AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Wilson Sophia 3 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=4247)

Tikkenator 04-30-2010 12:54 PM

Wilson Sophia 3

Wilson Audio: Sophia Series 3

Lildebs888 04-30-2010 01:41 PM

Sophia 3

From Wilson Audio: "Wilson Audio is pleased to announce a mini website dedicated to the launch of its new loudspeaker, Sophia Series 3. The Sophia Series 3 is currently scheduled to ship June 1, 2009. Sophia’s U.S. MSRP will be $16,700.00 – the same price as the outgoing model.

Over the next several weeks, Wilson will be releasing information and details about the Sophia Series 3 on this mini website. As our valued friend, we wanted to first debut the Sophia Series 3 mini website with you before we release it to the general public.

A detailed press release will follow in a couple of weeks.

We hope you enjoy the preview – and stay tuned, there is much more to come."

I will post a few pictures for you guys on the Wilson Facebook page :thumbsup:

Deb

PHC1 04-30-2010 02:27 PM

Sophia III. :banana:

Tweeter from Sasha, new woofer and the already very impressive midrange. :thumbsup: This speaker will once again prove to be "the one by which all others will be judged" in the respective price range. :yes:

Elberoth 04-30-2010 03:32 PM

Read the first specs - W/P tweeter, W/P midrange, the outstanding Sophia II woofer that just got better - WOW !

I guess they will be more tube friendly than W/P Sasha.

cmalak 04-30-2010 04:38 PM

Here is more info on the Sophia3 from The Audio Beat. They got a little bit more info from Wilson on the new speaker ahead of the launch. Here you go: The Audio Beat - New Wilson Audio Sophia Benefits from Trickle-Down; Wilson Audio Sophia Series 3

wakkz 04-30-2010 05:58 PM

WOW :D Need to hear it with Mcintosh asap!

Elberoth 05-01-2010 06:39 AM

I kind of regret I got the Sashas now - Audio Note Ongaku would love the Sophia 3 ! (1,8 Ohm impedance dip of the Sasha is just too much for this tiny 27wpc SET)

Oh well.

cmalak 05-01-2010 09:57 AM

You can always downsize back to the Sophia 3s Elberoth. And use extra cash from sale for some other part in your system. Somehow, I don't think you are going to go for that :D

two dot 05-01-2010 11:40 AM

Am I the only one that feels really bad for those guys that spent their hard earned bucks on the Sophia II???

II can't be upgraded to III status... Man that hurts....

Now I know that there was a reason I didn't buy the II's...

cmalak 05-01-2010 12:19 PM

Stephen...according to Peter McGrath of Wilson Audio (whom I met at a recent demo of the Sashas and the Sophia 2s at a local dealer a month or so ago), he actually said the Sophia 3s were coming and that they were letting the Sophia 2s go for $13,700 (down from $16,500) and that anyone who bought the Sophia 2s at this new reduced price could exchange their speakers for the Sophia 3s and just pay the difference in retail. So while there is no upgrade path, there is an exchange path if you recently bought the Sophia 2s.

chessman 05-01-2010 01:38 PM

I bought my Sophia II's used, but even so I have to keep telling myself that they are just as delightful as I thought they were the minute before I learned the Sophia III's exist.

two dot 05-01-2010 03:57 PM

Thats good to know... I wonder what Wilson would do with all of those used II's???

That shows excellent customer relations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 78835)
Stephen...according to Peter McGrath of Wilson Audio (whom I met at a recent demo of the Sashas and the Sophia 2s at a local dealer a month or so ago), he actually said the Sophia 3s were coming and that they were letting the Sophia 2s go for $13,700 (down from $16,500) and that anyone who bought the Sophia 2s at this new reduced price could exchange their speakers for the Sophia 3s and just pay the difference in retail. So while there is no upgrade path, there is an exchange path if you recently bought the Sophia 2s.

PHC1 05-01-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elberoth (Post 78733)
I kind of regret I got the Sashas now - Audio Note Ongaku would love the Sophia 3 ! (1,8 Ohm impedance dip of the Sasha is just too much for this tiny 27wpc SET)

Oh well.

