AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vivid Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   What amplifier are you using with your Vivids? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38062)

Briz Vegaas 12-21-2016 06:49 AM

What amplifier are you using with your Vivids?

Looking at the photographs of systems it seems that most Vivid owners use large powerful solid state mono-block amps with their speakers.

My B1 s are a little more affordable ( which will impact on my amo choices and budget) but I started with the 300 watt into 4 ohm solid state Conrad Johnson CA200 ( bypassing its passive pre with the CT5 preamp) and upgraded to a teflon packing LP70s tube amp with KT120 tubes. To me it was a definite upgrade, even if it was just a matter of synergy, why knows. Sure, it would be nice to be running ( reportedly superior) LP140 tube monos but i am pretty happy with what the LP70 can do.

Anyone else like to discuss their choice of amplifier? I am particularly interested in those that have tried a few different types of amps in their time with Vivid.

bart 12-21-2016 09:42 AM

Hi, I have, just like you did, gone from solid state to tubes.
I had Burmester, and I was quite happy with it, was even thinking of searching for a second hand amp of their reference line: the 909.
And then I discovered Halgorythme.
For my taste in music, a perfect fit.

My journey here.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=33243

Nebob 12-22-2016 02:10 PM

100% solid state fan here. Have four Brystons fed directly by an 8 channel Merging NADAC. Was for some reason never tempted to try tubes. I have no desire to add any warmth to my G2s, only to feed them the cleanest signal possible ;)

ChrisG 12-23-2016 01:32 AM

I'm using SS with my B-1s (Hegel H30 amp) and I use a tube preamp (VTL TL7.5 III)

Briz Vegaas 12-24-2016 03:44 AM

I'm enjoying a demo 2nd hand Valhalla power cord on my CJ CT5 today ( i was using a lesser Nordost before). I was getting itchy feet and discovered that the pre just needed a bit of a leg up, so to speak. Gone from a nice but slightly slow and darkish sound to something more neutral with a spring in its step. Its never perfection for audiophiles but i am liking the new balance very much.

Tremayne 12-25-2016 04:34 AM

I've used Burmester, Esoteric and then changed to Devialet with a D800, which has been upgraded to a 1000 Pro.

Briz Vegaas 12-27-2016 04:30 AM

How do you find lower volume listing on the Dev?

I have heard great sound at volume from an upgraded Dpremier but i rarely listen as loud as the demo ( it was at a mates house, not in store). I''m more moderate than most audiophiles that i know. Listening at 30 right now and its the goldilocks point for me for a modern CD rip. Late night listening also has to be entertaining and some amps are just dull at thise levels.

Nearing the end of my demo on the Valhalla, and its gonna be my bank balance thats taking the hit. The Vivids have responded strongly, which is no less than you would expect,

DCMC 01-08-2017 07:20 AM

I am thinking of buying a preowned VIvid Giya G2. Anyone know whether they will sound good with my very old CJ MF2200 amp and CJ Classic Tube preamp? Also looking at the MBL Corono C11 and C21 pre and stereo amp (offer on demo units). Any views appreciated.

Tremayne 01-09-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas (Post 822425)
How do you find lower volume listing on the Dev?

I have heard great sound at volume from an upgraded Dpremier but i rarely listen as loud as the demo ( it was at a mates house, not in store). I''m more moderate than most audiophiles that i know. Listening at 30 right now and its the goldilocks point for me for a modern CD rip. Late night listening also has to be entertaining and some amps are just dull at thise levels.

Nearing the end of my demo on the Valhalla, and its gonna be my bank balance thats taking the hit. The Vivids have responded strongly, which is no less than you would expect,

Lower volume listening is very good, that was one of the improvements that Devialet made with the Expert to Pro upgrade.

baddog 01-09-2017 09:34 PM

Devialet 440 Pro here. Very happy in pairing it with my G3s. Good sound at all volume levels.

Masterlu 01-10-2017 10:30 PM

DCMC... Welcome to AA! :wave:

vinod_david 01-10-2017 11:50 PM

DCMC, welcome to AA.

bart 01-11-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCMC (Post 824959)
I am thinking of buying a preowned VIvid Giya G2. Anyone know whether they will sound good with my very old CJ MF2200 amp and CJ Classic Tube preamp? Also looking at the MBL Corono C11 and C21 pre and stereo amp (offer on demo units). Any views appreciated.

