AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Balanced Audio Technology (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Output Transformers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28458)

chessman 09-26-2014 08:23 PM

Output Transformers

BAT has several new products out using output transformers. Has anyone heard any of these?

Formerly YB-2 09-30-2014 03:53 PM

As all of their tube gear has always had output transformers, can we assume you are talking about solid-state gear now having output transformers similar to the output "autoformers" used in McIntosh gear?

chessman 09-30-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 641270)
As all of their tube gear has always had output transformers, can we assume you are talking about solid-state gear now having output transformers similar to the output "autoformers" used in McIntosh gear?

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for my prior clumsy description.

jfrech 10-18-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 641270)

Actually, historically, only their Tube Amps had output transformers. Now their Tube pre and phono stages also use output transformers vs capacitors...

I have fond memories of my BAT VK51E and VK150SE...nice stuff for sure.

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 Amp: Ayre MX-R
Cables: Transparent Opus MM2 Spkr, Opus MM2 & Trans Ref MM MM2 Intcnct.
Power Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Anaconda Zitron cords (x9)
Digital dCS Vivaldi DAC & Transport, Scarlatti Clock w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Schroder LT arm, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish & Lyra Atlas, Nagra VPS/VFS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x2)

Victor Khomenko 12-19-2014 11:12 AM

Just to clear some confusion, we recently introduced output transformer into our preamplifiers and phono stages, replacing the previously used capacitors.

Victor

Still-One 12-19-2014 07:08 PM

My understanding is that only McIntosh uses output transformers in their solid state gear.

Formerly YB-2 12-23-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Khomenko (Post 659959)
Just to clear some confusion, we recently introduced output transformer into our preamplifiers and phono stages, replacing the previously used capacitors.
Victor

Victor - is there some technical info on the "why" of this on the BAT website? If not, can you share your thinking with us here?

audio bill 12-24-2014 10:07 AM

Glenn - I believe I can answer your question from their website. Since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to directly quote them, you can look at the description of their VK-53SE preamp for example. In the first section of the details is an explanation of the benefits that the transformers provide compared to their previous use of coupling capacitors. Hope that you find this helpful.

Formerly YB-2 12-24-2014 04:30 PM

Bill - not sure I should thank you. ;) Just when I thought I was going to be happy with an integrated amp BAT does something like this.

Victor - does thé VK-3000se use transformer isolation between the pre- and power sections? If not, maybe an 'X' option for same?

audio bill 12-24-2014 06:12 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but regarding the 3000se I don't think so. Looking at pictures of the circuitry those transformers are the rectangular black boxes used in place of larger capacitors, like the yellow ones in the pic from the 3000se.