If it wasn't for the fact that I owned a pair of Sophia IIs and then a pair of Sasha back to back, I would say it is much easier to find another amp than it is to match the qualities of Sasha with another brand speaker. While that is still true when it comes to the "other brands" IMHO, the Sophia II is a phenomenal speaker for the money and I am sure the Sophia III will be an even better speaker yet. Yes, for many the Sophia III will be more than enough of a speaker without having to spend another $10k for Sasha but you already own the Sasha, now simply do them justice in the form of an amp that can handle them well. :thumbsup:

Elberoth 05-02-2010 11:49 AM

The problem is, it is difficoult to find an amp that will match Ongaku qualities.

Ongaku + Sophia II was simply magic happening in my room, and I have all reasons to belive Sophia 3 would be even more so.

cmalak 05-02-2010 11:59 AM

see my comment above :D I actually agree with Serge. If you think the Sasha is the better speaker than that's the keeper and find the amp that does it justice. Maybe you just need to get the Sophia 3 to match up with the Ongaku in a second system :banana:

Lildebs888 05-02-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 79130)
see my comment above :D I actually agree with Serge. If you think the Sasha is the better speaker than that's the keeper and find the amp that does it justice. Maybe you just need to get the Sophia 3 to match up with the Ongaku in a second system :banana:

I also agree with Serge and cmalak. I do understand the connection you have with your amp. Trust me, I have a MC275 which I would LOVE to have hooked up with my W/P's, however that is just not going to be the case. There are so many wonderfully sounding amps that you can pair with the Sasha's! :thumbsup: That is part of the fun is to go out and find an amp that will make them sound magical as your other ones did with your Sophia's. :yes:

Elberoth 05-02-2010 02:39 PM

The problem is, I'm already running out of amps to try (already had the Lamm M1.2R - sold them only after 3 months), LOL.

IMO certain SET qualities just cannot be duplicated by a SS amp.

I have no doubt that Sasha is a better speaker. The problem is, you have to drive it with an inferior (SS) amp. So the solution would be either downgrade to the Sophia 3, or jump straight to Maxx 3/X-2 teritory. X-2 driven by Lamm ML-3 - naw THAT would be a killer combo ...

cmalak 05-02-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elberoth (Post 79158)
The problem is, I'm already running out of amps to try (already had the Lamm M1.2R - sold them only after 3 months), LOL.

I have no doubt that Sasha is a better speaker. The problem is, you have to drive it with an inferior (SS) amp. So the solution would be either downgrade to the Sophia 3, or jump straight to Maxx 3/X-2 teritory. X-2 driven by Lamm ML-3 - naw THAT would be a killer combo ...

Elberoth...I take my comment back then. Human progress is a function of always marching forward never backward. So Maxx 3s it is. :D

PHC1 05-02-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elberoth (Post 79158)

IMHO, if you really want to experience the true potential of any low wattage tube amp, especially SET, get yourself 98-102dB efficient speaker that has 8 or greater nominal impedance and is truly tube friendly. At least you will give an amp that is already limited in ultimate linear bandwidth a fighting chance to show you what it can do. Yes, many drive the Alexandria and Maxx 3s with Lamm tube amps but I am not convinced it would be a truly universal approach that would allow you to enjoy any type of music to maximum potential.

mac man 05-04-2010 10:38 AM

I have been reading a lot about the synergy of amps with wilson speakers I know this is a huge personal thing and I don't mean to start a debate at all but what about Wilson SophiaIII with a Mcintosh amp I don't hear a lot of people talking about Mcintosh w/ Wilson? Just Curious:scratch2:

Jean-Marc jmajma 05-04-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac man (Post 79732)
I have been reading a lot about the synergy of amps with wilson speakers I know this is a huge personal thing and I don't mean to start a debate at all but what about Wilson SophiaIII with a Mcintosh amp I don't hear a lot of people talking about Mcintosh w/ Wilson? Just Curious:scratch2:

All I can say is how I came to this combination: back in the days, I wanted to buy a C2200 and my dealer did a demo for me, using this preamp with a MC402 and WP7; what happened this day was I was amazed with this combination and I felt in love with Wilson Audio I only knew for their excellent reputation and very high prices here in France; the rest is history, because I knew from this moment that my beloved BW802N would be soon replaced with Wilson Audio.

At the end of 2007, I bought WP8 for my 1201s I had at this time. WP8s are now driven with 1.2KWs , and C1000 preamps, with a Lyngdorf RP1 in between; if you don't trust me, let's have a demo.

I'm over satisfied with this combination, I got what Alberto calls the "delicious sound"; one thing proves it, I'm no longer lurking to change something in my system. I only buy Music and listen to Music, because it's a tremendous simple pleasure and enchantment everyday and everytime.

