AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   PS Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   PS Audio BHK Signature Preamplifier (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35608)

4N6 04-25-2016 12:19 PM

PS Audio BHK Signature Preamplifier

Looks like the new BHK preamplifier is coming soon. Fully balanced, tube input, differentially coupled MOSFET output, headphone output, remote control...and only $6k! Looks to be a potentially OUTSTANDING preamp! :yes:

BHK Signature Preamplifier | PS Audio

A system composed of the BHK Signature Preamplifier and the BHK Signature 300 Monoblock power amplifiers looks to be killer, and perhaps to have HUGE bang for the buck. I would LOVE to compare such a system to my McIntosh C2300/MC601 kit.

ylee 06-19-2017 11:28 PM

Has anyone purchased this preamp yet? I'm curious about what fellow AA'ers think about Bascom King's latest preamplifier.

doggiehowser 06-20-2017 01:06 AM

I swapped my Audio Research Ref5SE out for this.

Love the volume control - it's reminiscent of Ayre's implementation - using gain rather than varying impedance. But it uses tube gain rather than transistors. Very good dynamics even at low levels.

Downsides - not as polished in terms of switching to HT bypass and back. The ARC mutes the output when you switch to HT Bypass.

The BHK dials down the volume as it switches input. So there's a split second of loud music if the other input is active.

I'm using it as part of a full PS Audio stack so there seems to be good synergy.

ylee 06-20-2017 08:37 PM

Thanks for replying. Can you comment regarding its clarity, resolution, and soundstaging?

doggiehowser 06-21-2017 04:47 AM

It needs time to run in. The first time I powered it on, I almost unhooked it and put on the Audio Research back.

The soundstage felt narrower initially.

But it was engaging listening to the initial transients. The first pluck of the guitar or the first strike of the drums or pianos. I lost a lot of that with the ARC.

The imaging was also spot on beautiful. Instruments were much more pin point accurate. Hanging in the middle of the air between the speakers.

So I persisted. And eventually all that came back. The wide and deep soundstage. But just with that little bit more dynamics.

If you already have say the DirectStream or the BHK power amps you'll definitely hear a familial trait. That imaging and transient response seems inherent in the way their gear are voiced. A combination of Arnie and Paul and Bascom's efforts. So the Pre in that combination just builds on that synergy.

If you don't like the way the BHK power amp or the DS sounds, you may not like the Pre either.

4N6 06-21-2017 10:13 AM

Good information, thanks. So far I have really liked all the PS Audio gear I have purchased. Seems like a really excellent company.

ylee 06-22-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 852169)
It needs time to run in. The first time I powered it on, I almost unhooked it and put on the Audio Research back.

The soundstage felt narrower initially.

But it was engaging listening to the initial transients. The first pluck of the guitar or the first strike of the drums or pianos. I lost a lot of that with the ARC.

The imaging was also spot on beautiful. Instruments were much more pin point accurate. Hanging in the middle of the air between the speakers.

So I persisted. And eventually all that came back. The wide and deep soundstage. But just with that little bit more dynamics.

If you already have say the DirectStream or the BHK power amps you'll definitely hear a familial trait. That imaging and transient response seems inherent in the way their gear are voiced. A combination of Arnie and Paul and Bascom's efforts. So the Pre in that combination just builds on that synergy.

If you don't like the way the BHK power amp or the DS sounds, you may not like the Pre either.

Thanks for the additional info. The challenge with PS Audio components is there aren't many places that carry them where I can audition. From what I've read this preamp increases the sense of pace and rhythm and is a good value compared to a lot of competitors. The primary reason I'm interested in this amp along with units from Mark Levinson and Pass Labs is to play around with the voicing of my system. Others I mention are a lot more expensive. The BHK preamp on the other hand is inexpensive enough to experiment with. That's how I wound up with my amp, which turned out to be amazingly good.

psaf 06-27-2017 04:43 PM

Have one also hooked up to Nord NC500 monos, also have the DMP, DSJR and P5, sounds awesome, I replace a Audio Research LS17SE, increased soundstage, bass quickness and added a little warmth, very nice

ylee 06-29-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psaf (Post 853124)
Have one also hooked up to Nord NC500 monos, also have the DMP, DSJR and P5, sounds awesome, I replace a Audio Research LS17SE, increased soundstage, bass quickness and added a little warmth, very nice

Also good to know. Reviews I've read about the BHK preamp involved the PS Audio stack of DAC and amp, so it's informative to hear how the BHK does with non-PS Audio amplifiers and source.

doggiehowser 06-29-2017 09:46 PM

I actually had the Audio Research Ref5SE hooked up to the BHK monos and Electrocompaniet Nemos. Before replacing them with the BHK Pre.

With two sets of ears, in addition to mine, both were hard pressed to choose between the two - ultimately preferring the BHK for the edge in low level listening level dynamics and attack/transients.