First of all, a hearty welcome to AA!

Vivid Audio speakers sound good with all good amplifiers.
Mind you, they are very revealing, so they will show the differences between various amps, and their shortcomings.

I heard Vivid Audio with D'Agostino, Classé, Mola Mola, Ayre,...
In my own system, I went from Burmester to my current amps (Halgorythme 48W class A tube amps). Couldn't be happier.

Briz Vegaas 01-13-2017 11:04 PM

Wow. G2. noice.

There are things you can do to refine your CJ amps. I have a mile of Nordost on mine and feet as well. Every little thing you do will be rewarded as previously mentioned.

bmwmcab 01-26-2017 03:21 AM

I'm running my B1's with a Luxman M800A.

cma29 01-26-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 825574)
First of all, a hearty welcome to AA!

Vivid Audio speakers sound good with all good amplifiers.
Mind you, they are very revealing, so they will show the differences between various amps, and their shortcomings.

I heard Vivid Audio with D'Agostino, Classé, Mola Mola, Ayre,...
In my own system, I went from Burmester to my current amps (Halgorythme 48W class A tube amps). Couldn't be happier.

Yes, I heard Bart's system. :thumbsup:

Douglas 01-26-2017 12:46 PM

Vivid speakers are more tube amp friendly than most speakers, thanks to a minimum impedance of 4 ohms. If you love tube amps, then Vivid is your speaker.

bmwmcab 01-28-2017 08:56 PM

i wonder how they would work with 300B set tube amps.

SOA 01-29-2017 06:56 AM

I'm using D'Agostino MAS Momentum Stereo. Excellent match with G2.
I've also tried Gamut D200i and BAT Vk75 in my system. The last one not a good match.

At my dealer I've heard G3, K1 and V1.5 with several amps, like ARC ref 75SE, ARC GSI75, Devialet 120, 250 (SAM), Parasound Halo int, Pure Audio Ref, Jeff Rowland Continuum. In general all very good matches, so it seems Vivid speakers works very well with a wide range of amplifiers.

bart 01-29-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOA (Post 829160)
I'm using D'Agostino MAS Momentum Stereo. Excellent match with G2.
I've also tried Gamut D200i and BAT Vk75 in my system. The last one not a good match.

At my dealer I've heard G3, K1 and V1.5 with several amps, like ARC ref 75SE, ARC GSI75, Devialet 120, 250 (SAM), Parasound Halo int, Pure Audio Ref, Jeff Rowland Continuum. In general all very good matches, so it seems Vivid speakers works very well with a wide range of amplifiers.

That is exactly my experience.
But take care of the upstream electronics and beware of dodgy recordings , the Vivids will sound horrible when the source is horrible!

Briz Vegaas 02-01-2017 04:13 PM

What is an example of a dodgy recording.

I listened to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine and Lonerism by Tame Impala last night. Two dense wall of sound pea soup albums. Both entirely listenable. Nothing to make you wince. These albums sit at the outer edge of my musical taste and neither are on high rotation. I was listening because i saw Lonerism in Pitchfork's top ten albums of the current decade. I thought, hang on, I think i have that one. While listening i kept thinking MBV, this reminds me of MBV.

I find smooth Jazz boring as hell so i am not a stereotypical :-) audiophile. I do like to hear what is on the recording. With Vivids you can fine tune with the electronics. B1 's give you what you want without punishing you for it, provided the rest of the gear is up to it.

bart 02-01-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briz Vegaas (Post 829811)
What is an example of a dodgy recording.

I listened to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine and Lonerism by Tame Impala last night. Two dense wall of sound pea soup albums. Both entirely listenable. Nothing to make you wince. These albums sit at the outer edge of my musical taste and neither are on high rotation. I was listening because i saw Lonerism in Pitchfork's top ten albums of the current decade. I thought, hang on, I think i have that one. While listening i kept thinking MBV, this reminds me of MBV.

I find smooth Jazz boring as hell so i am not a stereotypical :-) audiophile. I do like to hear what is on the recording. With Vivids you can fine tune with the electronics. B1 's give you what you want without punishing you for it, provided the rest of the gear is up to it.

Indeed, I totally agree.
Some studios use them to monitor.
They are very neutral and true to the sound.