I have to admit, to be complete, that WA works very well with AudioResearch too; I had the chance to listen to demos from Pete Mc Grath here in Paris, and it was a great moment; and he is a fantastic man!

Lildebs888 05-06-2010 04:10 PM

2nd video on the new Sophia 3 posted today! In conjunction with Peter McGrath's arrival in Germany for the Munich Hi Fi show we are pleased to announce the next video in the Sophia launch series. In the video, Dave Wilson talks about his design goals and philosophies for the new Sophia. He also compares the Series 3 to the Series 2, and speaks about some of the technologies used the new Sophia. We hope you enjoy it.

wakkz 05-06-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lildebs888 (Post 80243)

2nd video on the new Sophia 3 posted today! In conjunction with Peter McGrath's arrival in Germany for the Munich Hi Fi show we are pleased to announce the next video in the Sophia launch series. In the video, Dave Wilson talks about his design goals and philosophies for the new Sophia. He also compares the Series 3 to the Series 2, and speaks about some of the technologies used the new Sophia. We hope you enjoy it.

Thumbs up!!!!!! :D

Elberoth 05-07-2010 06:12 PM

Just came back from Munich Show. The new Sophias III are a big step up from the Sophia II - they look much more modern now.

Peter did not have the exact specs on hand, but promissed the new Sophias III to be much easier to drive than the Sasha (with the minimum impedance similar to Sophia II) and over 1dB more efficient than the outgoing Sophia II - now almost 90dB.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3042/sophiaiii1.jpg
Peter McGrath standing next to Sophia II (white) and Sophia III (desert silver)

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8907/sophiaiii2.jpg
Same tweeter and midrange as in Sasha/Maxx 3. Now uses felt instead of sponge (just like the Sasha).

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1139/sophiaiii3.jpg
The top of the speaker, as well as the lines on the side, are front tilted now.

Beans 05-07-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 78566)
Sophia III. :banana:

Tweeter from Sasha, new woofer and the already very impressive midrange. :thumbsup: This speaker will once again prove to be "the one by which all others will be judged" in the respective price range. :yes:

And what, dare I ask, would that price range be?

JSCC 05-07-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beans (Post 80469)
And what, dare I ask, would that price range be?

$16.7k Retail

Cellindo 05-08-2010 02:19 AM

I was lurking to the SASHA since Dec. 09, but here in France they are so expensive. I bet the SOPHIA 3 will most probably replace my SOPHIA (1st generation).
I do hope the Desert Silver color is available as standard without any price adder from the factory. Btw, what is the standard color list?

Jean-Marc jmajma 05-08-2010 02:23 AM

Though I love their look, I don't find big (nor little) differences between 2 and 3. I had the same feeling between WP8 and Sasha's/WP9.

If the Sophia 3 gets speakers of Maxx3 and Sasha's (always the same marketing story in my opinion), does it mean they sound the same in these areas?

Elberoth, did you seriously listen to the 3 , especially compared to the 2, if they were in the same show room like it seems to be the case?

JSCC 05-08-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 80576)
Though I love their look, I don't find big (nor little) differences between 2 and 3. I had the same feeling between WP8 and Sasha's/WP9.

If the Sophia 3 gets speakers of Maxx3 and Sasha's (always the same marketing story in my opinion), does it mean they sound the same in these areas?

Elberoth, did you seriously listen to the 3 , especially compared to the 2, if they were in the same show room like it seems to be the case?

Same as cars .... like Mercedes for example .... S Class then water down certain traits to the E Class then the C Class. Like you amply put it "Marketing Story". The difference probably is the bass area ......... deeper, more controlled, tight, fast ..... etc, ..... :D

Jean-Marc jmajma 05-08-2010 02:58 AM

Well said, Jerry.

The problem is that with this way doing marketing, while new sales grow up , when you buy new such expansive speakers, 2 or 3 years laters you can buy them on the used market for half or third price, and it is very frustrative! In my case, WP8 were sold 35000 euros 2 1/2 years ago when I bought them, and I could find yesterday for 14000 euros a used but mint pair.

When Sasha's were released, I gave them long listening hours;I was not that much impressed; and in the end I asked my dealer what he thought, he told me nothing in the sound but a better ability to be driven by different amps!

Now for me no question to go for WP9/Sasha's.

