AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New to Shindo (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42596)

jorsan 03-30-2018 07:30 AM

New to Shindo

Hi,
After 45 years in the hobby (I'm 60 now) decided to try something different in this beautiful journey. I have been lucky enough to try excellent equipment at home from the best brands but always SS and big powerful speakers. My music tastes has been evolving from electric music (rock, classic orchestra, progressive jazz, etc), to more acoustic and intimate (acoustic blues, jazz, male/female jazz voices,etc). Because of this I want to try other side of this hobby. I used to listen to the music in a big family room, and now I'm moving to a small room (14ft x 9ft) but with a big opening to another room from one of the long sides (about 9ft), sadly the other side is a long glass door (not the best option right?). I'm seating 8ft from my speakers and they are 7ft between each other so almost "nearfield".
After reading about my best options under this new circumstances of test and space, decided to go with Shindo. A week ago have the opportunity to buy a used Masseto preamp as the first step in this new journey. Next step will be to buy a power amp from same brand also. I think to choose speakers will be the most difficult part for me because have no experience in this area with high efficient speakers and maybe single driver. I know that I'm not going to have bass as I used to but as I mentioned before, want to try something different now that I'm moving around vocals and acoustic music. Original Shindo speakers are not an option mostly because price, and because I need to try some different options until I find what's best for me.
Well, this is my story. If you are listening to music in small spaces like mine, your input will very valuable. As per the characteristic of my room (the long side glass door) a more directional speaker will be a plus and ideas in this direction will be useful.
Thanks

Billion$Baby 03-30-2018 07:46 AM

Audio Note Speakers and Devore Fidelity O 93/96 come to mind around 10K or less. Shindo's Pre-Amps are much more highly regarded than their Power Amps.

TommyC 03-30-2018 12:15 PM

High efficiency speakers for Shindo is a must, otherwise you're wasting its potential.

I had a full Shindo system with the Devore Silverback and Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento. With these medium efficiency speakers, they sounded just ok. The Accuphase and Nagra bettered them. Never had the chance to try the Shindo high efficiency speakers.

jorsan 03-30-2018 02:09 PM

Yes, I was considering Devore O93 and maybe a used Audio Note. As TommyC states, if no high efficiency speakers are used with low wattage amps, everything sound (as he said)... just ok.
What about single drive speakers like Coral Beta 8 or alikes?

CFz 03-30-2018 09:22 PM

I may be quoting Halpern the importer here, but l would look to Shindo's own designs to find speakers that are suitable for Shindo amps.

On the budget side, if you can find some vintage Altec Valencia, Flamenco, or 604s you wouldn't stand to lose much. They typically go between 1-2k if you can find them on craigslist. Maybe not the best size match for smaller rooms but they could do well. I'm using Flamencos in my 14x16 room.

I've been itching to hear the Auditorium 23 single driver speakers like the 755 Hommage, Hommage Ken, and Shindo's own Lafite. Those are still north of the DeVore O93, but the 755 Hommage and DeVore O96 are in the same pricing ballpark. The O93, 755, and Hommage Ken should play nicer in small rooms.

If you've got a dealer nearby I would try and listen. I will say this though: I'm pretty sure the A23 speaker was designed to be used with Shindo amps. As far as system tailoring goes, it's great to know someone as respected and talented as Keith Aschenbrenner is building gorgeous speakers to be compatible with Shindo amplifiers. It takes some of the guess work out of system matching and synergy.

jorsan 03-31-2018 05:52 PM

Thanks CFz but Altecs in my small space is not an option (waf= -10). I'm also interested in the Auditorium 23 brand, but looks like there are no dealers around (I'm in Florida). Will try to listen them in one of my trips to New York . Thanks for your input

doguniverse 03-31-2018 07:17 PM

There is a dealer in Florida for the Auditorium 23. Wellington Audio also carries Shindo

doguniverse 03-31-2018 07:20 PM

Wellington Audio 561-798-1059 wellingtonaudio@mac.com ask for John Geisen

CFz 03-31-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doguniverse (Post 909030)
Wellington Audio 561-798-1059 wellingtonaudio@mac.com ask for John Geisen

You beat me to it. John Geisen is awesome, highly recommended!

restock 04-01-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorsan (Post 908804)
...now I'm moving to a small room (14ft x 9ft) but with a big opening to another room from one of the long sides (about 9ft), sadly the other side is a long glass door (not the best option right?). I'm seating 8ft from my speakers and they are 7ft between each other so almost "nearfield".....I mentioned before, want to try something different now that I'm moving around vocals and acoustic music.

For a small listening area I would advice against the O/96 - the are wonderful speakers but they need space! They look small but really open up if you can sit further than 8ft away and also place far from solid walls. In my place I get away with a slightly smaller place because I have glass behind the speakers which do not reinforce the bass.

I would recommend the A23 speakers which will also be a perfect match to the Shindo Talking to Jonathan he prefers to recommend these over the Devores.