With our B&Ws, we didn't notice so much that some of our albums were of low sound quality.
With our Vivids, these CDs couldn't hide their shortcomings anymore.
We simply don't listen to them anymore.
More than enough well recorded music out there.
And there Vivid Audio shines.
(Okay, I do listen to old jazz, these performances are so unique you can't replace them).

BillK 02-28-2017 06:45 PM

My G2s started off being driven with a Mark Levinson No. 334, now it's a pair of Ayre MX-R Twenties.

gtl 03-03-2017 02:42 AM

Hi Bart, have you tried pairing your Halgorythme pre amp with a solid state amp? Looking at going this route as I would like to run my equipment for long hours. Power amp tubes would probably be too costly and hot.

Have heard the devialet 400 which sounded unengaging. Looking for that bit of tube magic.

Also, any idea if Cedric would sell to Hong Kong or Singapore?

bart 03-06-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtl (Post 835079)
Hi Bart, have you tried pairing your Halgorythme pre amp with a solid state amp? Looking at going this route as I would like to run my equipment for long hours. Power amp tubes would probably be too costly and hot.

Have heard the devialet 400 which sounded unengaging. Looking for that bit of tube magic.

Also, any idea if Cedric would sell to Hong Kong or Singapore?

Hi gtl!
No I haven't tried.
I might do it in the future though.
Not because I'm unhappy now, on the contrary.
Just to try things out.

I don't think Cédric really wants to sell to customers who live far.
He likes to install everything himself after he's made the gear.
And... his order book seems to be full enough this way.

gtl 03-16-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bart (Post 835566)
Hi gtl!
No I haven't tried.
I might do it in the future though.
Not because I'm unhappy now, on the contrary.
Just to try things out.

I don't think Cédric really wants to sell to customers who live far.
He likes to install everything himself after he's made the gear.
And... his order book seems to be full enough this way.

Such a pity. Looks like I might just look at getting some Pass Labs then. Would be interested in knowing how the Halgorythme pre goes with a solid state amp though, should you try it. Or even Class D.

hkskw 01-17-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwmcab (Post 828527)
I'm running my B1's with a Luxman M800A.

800a has an input sensitivity of about 770mV, will that be an issue for most American brand preamps? It seems that it will become loud when the preamp (non-Luxman preamp) volume knob is only 8:00am position. Am I right?

Thx.

hkskw 01-17-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 834580)
My G2s started off being driven with a Mark Levinson No. 334, now it's a pair of Ayre MX-R Twenties.

Could you share more on this?

I have an Ayre K-1x preamp and a V5 power amp driving a pair of B1. I want to replace Ayre V5 with a Mark Levinson 336. Will that bring me a substantial improvement over sound quality?

I love the mid and hi of V5 but it’s a bit light on bass. Will 336 give me good mid and hi plus bass slam?

Thanks.

bmwmcab 01-19-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkskw (Post 992588)
800a has an input sensitivity of about 770mV, will that be an issue for most American brand preamps? It seems that it will become loud when the preamp (non-Luxman preamp) volume knob is only 8:00am position. Am I right?

Thx.

Hmmmm...not too sure about that as all the preamps i have has digital displays of the volume. I currently run a Burmester 011 preamp with the Luxman and they seem to pair up great. I usually listen with the volume reading about 18-22 depending on recording.

sssb6 02-12-2020 12:25 AM

Driving my Giya G2 S2s with a Wells Audio Innamorata Signature on highs/mids and an Innamorata on the woofers. Sounds quite good IMO.

BillK 03-05-2020 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkskw (Post 992590)
Could you share more on this?

I have an Ayre K-1x preamp and a V5 power amp driving a pair of B1. I want to replace Ayre V5 with a Mark Levinson 336. Will that bring me a substantial improvement over sound quality?

I love the mid and hi of V5 but it’s a bit light on bass. Will 336 give me good mid and hi plus bass slam?

Thanks.

In my experience, no.

My Ayre MX-R Twenties are one of the best upgrades I ever made.

I'd suggest trying some other Ayre amps, or maybe a Moon.

Drsiebling 03-10-2020 12:09 PM

Has anyone here paired their Vivid speakers with a McIntosh amp? I’m considering a pair of B1s to go with a McIntosh MC462...