AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Vinyl & Accessories (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Funk Firm Archomat and VPI Avenger (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38867)

mtroo 03-18-2017 11:54 AM

Funk Firm Archomat and VPI Avenger

I have an Avenger Reference TT en route and had been curious about an aftermarket mat. I am not really certain what mat comes with the Avenger. Does anyone have any experience with the Archomat? If so, which thickness?
Thanks in advance.

scirica 03-18-2017 12:23 PM

I put the 3mm "Archromat" on my Aries 3D and am very happy. You'll probably get the VPI felt mat with your Avenger.

There are thicker options, but I was looking for a thinner mat that coupled with the platter. I'm also using the Periphery Ring and a Stillpoints LP Isolator. It's a great system.

And if you are using the thick mat you can user either version of the LPI (short or long spindle).

Masterlu 03-18-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 837383)
I have an Avenger Reference TT en route and had been curious about an aftermarket mat. I am not really certain what mat comes with the Avenger. Does anyone have any experience with the Archomat? If so, which thickness?
Thanks in advance.

You will need a Stillpoints LPI long spindle clamp. :yes:

scirica 03-18-2017 01:02 PM

Ivan: Once I added the Funk Firm mat a long spindle version was no longer necessary. I would recommend going long spindle anyway assuming one may at some point switch to a thinner mat or no mat at all.

Masterlu 03-18-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 837399)
Ivan: Once I added the Funk Firm mat a long spindle version was no longer necessary. I would recommend going long spindle anyway assuming one may at some point switch to a thinner mat or no mat at all.

I am a fan of the stock mat. ;)

baddog 03-18-2017 03:02 PM

I am using the 3mm Funk Firm Achromat on my VPI. Very happy with it, however I have not compared lots of different mats. The thickness of the mat that ships with the VPI is 2.11mm.

Also using the Stillpoints LPI (long spindle).

Tim, congrats on the VPI Avenger Reference, I am sure you will love it once you receive it.

mtroo 03-18-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplexico (Post 837425)
I am using the 3mm Funk Firm Achromat on my VPI. Very happy with it, however I have not compared lots of different mats. The thickness of the mat that ships with the VPI is 2.11mm.

Also using the Stillpoints LPI (long spindle).

Tim, congrats on the VPI Avenger Reference, I am sure you will love it once you receive it.

Thanks. A lot of new gear in bound. An Esoteric E03, G02, a custom shelf for the Avenger to sit on. An Ortofon A95. A pair of PS Audio P10's. Getting excited.

baddog 03-18-2017 10:39 PM

Wow, that should make for a fun year for you!

What custom shelf did you get for the Avenger and rim drive?

mtroo 03-19-2017 02:06 AM

The Avenger Reference is magnetic drive.
I have a side by side HRS SXR rack. The custom shelf will span the top position. So, a single long shelf rather than 2 separate shelves.

fjn04 03-19-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplexico (Post 837504)
Wow, that should make for a fun year for you!

What custom shelf did you get for the Avenger and rim drive?

Barr- Miss you on the Shindo portion of AA. Did you end up selling your idler
setup. Didn't you have a Garrard w/ Lignolab plinth. (-: Fill me in....? Cheers -Don