AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Soundsmith Paua Mk II (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42767)

ChrisAZ 04-18-2018 07:34 PM

Soundsmith Paua Mk II

Have any of you tried the Soundsmith Paua Mk II? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Lyra Delos and am considering this cart along with the Kiseki NS Purple Heart.

Masterlu 04-18-2018 08:18 PM

I have; Peter Ledermann brought one over to my place and left it with me for a week. The reviews speak for themselves.

ChrisAZ 04-18-2018 10:21 PM

Ivan, did you find it finicky to set up? Did you find it on the warm or neutral side? Do you have any thoughts about it in comparison to the Lyra Delos? I don't expect it to compete with your Goldfinger Statement, but since I can't try it out, let alone in my system, I'm trying to get a feel for it. Thanks, Chris.

FreddieFerric 04-20-2018 02:22 PM

^^Yes Ivan. Inquiring minds want to know. :yes:

Masterlu 04-20-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisAZ (Post 911878)
Ivan, did you find it finicky to set up? Did you find it on the warm or neutral side? Do you have any thoughts about it in comparison to the Lyra Delos? I don't expect it to compete with your Goldfinger Statement, but since I can't try it out, let alone in my system, I'm trying to get a feel for it. Thanks, Chris.

It was not finicky at all to set up. I would say it leans on the warm side. I never had a Lyra Delos in my system, so can’t help you there.

ChrisAZ 04-29-2018 11:36 PM

I've pulled the trigger on the Soundsmith Paua MKII. Ivan's recommendation counted for a lot, the few reviews mattered, and the dealer (a) owns one in his personal system and (b) gave me almost my full purchase price that I paid on the Delos several years ago as a trade-in. That made it a no brainer. But add to that the very reasonable cost to retip/rebuild thru Soundsmith, and watching Peter Ledermann's videos on cartridges and analog (the guy's amazing), just pushed me over the edge. I'll report back once I receive it (Peter builds them himself by hand so it will take a few weeks) and it's had a chance to burn in. All of a sudden my Delos sounded like crap today (that was, of course, nonsense since I am just excitedly anticipating the new cartridge).

gadawg 05-01-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisAZ (Post 913207)
I've pulled the trigger on the Soundsmith Paua MKII. Ivan's recommendation counted for a lot, the few reviews mattered, and the dealer (a) owns one in his personal system and (b) gave me almost my full purchase price that I paid on the Delos several years ago as a trade-in. That made it a no brainer. But add to that the very reasonable cost to retip/rebuild thru Soundsmith, and watching Peter Ledermann's videos on cartridges and analog (the guy's amazing), just pushed me over the edge. I'll report back once I receive it (Peter builds them himself by hand so it will take a few weeks) and it's had a chance to burn in. All of a sudden my Delos sounded like crap today (that was, of course, nonsense since I am just excitedly anticipating the new cartridge).

I know exactly what you mean! I'm awaiting my new arrival which is an Avenger with Ref arm and the Transfiguration Proteus and all of a sudden I can't listen to my Prime any longer! LOL. My dealer gave me almost everything I paid for the Prime 2 years ago so was also a no brainer for me. Lucky for us we had dealers that were good to work with on our analog upgrade!

BTW ... I've heard the Paua on a Prime Signature and it sounds amazing! You're in for a real treat!

George

ChrisAZ 05-01-2018 11:32 PM

Thanks George!

fjn04 07-08-2018 07:02 PM

Any updates on The Paua II???

Maks 01-21-2019 12:21 PM

Old bump here, SS is closing these out at 50% off so I'm strongly considering picking one of these up. Have read nothing but good reviews, but few people with personal experience.