AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Ye' Old Workshop (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   DIY lumber source (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=7353)

gtubes 02-23-2011 10:44 PM

DIY lumber source

I once built a shelving unit out of maple veneered laminated 3/4" plywood. It was 42" wide, 19" deep. Single sheet shelves only. The resonance was brutal. This time around I was simply going to double up the same shelves but use construction adhesive to sandwich the shelves together for a total of 1.5" thick.

** My preference is to find solid 1.5" shelving, maple etc**

I have even seen butcher block shelves. I have combed the big box stores, and nothing beside 4x8 sheets of you name it.

Where would I go to find solid thick basic lumber shelving?

jdandy 02-24-2011 12:40 AM

Greg.......You will have to seek out hardwood suppliers. Take a look at woodworkerssource.com as a starting point.

gtubes 02-24-2011 09:29 AM

Dan, fantastic, thank you, I will check it out

jdandy 02-24-2011 05:32 PM

Greg.......The few times I have purchased hardwood, I had to locate the specific hardwood dealers. Most lumber yards only deal in construction type lumber. Call a few custom cabinet makers and ask where they buy their hardwood.

tdelahanty 09-22-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc602 (Post 144357)
I once built a shelving unit out of maple veneered laminated 3/4" plywood. It was 42" wide, 19" deep. Single sheet shelves only. The resonance was brutal. This time around I was simply going to double up the same shelves but use construction adhesive to sandwich the shelves together for a total of 1.5" thick.

** My preference is to find solid 1.5" shelving, maple etc**

I have even seen butcher block shelves. I have combed the big box stores, and nothing beside 4x8 sheets of you name it.

Where would I go to find solid thick basic lumber shelving?

I built amp stands using 3/4" oak plywood and MDF to get 1.5" thickness. The outer edges are trimmed with 1/4" oak ripped to 1.5"s I stained them with Watco's Danish oil. Golden oak finish adds just a little orange color but is very neutral, almost clear. They are non-resonant, dead !!! Loews carries the stock in 4x8, 4x2, 2x2 sizes. They have maple and birch too.

10Beers 09-22-2011 10:20 AM

That sounds good. (no pun intended)
Heres another option.. LINK
you might find that these these guys [oliverlumber.com] superior products and selection than that of the big box retailers

gtubes 09-22-2011 11:42 AM

Hey thx fellas, as a cheaper alternate I just finished using a double wide maple veneered plywood 3 shelver I built, doubled up the 3/4" shelves and it was dead quite too, huge success. I am going back to a single tall config to get the tt a little higher etc. This time 1"1/4 bolt/rods, and triple thick 3/4" shelves. This will be a very solid, very heavy and a dead quiet solution. The finish I need to work on...

Face 09-22-2011 11:54 AM

Veneered or stained void free, 13 ply, 18mm Baltic Birch would be a better choice. Laminate 2 sheets or more together and you'll have something very solid. For small and medium sheets I usually buy from Rockler.com.

gtubes 09-22-2011 12:13 PM

Face, ok, I will investiagte this as an option for sure!

JFTM 09-22-2011 06:49 PM

I noticed you are in Toronto.

For hardwood (you may need to do your own fabrication) try Peacock Lumber in Oshawa

peacocklumber.ca PEACOCK LUMBER