AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dedicated Circuits and Isolation Transformers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1640)

wpines 07-19-2009 03:24 PM

Dedicated Circuits and Isolation Transformers

I'm about to put in dedicated circuits.
What can you guys "learn me" about dedicated circuits and maybe isolation transformers before I begin.

jdandy 07-19-2009 07:41 PM

wpines.......I don't believe you will need any isolation transformers, unless you have your heart set on a couple MPC1500's.

My advice is to run a minimum of two dedicated circuits to your rack location, and possibly a third one to where a powered sub may sit. The circuits should be 20 amps each, minimum 12 gauge wire, with seperate hot, neutral and ground for each circuit. If the circuit runs exceed 50 feet from the panel I would go to 10 gauge wire to keep voltage drop to a minimum. Keep the dedicated circuits, each dedicated circuit breaker, on the same phase in your panel. Use 20 amp PS Audio Soloist Premier outlets. Install surge protection on your house panel if it has not already been done.

wpines 07-19-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 28406)
wpines.......I don't believe you will need any isolation transformers, unless you have your heart set on a couple MPC1500's.

My advice is to run a minimum of two dedicated circuits to your rack location, and possibly a third one to where a powered sub may sit. The circuits should be 20 amps each, minimum 12 gauge wire, with seperate hot, neutral and ground for each circuit. If the circuit runs exceed 50 feet from the panel I would go to 10 gauge wire to keep voltage drop to a minimum. Keep the dedicated circuits, each dedicated circuit breaker, on the same phase in your panel. Use 20 amp PS Audio Soloist Premier outlets. Install surge protection on your house panel if it has not already been done.

Whose surge protection for the panel.
Your thoughts on isolation transformers?

Still-One 07-19-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpines (Post 28407)
Whose surge protection for the panel.
Your thoughts on isolation transformers?

There are may whole house surge protectors out there. I have a larger Square D uni, cost about $1700.

RodWelst 07-26-2009 07:58 AM

I put in two Dedicated Power lines(Deep Cryoed the wires) in each of my two systems.
Made a big sonic improvement to both systems.:music:

I got my 10-2 w/ground Cryo'd Romex here $2.99 a foot:
VH Audio - Wire and Cable

drummermitchell 01-09-2010 10:00 PM

I believe Torus makes a few whole house PUIS

beerdraft 01-17-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 28406)

Just curious as to what problems would be noticed if all three dedicated circuits weren't on the same leg or same phase in the panel?

f1 fan 01-17-2010 07:52 PM

Brad,

I agree with Dan, and like Jim I've got the same whole house protection. I use the Oyiade R-1 receptacles with the matching carbon fiber faceplates and 5 dedicated ac circuits. Overkill, yeah, probably, maybe but all the ht and stereo are in the same room. The dedicated ac makes a difference, let us know what your findings.

Dave

jdandy 01-17-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerdraft (Post 59438)
Just curious as to what problems would be noticed if all three dedicated circuits weren't on the same leg or same phase in the panel?

Neal......I have found on ocassion when using dedicated circuits on opposite phases that there is a greater potential for ground loops, and the associated hum. When all components in a system are using the same phase in the electrical panel I have never experienced ground loops. This is why I recommend it. I have all three of my dedicated circuits for my main system on "A" phase. In my studio the dedicated circuit for the HT system is on "B" phase, and the dedicated circuit for the two channel tube system is on "A" phase.

beerdraft 01-17-2010 08:33 PM

Interesting, so a ground loop is like being able to hear a small hum in your speakers, correct. I just realized that my circuits are not all on the same phase and in my right speaker only since I got the new system I hear a small very slight hum in the right speaker if I put my ear up to it when no music is playing. I never noticed that on the Mcintosh system, wonder why. Its not really seemed to mess up the sound but like I said if I put my ear to the one speaker I can hear it slightly. I have Mr. Sparky coming in the morning to fix it. I did check for this on my old system but believe when I checked I had conditioning on the amps back then and now I have none.