the used market).

CDLehner 04-14-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pider (Post 297651)
In short, my budget for music gear and the music itself just more than doubled from where it was several months ago when I first joined AA.

I'm not sure if that's a ringing endorsement or not; but inevitable for most. :D

Puma Cat 04-14-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 297686)
I tend to agree with this. The list of amps Dyns sound "good" with is starting to really grow. I've listened to the Dyns in my system...Special 25s and now C1 Sigs...on 5 different amps in the past year (hell, past 6 months probably...lol); 2 from (David) Belles, 2 from C-J, and even a Wyred4Sound...just for good measure. To a certain extent, they all sounded "good".

So...you've got Belles, C-J, Sim, Naim, Mac; etc, etc. How about Dyns are just damn good. :yes:

There ya go...

Josquin des Prez 04-14-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Skier (Post 297643)
Can we vote on Howard's next system?

I vote for the ARC Ref 5 SE or CJ ET3 SE (the GAT is NOT worth the price difference Howard) with a Simaudio W-8. Or the reverse: a Sim P-8 with those Octave MRE 130s that are gathering dust on a'gon.

Naim NDX/282/Supercap/250