AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Dynaudio Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Dynaudio s5.4 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46298)

Subdood 07-21-2019 04:42 AM

Dynaudio s5.4

Hi picking up a second hand pair of Dynaudios 5.4 Tuesday
My first pair of Dynaudio
What are your thought on these speakers guys I like them but any hints or advise you have would be appreciated.
Also how do they rate against the new generation Dynaudio speakers?
Rose wood by the way

miner 07-22-2019 08:19 AM

Dynaudios are a fine speaker manufacturer - The Danes Know Music, as they say. I have not heard the S5.4 but have read positive reviews. What will be driving these Danes?

Jack in Wilmington 07-22-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul7000 (Post 973696)
What are your thought on these speakers guys I like them but any hints or advise you have would be appreciated.
Rose wood by the way

When the time comes I'll be giving the S5.4's every chance to be my next pair of speakers. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Puma Cat 07-22-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul7000 (Post 973696)
Rose wood by the way

Congrats on your S5.4s!

I've owned S3.4s for 10 years now and they are a fabulous speaker. I've upgraded mine to Esotar tweeters, but IIRC, your S5.4s already have Esotars.

You will find them very neutral, but very easy and natural to listen to for hours on end. They will never drive you of the room with listening fatique.

They are also incredibly fast and clean and can provide amazing "dynamic slam" even the most demanding orchestral passages. I've never heard mine "break up" even with the most challenging content. Dyns have very large voice coils (3") so they sound their best after being "warmed up" a bit for 15-20 minutes of play.

I don't know if yours are new or used, but be mindful that new Dyns take about 300 hours to run in and they can sound rather unpleasant from about 150-250 hours or so....once they get to 300 hours, they will be "there", the skies will open and the angels will sing. ;)

Dyns are best heard with the speakers placed 7 ft apart and you sitting 7 ft in front of them in an equilateral triangle. You can also sit further back (9-11 feet), but they will sound their very best per Dyn's set-up recommendations. If you have the owner's manual, read that and follow their guidance.

Hope this helps and enjoy your Dyns; they are a fabulous speaker.

Subdood 07-23-2019 04:10 AM

Omg

Got them home these things go deep.
And so easy on the ears to listen to.
Plea to information but silky smooth and fast!!
I was up till 5.00 am couldn’t get enough.
I picked these up for 4.5k Aud what a bargain.
I am driving them with an Onkyo 5 series about Reciever and they are good.
I have had big financial set back so I had to sell all my gear but I am on the mend and these are the first step to building a system.
I really real happy I needed a win!
I got one.
One thing also I noticed when I walk around the room the sound doesn’t really change what do you call this is it image or sound stage I also get confused with this terminology.
Hoped this helps a potential buyer.

Sermorebeer 08-05-2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul7000 (Post 973888)
Got them home these things go deep.
And so easy on the ears to listen to.
Plea to information but silky smooth and fast!!
I was up till 5.00 am couldn’t get enough.
I picked these up for 4.5k Aud what a bargain.
I am driving them with an Onkyo 5 series about Reciever and they are good.
I have had big financial set back so I had to sell all my gear but I am on the mend and these are the first step to building a system.
I really real happy I needed a win!
I got one.
One thing also I noticed when I walk around the room the sound doesn’t really change what do you call this is it image or sound stage I also get confused with this terminology.
Hoped this helps a potential buyer.

Congrats with your new win! They are nice..very indeed. My mate (also name Paul) has a pair of 5.4. As someone on this thread has stated, give give some room to breath and it will reward you with beautiful soundstage. And when funds allow, pick an amp that can match the speakers capabilities. Btw, where about are ya in Aus?

Subdood 08-06-2019 02:20 PM

Melbourne

Thanks
saving for amp now looking at Luxman 509x
Or m700u c700u depends on financial position

Sermorebeer 08-08-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul7000 (Post 975184)
Thanks
saving for amp now looking at Luxman 509x
Or m700u c700u depends on financial position

I've heard the Lux 509x driving a pair of C2 Platinum. Beautiful details and mids. Of course the c700u would be better (not that I've heard one), judging from where the where the Lux line up from 509 to m700u.

In the mean time, here is one over in WA:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...wer-amplifier/

Btw, I am from Melb too. :D

miner 08-11-2019 08:20 PM

You are on the right path to glorious tunes by upgrading your amp, and Luxman no less!

Subdood 08-13-2019 08:21 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 975838)
You are on the right path to glorious tunes by upgrading your amp, and Luxman no less!

Thanks I feel the same