AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Subwoofers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Main Speakers with 2 Subs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8499)

rscotth 05-26-2011 03:10 PM

Main Speakers with 2 Subs

Greeting,

I've been tinkering with this scenario for some time and wanted to get some feedback from the forum.

I'm running Klipsch P39F as my mains, with a pair of Klipsch Palladium subs. Processor is McIntosh MX150, amps are McIntosh 501's. Currently I run the mains as XXL (full range), and also send a full range signal to the subs off the unbalanced Left and Right and have the stereo subs crossed over at 40 Hz. I'm getting great results, but i am thinking I might be driving the mains to hard and might get better headroom if I dont send the full range signal to the mains. Let's say, send full down to 40 Hz to the mains and biamp the subs from 40 Hz and below.

My original set up was that way, but I felt I wasn't getting all I can out of the mains.

Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions on how I can efficiently optimize my set up?

I also want to add I have a pair of JL Audio f113's on the way, that I'll be using as my LFE for all multichannel sources. Thanks Ivan. Once those are in I might buy another pair for the fronts and do away with the Klipsch Palladium subs. We will see how it works out.

Thanks for listening,

Scott

MusicMike 05-26-2011 04:47 PM

Hi Scott,

Where do you have the subs positioned in the room?

rscotth 05-26-2011 05:33 PM

Right next to each of the Mains. LFE subs are in the rear of the room. But not to worried about them. My main concern is my front end.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

djwhog 05-26-2011 10:41 PM

I have played with the similar settings, the more you cut off the mains say at 40, the more bass it should direct to the subs.

At least that is what I seem to hear. i think I would do a custom setting based off of the Xl setting on the 150.

rscotth 05-26-2011 11:03 PM

So don't run the mains full signal? Cut them around 40ish Hz. ?

Masterlu 05-26-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rscotth (Post 168629)
So don't run the mains full signal? Cut them around 40ish Hz. ?

Run the mains at full signal Scott.

cougit25 05-27-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 168634)
Run the mains at full signal Scott.

:yes:

Scott...I use the same setup as you with my MX119. Full range signals to my fronts and same signal from the unbalanced outs to a right and left subs which are crossed over at about 35 Hz. Works great!! :thumbsup:

rscotth 05-27-2011 07:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I feel the full range signal to mains is best. Now I just need to get the subs dialed in better to blend with the mains. Seems to be tricky.

metaphacts 05-27-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rscotth (Post 168671)
Thanks for the feedback. I feel the full range signal to mains is best. Now I just need to get the subs dialed in better to blend with the mains. Seems to be tricky.

The biggest trick is to make sure that the mains are well connected to each other in the bass but not overly reinforcing. Your goal is even pressure from the mains before you begin on the sub. If you don't get that, the resulting bass with the sub will be subjectively slower and really difficult to dial in.

rscotth 05-27-2011 08:04 AM

I'll try that. I'm pretty close. I'll try calibration tones with an SPL meter.