AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Stillpoints (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Lets talk about Stillpoint isolation products. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=25065)

rbbert 01-27-2014 11:35 AM

Lets talk about Stillpoint isolation products.

I'd love to have someone start a Stillpoints thread. I don't own any and my only listening experience was a couple of rooms at RAMF 2012...

jdandy 01-27-2014 02:19 PM

rbbert.......Here you go. I'm sure we have members who are using Stillpoint isolation. Please offer some comments on their performance, what they replaced if anything, and cost versus improvements in sound.

j3brow 01-27-2014 02:48 PM

I plan on auditioning stillpoints in my system in the near future. Specifically, related to my turntable both as feet replacement and the center weight.

Toocool4 01-27-2014 03:25 PM

I hear so many good things about Stillpoint feet, are they really that good? Would love to try some, I currently use Finite Elemente feet.

Whart 01-27-2014 03:43 PM

I did an extensive comparison of various decoupling devices a year or so ago, for use under the tube power supply of my phono stage. Among the devices I compared: Goldmunds cones (had several sets from decades ago); HRS decouplers; Herbie's footers; Vibrapod plus cone; Aurios; a proprietary rollerblock; and Stillpoints SS. The Aurios did the most to tighten and clarify, but at the expense of harshness and stridency; the HRS was fine, but didn't really do much, with that component, even with their isolation plates on top; the Vibrapod/cone combo was surprising good, given how cheap they are; the Stillpoints had a lot of the positives of the Aurios without the 'bite.'
I have also been using the Stillpoints LP 1 for a while on my high mass table, in lieu of the factory screw down clamp, which is heavier. The LP 1 made the sound more relaxed and a little less punchy in the bass- something I was easily able to 'correct' by adjusting my woofer x-over settings. The midrange is better than with the factory clamp- there is an 'ease' that lets the music shine through. The factory clamp made everything sound more propulsive, but in the process, sounded less relaxed, if that makes any sense.
Haven't tried them as footers under my speakers yet- still using the aftermarket footer supplied by Grand Prix- a carbon fibre cone with a ball bearing made of unobtanium.
My take, based on the admittedly limited experience I've had with two of their products- beneficial, if your system is already pretty mature, and you are looking to extract that last 5 or 10%. Be prepared to make adjustments in settings or set-up to optimize them fully. Good, prompt responses to customer questions from the factory as well.

rbbert 01-27-2014 10:36 PM

Thanks, Bill. My first intention would be to replace the Aurios currently under my speakers with Ultra SS. As you know, I don't use a turntable, and currently use Vibracones under ny disc player; if I got Stillpoints for my speakers I could try the Aurios under the Modwright Oppo.

Mr_Sukebe 01-28-2014 08:47 AM

I ran some dem's before buying a set of three cones around 7 years ago.
Does appear to be kit dependant (some benefits more than others), but for all that I now have a set under my power amp and a further set under my processor/preamp. I genuinely believe that these have a positive impact.
Have tried other options, none of which seemed to do anything of note. No idea why stillpoints work, but they do. Just check their s/h value, which helps justify the claims of their effectiveness.
If you're thinking about it, grab a set and check them out. You can sell them on for probably 2/3rds of their cost if you don't think it's worthwhile. If you do, get your credit card ready for real pain if you roll them out under everything.

rbbert 01-28-2014 12:31 PM

The newer Stillpoints are apparently almost completely redesigned from your older ones.

As far as a home trial, fortunately both Music Direct and The Cable Company are very generous with full return policies.

Douger 02-04-2014 11:40 AM

Sound Environment in Omaha has been a dealer for over a year. At RMAF 2012 I heard
a very expensive DAC in a very expensive system, and learned that the biggest difference was vibration control... I came home and put together balsam boxes with iron nails inside to sit on each component, CD player, preamp and DAC. It was better. This past fall I agreed to listen to a home demo of Stillpoint Mini's because I could afford to
buy them if I liked them (very important...)
They made a great difference! I bought 3 sets of 3 and consider it a very wise investment. I would recommend taking the home trial if you can afford them, it would
be unusual that they wouldn't help :)

jimtranr 03-08-2014 05:11 PM

Late to the party, but thought I'd add my two cents about the Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

After trying everything from Navcom and IsoBlock footers at one end of the spectrum to various cones and Aurios at the other under my main system's c-j tubed line stage and SS amp, I auditioned the Ultra Minis on the advice of a 30-day-return-if-you-don't-like-them dealer.

Up to that point, the Aurios had done the best job of extracting detail from program material but--as others have observed--at the cost of injecting harshness into the presentation. The Ultra Minis got the porridge just right--not simply extracting but fleshing out detail without adding fatiguing or masking artifacts to instrumentals, vocals, large orchestras, or massed choruses. The presentations, in short, had become (and remain) more "organic."

Needless to say, the Ultra Minis haven't gone back to the dealer.