What about Maxx3s? I fear them to be a little toobig in my living room (WAF, 8 or 9 feet height etc...).

What about downsizing with S3s? No way in the end, until I have a chance to compare S3s side by side my WP8s (or let's say Sasha's) .

In conclusion, I love so much my WP8s, I think/know I'll keep them for a long time; I really have found my Graal with these speakers, and the combination with my system is oversatisfying me.

My wife told me I should find another hobby in the end ...

JSCC 05-08-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 80579)
My wife told me I should find another hobby in the end ...

Watch collecting perhaps? :D

For one, I think you already had a very, very respectable system. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. :thumbsup:

Think I am going to do that once I settled down with my last setup. It may end up being a modest setup for which I can simply look at the gears and listen to music and watching the movies. :yes:

Cheers! :banana:

Jean-Marc jmajma 05-08-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSCC (Post 80581)
Watch collecting perhaps? :D

Cheers! :banana:

Jerry,

I'm in the watches hobby yet; the problem is I don't resell; around 20 of very great brands....

Something else?

JSCC 05-08-2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma (Post 80584)
Jerry,

I'm in the watches hobby yet; the problem is I don't resell; around 20 of very great brands....

Something else?

Thats about the only two I can affordably indulge in, and that too, depend very much on models. Maybe Serge can chip in to suggest! :D

1KW 05-08-2010 07:05 AM

While Dave Wilson is a great spokesperson and makes you want to throw away your older model to buy the new one just remember the changes are only noticeable if the two speakers were in the same room for a side by side comparison. My point is don't stop enjoying what you have, eventually what you have will be a audiophile classic and will always be a great sounding speaker. Having said this, having the same midrange and tweeter as the sasha and max in the sophia is very attractive and will surely make this speaker a big hit due to this and the price. I bet that some prospective sasha/wp9 buyers may go for the sophia 3 and save a few bucks to put toward a new cdp or turntable etc. . I enjoyed watching the sophia 3 video ; it does what its supposed to ie makes you want to go to the store hear them in person. Good job :D

Jean-Marc jmajma 05-08-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 80592)
While Dave Wilson is a great spokesperson and makes you want to throw away your older model to buy the new one just remember the changes are only noticeable if the two speakers were in the same room for a side by side comparison. My point is don't stop enjoying what you have, eventually what you have will be a audiophile classic and will always be a great sounding speaker. Having said this, having the same midrange and tweeter as the sasha and max in the sophia is very attractive and will surely make this speaker a big hit due to this and the price. I bet that some prospective sasha/wp9 buyers may go for the sophia 3 and save a few bucks to put toward a new cdp or turntable etc. . I enjoyed watching the sophia 3 video ; it does what its supposed to ie makes you want to go to the store hear them in person. Good job :D

Very well said, exactly what I said, but far better explained.

Elberoth 05-08-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cellindo (Post 80575)
I do hope the Desert Silver color is available as standard without any price adder from the factory. Btw, what is the standard color list?

Desert Silver is standard on the Sasha, with the other one beeing Mercedes Silver and 2 other colors I forgot, so It should be also standard on the Sophia 3 as well.

Still-One 05-08-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 80592)
While Dave Wilson is a great spokesperson and makes you want to throw away your older model to buy the new one just remember the changes are only noticeable if the two speakers were in the same room for a side by side comparison.

Maybe he and Steve Jobs went to the same School for CEO's. :D

Your comments go for a lot of he gear we have. If you do not hear it side by side or one after the other, many times you would not pick up the differences.

Jim

Elberoth 05-08-2010 04:20 PM

I have all reasons to believe, the change will be very noticable. Sasha tweeter is noticably different to Sophia 2 tweeter and much, MUCH better. Sophia's 2 tweeter sounds grainy and 'hot' in comparison.

BTW - the two 'other' colors I forgot that are standard finish are Diamond Black and Dark Titanium.

two dot 05-08-2010 11:51 PM

you going to trade "up" ??? err down?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elberoth (Post 80684)
I have all reasons to believe, the change will be very noticable. Sasha tweeter is noticably different to Sophia 2 tweeter and much, MUCH better. Sophia's 2 tweeter sounds grainy and 'hot' in comparison.

BTW - the two 'other' colors I forgot that are standard finish are Diamond Black and Dark Titanium.

Elberoth 05-09-2010 02:38 AM

Not sure yet. Have to listen first.