AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Schiit (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Yggdrasil ordered. Goodbye Gumby... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42146)

PHC1 02-09-2018 07:18 PM

Yggdrasil ordered. Goodbye Gumby...

Had a wonderful time with Gumby, such a great DAC! Sad to see it go really but on the other hand a YggY should be taking it's place soon. :banana:

Probably would not have upgraded if it wasn't for the itch to spin some of my CDs and XRCDs on a quality transport and when an opportunity presented itself in the form of a Moon 260D transport, well, I just couldn't help it. :D The AES/EBU output of Moon 260D will feed the AES/EBU input of YggY.

Of course there is a natural curiosity to compare YggY to Gumby but up until this point, Gumby's performance kept that urge on a back burner for me. Well, the wheels were set in motion and Gumby is making its way to the next owner and sometime soon I should have a brand new YggY sitting in my rack.

Not looking forward to 500-600 hrs of break in again, but good things come to those who wait.

In the mean time, I am streaming Roon/Tidal via my Bryston BDP-Pi Roon ready streamer to the USB input/DAC of my Violectric V281 tank of a headphone amp which in turn feeds PrimaLuna integrated with its pre-fader outputs. This setup sounds great by the way so the wait will not be as painful. :music:

The Violectric DAC is something I am hearing for the first time through speakers actually. Sounds very musical and smooooth. :music: I'll give it a more thorough listen over the weekend.

As YggY arrives and gets some break in time, I will post my observations of what differences I found between Gumby and YggY (it will have to be going from memory at this point)

Tie_breaker 02-09-2018 07:29 PM

Congrats Serge.. You will love it.. My YggY now has over 700 hours and it sounds wonderful. It made a good improvement over my previous DAC. I am feeding the AES/EBU input of my Yggy via the AES/EBU output of my Bryston BDP-2. I also have the spdif output connected to the spdif input. Both sound great with the Yggy, but I prefer the AES/EBU. Bigger soundstage, a bit more airy sound.

PHC1 02-09-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tie_breaker (Post 898381)
Congrats Serge.. You will love it.. My YggY now has over 700 hours and it sounds wonderful. It made a good improvement over my previous DAC. I am feeding the AES/EBU input of my Yggy via the AES/EBU output of my Bryston BDP-2. I also have the spdif output connected to the spdif input. Both sound great with the Yggy, but I prefer the AES/EBU. Bigger soundstage, a bit more airy sound.

Thanks, congrats to you too!

Straight from the horse’s mouth (Schiit tech support who are extremely responsive and helpful by the way) the AES/EBU input is the preferred digital input as per the designer of YggY

jdandy 02-09-2018 08:04 PM

Serge.......Congratulations on your new Yggdrasil. It truly is an exceptional DAC. You and I will be enjoying the same source component and DAC in our respective sound systems. Kind of cool. I am loving the Simaudio MOON Neo 260D transport and Yggdrasil combination. I have been listening to it since about 4:00 PM today. I now have 25 hours on the 260D transport and haven't found a single thing to nitpick about.

I am not only looking forward to your impressions of the MOON Neo 260D with the Yggdrasil, I am also looking forward to reading your impressions of the Yggdrasil compared to the Gumby.

You are in for a real treat with your new Yggdrasil and 260D transport. Here's to many hours of enjoyable listening.

Dr Tone 02-09-2018 08:41 PM

Congrats Serge.

All this AES talk made me ask my dealer to get the Auralic Aries G2 in for demo. I feel inadequate on USB now.

jdandy 02-09-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 898382)
Thanks, congrats to you too!

Straight from the horse’s mouth (Schiit tech support who are extremely responsive and helpful by the way) the AES/EBU input is the preferred digital input as per the designer of YggY

Serge.......That pushed over the edge. I just ordered a half meter Wireworld Gold Starlight 7 balanced (AES/EBU) digital cable from Ivan, the best Wireworld dealer in the USA.

High-end audio is some kind of fun. . :yeeea:

Masterlu 02-09-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 898408)
Serge.......That pushed over the edge. I just ordered a half meter Wireworld Gold Starlight 7 balanced (AES/EBU) digital cable from Ivan, the best Wireworld dealer in the USA.

High-end audio is some kind of fun. . :yeeea:

Thank you! :tiphat:

Formerly YB-2 02-09-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 898408)
[B]...........ordered a half meter Wireworld Gold Starlight 7 balanced (AES/EBU) digital cable..........

Dan - Is that a special? Just checked WW's website and they not listing a Gold Starlight 7. Jumps from Silver to Platinum.

robfine 02-09-2018 09:39 PM

I have a WW Gold Starlight 7 AES/EBU connecting my BDP2 to my BDA2. Wasn’t special order when I got it. Really nice cable btw.

kubla36 02-09-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 898376)
As YggY arrives and gets some break in time, I will post my observations of what differences I found between Gumby and YggY (it will have to be going from memory at this point)

Excellent! <simpsons /burns>