AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Marantz (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How are marantz separates? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35877)

Mouse 05-20-2016 12:27 AM

How are marantz separates?

How are marantz separates?
I was thinking of McIntosh for home theater but the price is on the high side, and when I ask them questions I get poor customer service responses like "talk to your dealer".
Anyway I'm thinking of Marantz separates, do they handle 4 ohm speakers well? Will it get too hot?
Marantz said they do 4 ohm fine yet I can't find that on their marketing material so I'm a little spooked.
For some reason Denon's higher end AVRs state they safely handle 4 ohm speakers, and the higher priced marantz doesn't?

Anyway please let me know your experiences if you don't mind.

Also how is user friendliness for the wife compared to Denon or McIntosh?

tom1120s 05-31-2016 11:33 AM

I love mine. Although they are discontinued. 4 ohms?

MA9S2 specs out at 300 wpc @ 8 ohms and 600 wpc @ 4ohms.

aardvarkbark 06-01-2016 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 780933)
....and when I ask them questions I get poor customer service responses like "talk to your dealer"....

They may be programmed to say this so that end consumers are forced to engage with sellers/dealers. That said, I got the same 'attitude' from Ayre when I called them with a question that my dealer could not answer, so will never buy another Ayre product.

I'm picking up a 8005 integrated and a 8005 CD player for home office and will let you know.

Mouse 06-02-2016 12:19 AM

I ended up ordering the Mc, with the slight taste of remorse.
I prefered an AVR or Marantz separates due to size and cost. With the 4 ohm speakers I was demoing with Mc and Marantz separates I noticed some defects seldomly in the highs with marantz but not the Mc at louder volumes. I don't know if it was DAC or power related.
Overall the sound quality was very close, but the occasional sound defect and that it's not rated properly for my speakers had me concerned.
The newest 7 channel amp is 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms.
The 5 channel is 140 watts per channel.

Mouse 06-02-2016 12:20 AM

My sales guy said it wasn't clipping, and that the marantz would be acceptable but it won't last as long as it was designed. He thinks it would be ok for the speakers but would burn out sooner.

Randy Myers 06-30-2016 07:43 PM

My Marantz is about an hour old :).... just got a SA8005 spinner :)...

miketuason 07-10-2016 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my Marantz separates. These are my Marantz MA500 monoblocks that use for my rear right, center, and rear left channels.

Randy Myers 07-10-2016 06:44 PM

Nice!