AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   dCS Rossini DAC and Clock on order (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34627)

enatai252 02-04-2016 08:23 PM

dCS Rossini DAC and Clock on order

I put an order in for the Rossini DAC and clock in black today. It will go into a study system with Wilson speakers and Ayre preamp/amp. I have a Vivaldi stack sans transport in my main system. I look forward to the Tidal integration in the app (I have been using on my Naim streamers and really enjoy having the extra selection). The upcoming Vivaldi firmware updates hopefully will be announced soon as well

Still-One 02-05-2016 02:50 PM

Congratulations. If ever decide to move away from Meridian the Rossini is on the short list of capable alternatives. Looking forward to your thoughts and observations.

enatai252 04-13-2016 10:56 PM

Well I have had a few weeks with my Rossini DAC and have been extremely impressed with how close the Rossini gets to the Vivaldi. The Rossini is less complicated and simpler than the three box Vivaldi stack in my main room. I have it set up on filter 2 and up sampling to DXD. I also run at 6V into the Ayre preamp. The app is a work in process but very intuitive. Tidal integration is a nice feature and works similar to my Naim streamers. While not inexpensive....I think the Rossini is a high value product for what it delivers. Artists are presented in a natural and very organic way....there is lots of micro detail and frequency extension but the music comes through in a very coherent way. Not exaggerated or extreme. I listen to a lot of small scale jazz trio or quartets and the Rossini allows me to take in the full performance or to pullout one performer of the group and focus on them

Piano, violin, tenor sax, trumpet....my favorite instruments...have the first impulse and decay I hear from live performances I am quite pleased with the results and recommend highly

Of course just as I get a handle on the performance vs the Vivaldi....I update my Vivaldi DAC to 2.0 and then WOW! The MAP 1 on DXD up samples takes the game to a whole new level. Have not gotten to MAP3 yet

More to follow....my Vivaldi up sampler will be going to 2.0 once available

Nacho 04-22-2016 03:37 AM

Hi Enatai.
I had a Rossini Dac on my home for demo and like you i had to put it on 6v output voltage. On paper that option is made to connect it directly to the amplifier bypassing the preamp.
As you have wrote you are using the same output voltage. Don´t you feel the sound is overdamped?
Do you have the Rossini clock too?
How is the Tidal app working on the Rossini? Does it have a good interface?
King regards.

JimmyS 04-26-2016 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is a HAPPY DAY at my house :)

Masterlu 04-26-2016 06:23 PM

Looking Real Good! :yes:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...6-14.37.08.jpg

Nacho 04-27-2016 02:13 AM

Hi Jimmys.
Really nice system !!!
Have you put your new Rossini through the ethernet input?
Does the Rossini's Tidal sound better than the Aurender one?

JimmyS 04-27-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho (Post 776366)
Hi Jimmys.
Really nice system !!!
Have you put your new Rossini through the ethernet input?
Does the Rossini's Tidal sound better than the Aurender one?

Thanks, been a fun path to get where the system is today.

I am running ethernet straight to the Rossini. I plan to get some time on it, then compare the Rossini Network input to the Aurender via USB to see if there is a sound quality difference.

enatai252 05-06-2016 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho (Post 775481)
Hi Enatai. I had a Rossini Dac on my home for demo and like you i had to put it on 6v output voltage. On paper that option is made to connect it directly to the amplifier bypassing the preamp. As you have wrote you are using the same output voltage. Don´t you feel the sound is overdamped? Do you have the Rossini clock too? How is the Tidal app working on the Rossini? Does it have a good interface? King regards.

Sorry for the late response

First...I have tried both the 6V and 2V output and prefer the 6V. I don't get any feeling of slowness or lack of speed- if that was your question. The Ayre preamp can take a 6v+ signal without issue but not sure if all preamps can. Perhaps you were hearing some overload or compression through your preamp. dCS does recommend the 2V when not going direct to amp so your experience is inline with their reco.....I just felt it sounded better in my setup

I do have the clock but I did not do any listening to DAC without it so while I can recommend the two units....I can't say how much improvement the clock adds. The tidal app integration works very similar to my Naim apps and is easy to use. I listen to either Tidal or music files over Ethernet. My files are stored in a NAS with CD's ripped on Naim HDX and hirez files downloaded directly to the NAS. I use the Naim HDX as my server SW.

joeling 05-07-2016 01:32 AM

Congratulations !

I am also curious. How does the Rossini compare with Vivaldi with the V2 Map 1 update ?