AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Grand Piano Concerto Vs Grand Piano Home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42166)

Psychoaudio 02-11-2018 06:26 PM

Grand Piano Concerto Vs Grand Piano Home

Hello SF enthusiasts.

I have an opportunity to purchase the grand piano home version but curious if the concertos are better? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

GSOphile 02-11-2018 08:12 PM

From the internet: "Today, a baby grand refers to a small horizontal piano, around 5 feet long. A grand is usually around 6 or 7 and a concert grand is anything above 7." My answer would be that it depends on how you intend to use it. A nine foot concert grand will be richer tonally but may not be a good fit for your room (or your pocketbook).....

GaryProtein 02-11-2018 08:19 PM

If you are a real musician and have the space, get a seven foot grand. (I think my mother's Steinway B was 6'11". We sold it after she died since no one else played it.) The tonality is incredible. The attacks and resonance is just gorgeous.

Antonmb 02-11-2018 09:15 PM

Grand Piano Concerto Vs Grand Piano Home

I’m assuming you’re asking about speakers, not pianos: the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home vs the Concerto Domus, right? The Grand Piano was the top of the Concerto line at the time, so I think it might have been a step up from the Concerto Domus. In any case these are fairly old models so I would check them out carefully. I don’t know if the difference was huge, so it may be that you go for the ones in the best shape.

kubla36 02-11-2018 09:41 PM

I have a pair off an MC275. They do OK on that, but more responsive on the MC452 of course.

Their treble is high. My taste has changed and I don’t like that as much any longer and find it fatiguing (have the tweeter pointed up and behind). But if you like that for brass...

audioguy3107 02-11-2018 09:41 PM

Are we talking about Sonus Faber speakers or 🎹? :thought:

- Buck

Psychoaudio 02-11-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonmb (Post 898911)
I’m assuming you’re asking about speakers, not pianos: the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home vs the Concerto Domus, right? The Grand Piano was the top of the Concerto line at the time, so I think it might have been a step up from the Concerto Domus. In any case these are fairly old models so I would check them out carefully. I don’t know if the difference was huge, so it may be that you go for the ones in the best shape.

thanks..!

Psychoaudio 02-11-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 898919)
Are we talking about Sonus Faber speakers or ��? :thought:

- Buck

well that was the intention but people seemed to refer to grand pianos. Perhaps Steinway bought Sonus Faber ...:scratch2::sigh:

Psychoaudio 02-11-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubla36 (Post 898918)
I have a pair off an MC275. They do OK on that, but more responsive on the MC452 of course.

Their treble is high. My taste has changed and I don’t like that as much any longer and find it fatiguing (have the tweeter pointed up and behind). But if you like that for brass...

do you have the original version or the home version?

kubla36 02-11-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychoaudio (Post 898923)
do you have the original version or the home version?

Original, I’ve not heard the home.